WTB Clean Smallframe Gas Tank

Sell stuff. Buy stuff.
toigo

WTB Clean Smallframe Gas Tank

Postby toigo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm looking for a clean gas tank for the 66 sears smallframe that I've got. They're about $100 online, but I wanted to see if anyone here had one.

I attempted to clean the one it had, but it's still too grimey and turned the gas in it brown. To clean it I banged around muriatic acid (never doing that again...) with debris a few times, hosed it out good, blasted the inside dry with an air compressor, and then coated the inside with 2 stroke oil. It looked pretty good when I was done. It had been sitting with some gas in it for 2 months while I was rebuilding the rest of the bike and the gas is a nice dark brown color from new rust.

I also checked with a shop nearby about cleaning/coating it and it would be way more than $100. Alternatively if anyone wants the grimey gas tank, let me know. If anyone has a clean smallframe gas tank let me know.

Mikeh

Re: WTB Clean Smallframe Gas Tank

Postby Mikeh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Try putting a gallon of kerosene or acetone in it with a pile of nuts and bolts. Plug the bottom and top and shake it up every day or so.. let it sit for a week.. then drain and rinse it our with water in a shop sink.. followed by using a dremel with a shaft extension and a wire wheel on the end.. it will come clean.

Or buy a new one.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:35 am

It's a small frame... just pull the tank out and put an old milk jug in it's place... I'm sure that'll be safe.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:16 pm

There is a small frame tank on ebay right now that is in Maryland.. I think it was at $40 last night.

Return to “Classifieds”