ITS, Anyone used this lately?

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
Mikeh

Re: ITS, Anyone used this lately?

Postby Mikeh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Do you need to be a VA resident to register a scooter there? Or can I register my scooter in VA and have my mailing address be in maryland?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to get a proper title for my scoot but I'm not about to pay $100 for a title fee in maryland plus pay trasfer fees of $60 or whatever.

I'd pay $100 or less to get the title.. otherwise I'll just live with the Vermont registration and leave it be.

Also in VA would I need an inspection or any other non-sense to get through the paper work and get a VA plate and title for my scoot? It's a 64 Vespa Allstate.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Mikeh wrote:Do you need to be a VA resident to register a scooter there? Or can I register my scooter in VA and have my mailing address be in maryland?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to get a proper title for my scoot but I'm not about to pay $100 for a title fee in maryland plus pay trasfer fees of $60 or whatever.

I'd pay $100 or less to get the title.. otherwise I'll just live with the Vermont registration and leave it be.

Also in VA would I need an inspection or any other non-sense to get through the paper work and get a VA plate and title for my scoot? It's a 64 Vespa Allstate.

I don't know if there are any residency requirements to obtain a title........I guess you can go the VA DMV site and look around......never was an issue, since I've always lived here when obtaining a title, obviously.

No inspection to get a title....... if you want to register/plate it.......then you would need to just show proof of insurance......and inspection is on your head.
John F.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Yes, residency is a requirement.
That's not going anywhere

Harley_Vespa
Location: Tallahassee, Miami, Panama, Va Beach, Dubai, Kabul, Houston, Bahrain, London

Postby Harley_Vespa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 am

OK -this may sound dumb but are you using ITS or Vermont because you are trying to register a grey-market bike?

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't think there is anything "grey" market about my scooter. I but somewhere in the ownership history someone must have lost the title or there was never one issued.

ITS is nonresponsive and slow. And ewhen I used them in the past they simply gave me a vermont registration and tag.

Recenltly Shane and i have both done this on our own by going straight to Vermont and just asking them to provide the stuff.

I am using Vermont to get a registration and a license plate. They do not offer titles. But if you get the registration and license plate you can drive your scooter on the road.

And if yo uwant a title, then you can take the Vermont registration to your DMV and tranfser the ownership to your state that will likely issue a title for it and you then have a valid title and registration in your state.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm

I was talking to Icehouse this weekend and he told me that the last bike he registered, title, tags, tax and all cost him ~$180. That was using a Vermont tag and going to get a Md. title, etc.

That's effin extortion.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

The vermont part of it is about $70.

It's maryland that is the pisser.

Even if you had a title for the scooter.. it will NOW cost you $100 for tranfering the title to your name in MD. Plus a $38.40 minimum in taxes. Plus $20 for temp registration. Plus $10 for plates. So that's $168.00 to Maryland.

I'm not going to register my scooter in Maryland. I'll just rock the Vermont plates and be done with it.
I figure if I ever get in trouble doing this then the fine will be less than $168 and I will continue with the vermont plates.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Va rocks :)
That's not going anywhere

seema

Postby seema » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm

$240/$120 to title/register my Primaveras in PA (the first did not come with a title and required going through the court system). SO doing the Cento/Brio in VA.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah cut out the temps and the two year registration is $51... so like $180.
Zayretow

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Yeah cut out the temps and the two year registration is $51... so like $180.
Zayretow

Bobo

Postby Bobo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Right on Mike. Never had any problems with my Oregon tag on the GTV. I just wasted $600 titling my daughter's new used car in MD when I should have done it in Mississippi at her college. Much cheaper and insurance is half the cost.

I don't even have enough electrons on the web to tell the full story of last week's MVA snafu in which they thought her middle name is her last name at the MVA, and it has caused all kinds of hell. This is such a ridiculous police state when it comes to vehicles.

I'm 18 years a temporary Marylander but always a Virginian!

Mikeh wrote:maryland sucks donkey balls

they just raised the title fee from $50 to $100.

What a crock of crap.

I guess i'll just keep my Vermont tag and rock it vermont style.

I know it's MD law that you need to register your vehicles here within 30 days of being here. But I'll take the chance of getting caught and if caught I thing the ticket would be a warning anyways or the fee would be less then $100. So forget it MD.

So now instead of getting SOME of my money, Maryland has rasied thier fees and they will be getting NONE of my money.

Way to go Maryland. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will think along these lines. Get ready to see many out of state plates in our fair state.
Bobo

Coast2CoastX2 2006 blog: bobovespa.blogspot.com
yes I'm on Facebook

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am

I moved here 7+ years ago and have registered three cars, one trailer and one motorcycle. The first car was my Crown Vic I bought briefly before moving here. They charged me tax on what I still owed on the note for the car. Yeah, tax, after I had already paid 6% when I bought it in Ohio, I paid another 5% on the remaining lien amount... it worked out to paying something like 9% on the car. I was furious. All said and done, that thing cost me around $500 to title and register here in MD.

My Jeep. It was only 24 years old when I moved here and they required me to have it inspected. After being told by the guy at the inspection station that it was one of the nicest builds he had seen, he informed me that it would never pass inspection. (Too many emissions stuff gone) Luckily I found an exception in the historic vehicle laws that allowed me to get it through un-inspected because it was more than 10 years out of production and 20 model years old. (The law has since changed) But I had to get a letter from Daimler Chrysler tracing my VIN. It only cost me $91, $40 for the title and $51 for the tags.

My Subaru needed struts to pass inspection. I purchased them and installed them myself. The inspection then required an alignment and four light bulbs to pass. It cost me $150 for the inspection, $300 for the struts, $400 in tax, $40 for title and $81 for tags. Yep, nearly $1000 to put my car on the road here.

I found a inspector with a fancy pen to get my trailer registered, but it still cost my over $100 to get it tagged.

Any my RD with its historic plates cost me about $180, but I went to a Terry's Tag and Title branch to avoid the lines at the Montgomery County DMV. So it could have been cheaper, but my time was worth more to me than sitting in that godawful place for 1/2 a day to get title work done.

I'll never register another car in this state unless it's absolutely necessary. And any future motorcycle purchases will have Vermont tags. I was thinking about setting up temporary resident status and moving my address back to my dad's in Ohio.
Zayretow

colin

Postby colin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Recently added up my costs and I _think_ for one classic car, two scooters and a motorcycle it was a little over $1000 total for DC. And of course none of this is counting the yearly renewals. I think minimum in DC is about $54 per vehicle (more if it's newer/expensive/heavy/whatevever, but a flat low rate if it's registered historic, which I think is impossible as far as I can tell for historic vehicles even though the LAW does not exclude them).
Skyyywalker

sadsack

Postby sadsack » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:59 pm

my vermont plate and registration FINALLY came in the mail today from ITS (as many of you know from my !!!!!-laden FB post) a good 6 + months after it was supposed to, and i'm certain i only got it as "soon" as i did thanks to a nice letter threatening to take them to court that Elise drafted for me, sent registered mail a month ago.

they are now up to 124 complaints this year with the Better Business Bureau.

so! to recap: ITS super sucks. just wanted to share my update and closure.

Return to “Scooter BS”