ITS, Anyone used this lately?

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
shane

Re: ITS, Anyone used this lately?

Postby shane » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

I have VT paperwork ready to mail out tomorrow for my CT 90.

What you need:

1. Bill of sale. This does not have to be notarized.

2. VT Form 119

3. Check for payment - 41$ for one year (motorcycle) and whatever 6% of the sale price is for taxes. They use NADA trade-in values.

I'll keep ya posted. The folks I just spoke with in the CT forum state that sometimes VT will require a VIN inspection to be done by a local MVA/DMV representative. You can't fudge this as they need to have a NVTIS # to put on the form.
Sloth love Chunk!

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 am

Yup,
I've got my bill of sale and VT form filled out. I am going to call them this morning just before I send the paperwork in.

Susan

Postby Susan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am

I highly recommend the other method of titling in Vermont: walk into the DMV, walk out with plates & registration. $51 - regardless of the stated value, the tax is no lower than $10.

Seriously, it's a beautiful place in the summer. Just a few hours' from Smallstate - worth the side trip. And pick up some Sapling while you're there...
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Ah Sapling, delicious Sapling…
Ey-o, o-ey.

cuesta

Postby cuesta » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 am

Wow threaten to take them to small claims court and SURPRISE a package shows up.

Anyway so I got a few questions here, sorry I'm the middle man in the situation but I'm kind of curious as to how this works.

Looks like it's a Vermont tag and registration. So I'm assuming Vermont has some law regarding this type of vehicle not needing a title or they don't require a title at all?

So I guess my question would be how would do you use this to transfer over to a MD tag? The back of the registration has a "transfer of ownership" certificate. Would you take this to the DMV in lieu of a title? Would you be able to apply for a MD title with this or just take this in in order to transfer your registration to MD?

Anyone here know?
My other ride is Michael Garrett.

shane

Postby shane » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

Yeah... You got what you need.

Take a bill of sale and your Vermont registration to the MVA. The registration serves as your proof of ownership.

Vermont does not title vehicles older than 15 years old. Maryland HAS to use the registration from VT as your proof of ownership.
Sloth love Chunk!

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

Yes, I did this last year with my TX200.. I just took to the vermont registration, my bill of sale, proof of insurane into the MVA along with the proper Maryland forms filled out.. and Maryland handed me a tag and registration. The title came in the mail about 2 weeks later.

My paperwork for my Blue VBB will go out today.. (I had to redo my bill of sale since the prvious owners address was not on it.). But since the accept a non-notarized copy of a bill of sale I was able to get this via email to the old owner (who I bought this from 5 years ago).

good luck with it all

mike

starreem

Postby starreem » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

If you really are moving out of state, rock that VT tag and reg till you get settled in your new state. Transfer tag and reg once, rather than multiple times, saves $$ and headaches.
Starr

cuesta

Postby cuesta » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:23 pm

It's for a bike that she's sold. So I guess she can just fill out the back, sign, and hand it off to the buyer.

I may keep the plate and use it to title my Jet200 and Primavera. See what Mike comes back with.
My other ride is Michael Garrett.

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Mike, I had a lot of trouble getting the desk people at the MVA to take my ITS paperwork seriously ("you need a title! this is not a title!").

May happen with you, may not. If it does, stick to your guns and keep repeating yourself ("It's a Vermont thing, they don't title bikes predating 19XX—read the letter!") till they send you to a supervisor. It took about 5 minutes once they sent me to someone who knew what they were talking about.

Good luck!
mille posti

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Oh, and also you need to tell MVA that it's for occasional use as a parade vehicle or something like that so you can get historic plates.

This will allow you to title the scooter without an inspection.

I just stuffed my forms into an envelope and mailed it off to thier montpellier office a few minutes ago.

Stay tuned.. i should be getting plates in about 2 weeks.

And Laura, I didn't get any hassles at the Glen Burnie MVA office when i got there at opening time. I think the branch offices are prone to delegating things to Glenn Burnie.. so i don't mess arounf with branch offices.. i just go to Glen burnie and I get there early before they develope a tude.

shane

Postby shane » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:25 pm

The MVA title information website specifically states:

Proof of ownership - You must submit the vehicle's current title that has been properly assigned to you. Note that if the title was issued in Maryland, it can be used as your application form for titling and registering the vehicle. A registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership ONLY if the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership.

Now, my question is: What would they do if the Bill of Sale states that the address of the previous owner is from XYZ State instead of VT. The MVA says the vehicle has to be FROM a state that doesn't issue titles. That's one bend they can take on it, so be prepared for that.

Mike: Does VT put any of the original "owner's" info on the registration? IE - If I bought a bike from WV, does the VT title show that it came from WV, or does it only have my Maryland info on it?
Sloth love Chunk!

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm

From memory last time.. i went in to MVA and said.. "I have this scooter that I own and it's registered in Vermont.. I had it up there while I was on vacation and now I'm back in maryland and I need to get rid of my vermont plate and get a MD one". I filled out the form like I was transfering the scoot into the state, I did not come off like I was buying the scoot from someone in another state.

They wanted the bill of sale from when i got the scooter in Vermont so that they could have something to justify the taxes that would be charged. I don't beleive there was anything on the vermont paperwork saying where the scooter came from or who previously owned it.

It was really no problem.. it just cost money at the MVA.. i recall it was like $140.

Well, like I said.. in a couple of weeks my memory will be refreshed on all this and we will know all the costs and any snags that may pop up.

shane

Postby shane » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

Vermont cashed my check yesterday. 6 days from the date I mailed it. I would expect that this means my paperwork was accepted. Should be getting plates soon.

Mike - so you didn't need to show a bill of sale at the MVA?
Sloth love Chunk!

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:46 am

I can't remeber what I needed at the MVA. To be safe I would have a notarized bill of sale with original signatures.. this is not a problem for me since I have an admin assistant in my office that is a notary.. and she will notarize anything that i put on her desk if I ask nicely. The only thing you should need the bill of sale for is to justify the cost for taxes since you will be trafering the registration from another state into maryland and will not be tranfering ownership (Ownership tranfer was done when you registered it in Vermont).

I suppose I should get my plates soon too then.

Great.

Return to “Scooter BS”