WTB: 60s Vespa

Sell stuff. Buy stuff.
toigo

Re: WTB: 60s Vespa

Postby toigo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:55 pm

That smallframe in raleigh already sold :( My girlfriend has been wanting a smallframe as well and it would have been perfect.

toigo

Postby toigo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Mike is spot on with his advice. I had a relatively quick bike in the CORSA but didn't do too hot due to not studying the route and missing turns. Joe who won the CORSA rode very solid and also studied the route very well. The keys are pretty much having a reliable bike that can cruise at a decent speed, not getting lost, and being prepared to rejet properly if you are going to higher altitudes. I didn't rejet when we went through the mountains out west and holy shit was that bad. 10 to 15 mph up hill or so into the wind.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:58 pm

This whole thing seems goofy to me.......first of all, yeah, congrats to the dude on the Salsbury, but that's kinda BS stuffing such a huge-ass motor in a rusty frame and calling it a scooter. Sorry, but I think that's a dick move. Ruins the 'spirit' of the race in my opinion.

Now the rules have some combo deal, better, but what about using a new "kit" for an old motor? Does that make the motor suddenly new? Where do you draw the line? If you use an old 150 top end and piston, say on a 125 engine, swap gears too, then it's okay in my book, b/c it's something you could have done back when the scooter was new.
John F.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am

Matt, why don't you buy Norm's Smallframe for your GF? We were thinking about it for a raffle bike for Indian summer this year but we won't have our shit together until after dogwood (at the earliest). He seems to be interested in a sale (if he hasn't already).

Rulz is rulz. I think the Salisbury guy is genius for doing what he did. So genius it forced the rulemakers to change them. To me that means you have exploited the parameters which have been given to you perfectly, which we all debating here in exactly the same way for the new rules. Same thing happens in Formula One and moto GP every year. Some engineer figures out a way to exploit the rules and the rulemakers are forced to change them. Some of the most iconic formula one cars are still remembered for these reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

Or in Rally for example the Group B cars have been totally outlawed (for being too fucking awesome) but that class of racers will always be remembered...I think that is the spirit of racing right there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_B

I could see knowing the route making a huge difference over just being flat out fast. I used to do Rallycross and Road Rally (cages) and 9 times out of 10 the winner or best time was always someone who was the tortise instead of the hair. Same in long distance cycling, each wrong turn takes way more time up than you can make up on the speed of these things. For road rally or TSD being fast means more about not making mistakes than it does being flat out all the time.

mY .02....anyhow, dude just posted a super I think...that's your next project right there Matt.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 am

Brody bought my smallframe a month or so ago ... wasn't Toigo's first scooter Marca's green Super? (that was a Super, right) .... it's a cyclical hobby in which we indulge.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:05 pm

I was hoping you still had it norm...oh well, that's what I get for expecting a scooter club to have their shit together, good for you and hopefully Brody will bring it around some...lol.

Oddly, both of my vintage scoots haven't seen anyone's dirty asses around here. I bought my GL from Icehouse but it was in barn find condition when I got it from him and my P200 was definitely beat to hell by New York (like upstate, not the city) rednecks who probably haven't seen the inside of a classroom let alone a scooter rally. Kicking myself every day on that one......a super $600 deal has turned out to be an uber-nightmare. I could have bought Andrea's P and a project bike at this point.

TL;DR- Buying scoots from friends is nice.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Matt, here's a Sprint for you 1970...already up to $420 though and 6 days to go but looks like a good candidate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE- ... 3f2430a51a

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:08 pm

And a 1959 125cc set of engine case halves....damn that shit is old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1959-Ve ... ts&vxp=mtr

toigo

Postby toigo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the sprint, but wouldn't pay a whole lot more than it's already at and it would take some cash to go pick it up.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Is the frame cracked above the horn? Is that a common problem for old sprints? I know that the leg shields always devleop cracks at the top, but I've never seen a crack there before.

I have a 1970 Sprint too, but it's getting a 2009 Stella 2T, so it won't do much for handicaping.

I think that Salsbury is pretty nifty. I like the idea of the modern motor in an old scoot. I've done the measurements and done some of the drawings to put a DR-Z 400 motor in a Lambretta, I figure if it was done right, you'd be able to almost competely hide it in the stock body work. The only issue is the radiator, but I found a small displacement sportbike rad that is small enought to fit under the fender, behind the front tire. I think it'd be fun to have a fast, reliable scooter, that doesn't require constant fiddling and gets decent economy.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 am

Cheapish and slow, but kits available or find a new engine.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/3749658163.html

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Allstate for sale in PA. Deyz askin $700, looks clean and original paint though.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3755887335.html

Return to “Classifieds”