Tony-please offer this guy $500 LOL

Sell stuff. Buy stuff.
epsato

Tony-please offer this guy $500 LOL

Postby epsato » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Hella overpriced 1964 V9a. Dude wants $3500! Stock engine no less. Come on! Add a 19/19 carb and a banana exhaust, slash the price by half and MAYBE it's an okay (but still on the higher end) price.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2565057231.html

I felt ripped off paying $600 for a running '64 v9a. I feel bad for the sucka' who goes for this...

dirtyhandslopez

Re: Tony-please offer this guy $500 LOL

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Not everyone feels the need to go fast. They are a good little putter. Any 40 year old + scooter in good running condition is worth at least a grand. Last 90 I sold went for a tad more than that, but it had been gone through. A standard, good conditon 90 is actually sort after by collectors in Italy, they were only made for a short time...
That's not going anywhere

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 pm

dirtyhandslopez wrote:Not everyone feels the need to go fast. They are a good little putter. Any 40 year old + scooter in good running condition is worth at least a grand. Last 90 I sold went for a tad more than that, but it had been gone through. A standard, good conditon 90 is actually sort after by collectors in Italy, they were only made for a short time...

If we're talking about the same v9a ('64 smallframe Tony owned for a bit), that one had a brand new 19/19 carb, new banana pipe from scooterwest, and a brand new larger sized tank that was custom fitted by sawing off the toolbox bar. It was a decent running scoot when I'd done the work on it, but I'm sure it became a great scoot once you'd redone the work and made sure it was done properly :) In that instance, that's a 90 worth spending $1500 on (sheeit, between the purchase price and parts that is what I'd spent on it LOL). But that's $1500 for a solid runner with cool upgrades purchased from a legit and respected mechanic. That makes perfect sense.

But man, $3500 for a stock '64 v9a rebuilt by some unknown who claims he did the work himself? That scooter better have a vagina for all the screwing that's going on.

Now you may be onto something. Cheapie '64 v9as are a dime a dozen in the states. Maybe we could do a reverse "pirate imports", fix them here and ship them to Europe for profit? I love the idea of Italians riding on "genuine American restorations" LOL

I do think the shape and appeal of the smallies is very real. Having owned two myself, I'm pro smallframe. They handle like a dream and turn heads in a way the larger framed scooters just can't. And if you like to ride with a hot chica on the back, smallies make for snugglier riding.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:48 pm

It actually ended up with a bone stock motor in it from another 90. Still have a frame, tank, seats, all cabled up, with a loom, the works, if you have a motor to drop in it.
Sold that frame from Tony and my motor to an Italian in Charlottesville.
Smallies are the only Vespa's worth having. All the others have a clutch on the end of a crank, bloody stupid idea :lol:
When Gene and I were in Miami doing the Vespa school back in 2000, Rhino, the Piaggio President in the USA at the time, told us Lambrettas are better for racing. Nuff said...
Wearing Lammy t-shirts the whole week was just coincedental of course :)

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 am

dirtyhandslopez wrote:It actually ended up with a bone stock motor in it from another 90. Still have a frame, tank, seats, all cabled up, with a loom, the works, if you have a motor to drop in it.

Hmmmm, the plot thickens. If I find a spare smallie motor lying about, I'll give you a jingle. Buying back old scoots/models I'd either sold or lost seems to be a running theme with me...

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 pm

epsato wrote:
dirtyhandslopez wrote:It actually ended up with a bone stock motor in it from another 90. Still have a frame, tank, seats, all cabled up, with a loom, the works, if you have a motor to drop in it.

Hmmmm, the plot thickens. If I find a spare smallie motor lying about, I'll give you a jingle. Buying back old scoots/models I'd either sold or lost seems to be a running theme with me...

Better make a move soon before the skeeters carry it away :shock: :)

Return to “Classifieds”