Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
Zeets

Re: Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Postby Zeets » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 am

I know that when I was mucking around with my lammy the folks at jet200.com were helpful and informitive.

Also, Matt Smith has a 30mm Indian round-slide knock-off carb that I think he'd part with reasonably. It's unused. If you're going the big bore route, you'll need to upgrade the stock lammy intake/exhaust as they're pretty restrictive.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

cuesta

Postby cuesta » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 am

Yea I don't know a stock jet200 is pretty bullet proof. I'd go the route of buying an oversize piston and bore and be done with it.

Have you ridden this thing yet? They can be an electrical mess, so you may want to sort that out if you have to before you go messing with putting new carbs/exhausts/kits. I found that getting jet200 parts was a pain in the arse. Some places carry a few parts, while others (like jet200.com) never have them in stock. For example, if that thing still has the original one piece headlamp, just about no one had the replacement 2 part (american vespa sprint style) headlamp a few months back.
My other ride is Michael Garrett.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 am

cuesta wrote:Yea I don't know a stock jet200 is pretty bullet proof. I'd go the route of buying an oversize piston and bore and be done with it.

Have you ridden this thing yet? They can be an electrical mess, so you may want to sort that out if you have to before you go messing with putting new carbs/exhausts/kits. I found that getting jet200 parts was a pain in the arse. Some places carry a few parts, while others (like jet200.com) never have them in stock. For example, if that thing still has the original one piece headlamp, just about no one had the replacement 2 part (american vespa sprint style) headlamp a few months back.

If casalambretta (now jet200) doesn't have it, they will order/get it in within a couple of months.....sucks, but you will get it. Other than that, I've had good luck with foreign shops, mostly in the U.K. for many parts the state-side shops often do not have. Of course, there is always ebay.......I have a specfic search set up for serveta parts.
John F.

seema

Postby seema » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm getting more and more wary of Casa. At the end of January I asked them to place an order with their supplier for some parts they had on backorder. At the end of April they sent me an e-mail asking me to pre-pay for those parts so they could place the order. (And when I hadn't paid after 36 hours they sent me another e-mail saying that if I didn't pay RIGHT NOW I'd be left out of the order.) Paid them the money and haven't heard a peep since then...

Overall, I've had much faster turnaround from WCLW, which is apparently unusual. (The one order I placed with Guillermo got to me in 3 weeks.) Maybe it's a J-range thing.

I've heard nothing but good things about scooterrestorations.com and they're consistently a few dollars cheaper than the other places, so I'm planning on getting the rest of my stuff from there. The only problem is that they're in the UK and I don't want to pay shipping for multiple orders, so I'm waiting until I'm 100% sure my list of needed parts is complete.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 pm

seema wrote:I'm getting more and more wary of Casa. At the end of January I asked them to place an order with their supplier for some parts they had on backorder. At the end of April they sent me an e-mail asking me to pre-pay for those parts so they could place the order. (And when I hadn't paid after 36 hours they sent me another e-mail saying that if I didn't pay RIGHT NOW I'd be left out of the order.) Paid them the money and haven't heard a peep since then...

Overall, I've had much faster turnaround from WCLW, which is apparently unusual. (The one order I placed with Guillermo got to me in 3 weeks.) Maybe it's a J-range thing.

I've heard nothing but good things about scooterrestorations.com and they're consistently a few dollars cheaper than the other places, so I'm planning on getting the rest of my stuff from there. The only problem is that they're in the UK and I don't want to pay shipping for multiple orders, so I'm waiting until I'm 100% sure my list of needed parts is complete.

Yeah, I here you on casa.......the transition of casa ending and Mark taking over at Jet200 I thnk is causing issues/problems.........oh well. Recently got an Li handlebar switch in like 3 days after calling. All depends I guess.

I refuse to buy anything from WCLW........ever again. Long story, not going to get into it on here.

I buy from scooterrestorations all the time.........they're great, and ship pretty damn quickly from the UK.
Last edited by imjuanpablo on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
John F.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 am

seema wrote:Overall, I've had much faster turnaround from WCLW, which is apparently unusual. (The one order I placed with Guillermo got to me in 3 weeks.) Maybe it's a J-range thing.

Guillermo is an asshole that owes me $63.00 for parts he never shipped. He stopped answering the phone and my returning my messages.

I can't wait to go to San Diego (means "whales vagina" in Spanish) this fall for work, I'm going to get my $63.00 from that fuck-stick hell or high water.
Zayretow

seema

Postby seema » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 am

Zeets wrote:Guillermo is an asshole that owes me $63.00 for parts he never shipped. He stopped answering the phone and my returning my messages.

I have heard 1 million stories exactly like this. Talk to Oliver Sitrin sometime (Cyd's boy) if you want to hear real horror stories that make your experience sound like a hangnail.

All I can say is that in 6 months of actively looking, he was the only person who had J-range saddle/passenger seats. He claimed they were in such great condition they could easily be used on a full resto, and that turned out to be a crock of shit, but I actually got the seats (and in 3 weeks to boot) so I consider myself lucky.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I'll admit- that prick suckered me in with my first ordering experience with him. I placed an order with WCLW and in five days received my stuff, minus two back ordered times. (which I wasn't informed about being back ordered) I tried him a second time and that's when I got stung. After about two weeks I called him and in said he was waiting for one item to come in and he'd ship. I waited another week and called back, he said the item was there and he'd be shipping the next day. I waited a week, called him and got no answer, so I left a message. I did that four times and sent a couple emails, never got a response.

He and his shithole company are dead to me.

I hope he gets struck on the 101 by an angry, rich, celebrity-socialite driving an Escalade while under the influence of pain-killers and xanax, who backs over him as well, only to escape prosecution because her billionaire father hires top-notch lawyers.

I'll feel as if my $63.00 was well spent then.
Zayretow

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 pm

starreem wrote:I'm guessing Hurley was responding to the OP's question about a Jet200, not the sidetrack Cento chatter.

Why am I so easily distrac--oh look, a butterfly!
Ey-o, o-ey.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:01 am

For the Jet, get a next over size Asso piston, have the cylinder bored to +.003. If the rings are the correct rings for that piston,you should end up with a ring gap of about .010(pie and all that), which is exactly what you want. I have been using a shop here for many, many rebores if you want to send it down here for a bore job. Makes sure the ports are chamfered. With a clean stock pipe and slightly upjetted carb, a little work cleaning up and matching the gaskets and manifolds and setting the squish, you should be pushing 70mph. As far as 'lectrics for it ,the Serveta flywheel is heavy and I have personally seen the heavy weight snap big end pins. However, saying that there are two midly breathed on Serveta's floating around down here that haven't shat their cranks yet. For electrics on the Jet if what you have is not working, rewire the stator for full a/c and stick a regulator on it . Done job.

On the J ranges, you can just about drop a S1 150 piston in there for a 135 conversion but it leaves the cylinder walls real thin. I did a 135 conversion with a Fantic piston once but the deck height wasn't quite and needed a pile of base gaskets, but man did it fly.
That's not going anywhere

seema

Postby seema » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

dirtyhandslopez wrote:On the J ranges, you can just about drop a S1 150 piston in there for a 135 conversion but it leaves the cylinder walls real thin.

I know someone who has an unused 4th oversize Starstream piston that would put me at 126. I'm thinking that might be a less risky option than going to 135.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

You'll get more bang for you're buck by flowing and matching than you will by adding an extra 1cc. Add a clean pipe in the mix and she will fly, especially when squished and all that other good stuff. I just happpen to know someone that has done that type of work before...

seema

Postby seema » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 pm

I'd be adding an extra 26ccs :D

Hmm, I didn't realize there were pipe options...the other J-range person in Pittsburgh wants me to go in halvsies with him on getting custom pipes made. But I'm guessing that's going to be as expensive as shit.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Got a brand new J range pipe from Casa a few years ago. They are making them(or they are NOS) but the price was not as expensive as a new LI pipe.

seema

Postby seema » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Ahh, you mean a clean *stock* pipe. Yup, already got one of Casa's repros lined up as my Cento came without any exhaust at all.

Return to “Scooter BS”