Two 64 Allstates for Sale

Sell stuff. Buy stuff.
AirborneVespa

Re: Two 64 Allstates for Sale

Postby AirborneVespa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Ryan C and Libby both have trucks in Baltimore, and space to put the thing but I see that's worked out.

Fuck offering that dude any money, for all you know he stole the damned thing.
byelaya smert

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Wow....amazing work!.... Though I would think the guy was telling the truth. If he stole it wouldn't he have tried to give the bike a crappy paint job and sold it sooner or not just have ridden it once? He probably bought it for like 200 bucks.

Good luck!
~Jennifer

starreem

Postby starreem » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Wow, hope this works out and you get your scooter back. Good job for everyone else keeping an eye out for this.
Starr

seema

Postby seema » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Serendipity wrote:If he stole it wouldn't he have tried to give the bike a crappy paint job and sold it sooner or not just have ridden it once? He probably bought it for like 200 bucks.

Hahahah. Did you see Dave Hart's stolen GL that he was just reunited with? Still had the same custom Pollock-esque paint job, including a 12" Cutters logo on the legshield. Idiot threw it up on eBay as-is.

Enrique, in that case Dave called both the Columbus Police and his insurance company, since the insurance company was the technical owner after they paid out his claim. I believe his insurance company and the police worked out the details of retrieving it and then Dave bought it back from his insurance company.

Good luck getting your scoot back! Let us know how it works out!

colin

Postby colin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah, but sounds like Enrique never filed a police report....
Skyyywalker

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Spoke with the guy. He bought it from an impound lot. Dude tried really hard to disprove me, but I've got the title, photos of the scoot pre theft, a "stolen scoot" notice, invoices from Scooterworks that show that I purchased the same crash bars and cowl protectors its got on. I knew about the broken brake cable before it was shown to me, and know about the engine.

Mark Jurus did some work on this scooter in 2001. Alas, he couldn't find the invoice and I didn't bother keeping it. But still, worst case we can get the cops to show up and take that to Moto Strada to see if Mark remembers having worked on it. He said there are certain trademarks he would have the could prove it was in his shop.

Best of all, I may still have the key to the glovebox. That's pretty indisputable, no matter what else comes of this.

The scooter was stolen from Dean Hutchison's back yard, and I'm not sure if I'd left a set of keys with him (or if he bothered to keep them for a decade). I left Dean a FB email. If anyone's got his #, hit me up. The bigger the mountain of evidence I show up with, the better. I have a set of keys that's really odball and looks like they may be from the allstate. With some luck, they'll prove to be the right set.

I can't believe it. Even if this turns to shit and the guy blows me off and the cops refuse to do anything ( a possibility since the DC popo refused to allow me to issue a stolen vehicle report), at least I know where the scooter's been over the last ten years AND I can potentially keep new "owners" from re-registering via ITS. What is more, if dude proves to be uncool he goes to hell for selling stolen property LOL.

Stunned about this whole thing though. I really hope dude proves to be cool about this. If not, and things get too hot to handle, fuck it. It's an allstate. But it's MINE...

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm

wow...hope it goes ok. you have the title, so he's probably just negotiating. I wonder if he's got a receipt from the impound lot? Say his story is true- someone stole it, dumped it and he, independently paid the impound lot like a $100 for it. He's probably thinking you would have had to pay that anyway. IT does seem a little shady that the impound lot would sell it. I thought by law they had to scrap them?
~Jennifer

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 pm

may have been purchased at a police auction. since it had fead plates off another scoot they may have contacted my old addres via mail. im sure dude wikk fill me in on the last 10 years of this scootrs life.

Harley_Vespa
Location: Tallahassee, Miami, Panama, Va Beach, Dubai, Kabul, Houston, Bahrain, London

Postby Harley_Vespa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 pm

I just read this thread - any updates? Fights? Tire-irons?

epsato

Postby epsato » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 pm

$400 and an awkward encounter later, my old POS money put Allstate is back in my hands.

Bittersweet reunion, to say the least. Aside from the steering column and the MIA speedo, it's in exactly the same condition it was 10 years ago. In almost an eerie way. My old junk was still in the glovebox, as were my spare sets of cables.

The good: Body's still relatively solid, good tires from the last time it was serviced (by Moto strada...in 2000!), front brake's working. Original paint still looks decent, not much rust...all surface.

The bad: Pretty much everything else. For sure needs new cables, carb rebuild, new spark. May need the tank looked into/cleaned (likely), electrics may be shot (bulb replacements at least, but thanks to my VBB/VBA kick, I've got spares). Oh yes, and it's a fucking Allstate! I'll take up whoever's got a replacement fork, or may go with Juanpablo's idea of just replacing the spring.

As for dude, he was talking some BS about how someone had offered him $1200 for it. He claimed to have paid $500 from the police auction and said he had a bill of sale

Rather than deal with the hassle, I gave him $400. We proved it was the same scooter by checking out the vin. Sure enough, it's that crazy A5T sequence that isn't on any of the "find my vin" sites. The guy had my title in hand while I read the vin.

Surreal feeling seeing my old scoot from 10 years ago again, especially since it just sat in a warehouse for a decade. Folks with spare VBA/VNB goodies, hit me up. In search of 150 vbb type top end, Sito+ type exhaust, etc. Got some time to get this back on the road as the Warriors still takes priority...

colin

Postby colin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I have a blanking plate for that speedo hole if you want it (at least until you get a replacement).

Awesome you got it back, though sucks you had to pay _anything_ for it!
Skyyywalker

epsato

Postby epsato » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Yes, blanking plate's ideal for now.

Thanks,
Q

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

colin wrote:Awesome you got it back, though sucks you had to pay _anything_ for it!

It cost Naked Dave like $1400 to get his back. He had it insured and they paid out, so when the bike turned up he had to buy it back from them. Plus, I think he had to pay storage fees for the impound lot they put it in while the gears were turning for it to get returned.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

colin

Postby colin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah, but as I heard the story, the insurance paid him WAY more than that for it, so he came out ahead (or at least even).
Skyyywalker

Return to “Classifieds”