Tedford

Re: ITS, Anyone used this lately?

Postby Tedford » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Hey congrats!
Ey-o, o-ey.

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Sounds like between Vermont registration and ITS' suckitude that a pretty big niche has opened for a scooter titling company...

Any lawyers here feel like starting a business/ cottage industry?

Bobo

Postby Bobo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Going direct to Vermont worked great for me. I went in person but mail is fine too. It was about $80. Highly recommended. No VIN check or anything, just a bill of sale. Just google their website.
Bobo

Coast2CoastX2 2006 blog: bobovespa.blogspot.com
yes I'm on Facebook

JV

Postby JV » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Bobo, were you able to easily convert the Vermont "registration" into a Maryland "title"??

or just gonna run Vermont tags?

oh yeah, did it require proof of insurance to get the Vermont registration? The concern here, if not obvious, is whether you need to get liability insurance for a non running bike to get the VT registration.....to be converted to a title somewhere hopefully :)

thanks,
fried okra

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 pm

No insurance is needed to get vermont plates. They do have some wording in their paper work that says if you go on the road then you need insurance, but they do not enforce it through any registration process.

And YES it is easy to transfer it to maryland however the maryalnd fees are about $180. (Up until about 6 months ago the md fees were about half this much). And in maryland you will need proof of insurance to register it in maryland.

I transfered my TX to maryland from vermont. But my VBB will remain with the smaller and cooler looking little green license plate.

Susan

Postby Susan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I took my Vermont registration (no title) to the DC DMV and got a DC title without any fuss.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

Bobo

Postby Bobo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 pm

JV wrote:Bobo, were you able to easily convert the Vermont "registration" into a Maryland "title"??

or just gonna run Vermont tags?

oh yeah, did it require proof of insurance to get the Vermont registration? The concern here, if not obvious, is whether you need to get liability insurance for a non running bike to get the VT registration.....to be converted to a title somewhere hopefully :)

thanks,
fried okra

Didn't try to take the Vermont reg to Maryland. Vermont made me write down the insurance company and policy number but I didnt have to provide evidence. I don't see a problem; I wouldnt insure or tag a bike until I got it running or was about to.
Bobo

Coast2CoastX2 2006 blog: bobovespa.blogspot.com
yes I'm on Facebook

starreem

Postby starreem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 pm

I just sent off paperwork last week to Vermont DMV. Got it all back, with a nice letter explaining I needed to send more money. Apparently the minimum motorcycle value is $500 despite my bill of sale for $400.

The form looks like it is all ready to go, with all their portions filled in as well as corrections to my entries: mostly abbreviations to words I spelt out. Hopefully by sending a new check, I'll have a nice green tag in a week or so. Nearly a painless process.

Some one up-thread asked about filling out the blank for VT License No. in section 4A. I left it blank, and they filled in an assigned number.
Starr

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

Keep us updated, Starr...I've been loath to buy a scooter since I heard about this IBTS trouble...
~Jennifer

starreem

Postby starreem » Fri May 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Vermont plate with temp registration card and sticker in my mailbox today. Woo hoo!

Two and a half week turnaround time, even with the paperwork snafu. Not bad.
Starr

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 pm

CRAP! VNA's VIN # is not visible because it's powdercoated over.

How do I title a scoot with no VIN? Things just got complicated...

Can I use the VIN from the engine to register, or will that only screw things up even more?

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 am

Strip the powder coat off the area with with VIN. If you block sand it down you will see the numbers clearly when the metal is exposed on the high area and the depressions remain powder coated. Then go to home depot and get a paint matched quart or exterior paint. You will need some touch up paint when you assemble that scooter anyways.

And then take the number and send your info off to vermont.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 am

Or you may be able to do a rubbing on the back side of the VIN and get the number that way.

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 am

The Engine has a Vin # listed.

Would they match on a 59? I was able to determine the year and model (VNA2T). The engine vin I have in hand. With it I could get my registration before the scooter's even here!

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 am

epsato wrote:The Engine has a Vin # listed.

Would they match on a 59? I was able to determine the year and model (VNA2T). The engine vin I have in hand. With it I could get my registration before the scooter's even here!

Engine/frame numbers never matched.
John F.

Return to “Scooter BS”