WTB 50CC Scooter for $500 or less

Sell stuff. Buy stuff.
oakleym82

WTB 50CC Scooter for $500 or less

Postby oakleym82 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Looking for my first scooter. Must be under 50CC so I can park on the sidewalk. Title or other paperwork accepted to register in DC a must. Advice welcome :)

spoffy

Re: WTB 50CC Scooter for $500 or less

Postby spoffy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Welcome to WMASA! I don't have a 50cc scooter for sale, but perhaps someone else will be able to point you in the right direction. (This site is primarily vintage scooters, as well, so you may want to keep an eye on CL if you're looking for something more modern.)

I will say that this is the first I've ever heard of a "50cc sidewalk scooter parking is okay" rule. You may want to doublecheck that because, as far as I know, parking on the sidewalk has always been at-your-own-risk.
mille posti

epsato

Re: WTB 50CC Scooter for $500 or less

Postby epsato » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:12 pm

In general, I tend to advise against 50CC scooters, especially if you plan to register it. 50CC scooters are usually outgrown within a year. Anything under $500 in that category is also likely to be Chinese made. Which is fine, if you only plan to ride it for a summer. After about a year, most Chinese scoots have some breakdown and there's no spare parts for them. Hence, it's like a disposable lighter.

If you're seeking a budget scoot, aim for a kymco, sym, yamaha or honda scooter. Those'll range closer to $1000, but on the upside: Shops will work on them, you won't outgrow them in 2 months, you can likely resell it when you want to pick up something new, and they aren't likely to get you made fun of.

People do park bigger scooters on the sidewalks. The way to do it is to get industrial strength velcro: You then remove the plates when the scooter's parked. Easy peasy. Illegal, but not enforced so it's all good.

Return to “Classifieds”