Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
colin

Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Postby colin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 pm

So yeah, I bought a Jet200. Has a solidly seized piston (shot some penetrating lube in for a day to see if it was just rust-seized or something, no dice). Since I'm new to lammies I didn't know I had to take the engine out (or nearly) just to get the damn head off, so that hasn't happened yet and I don't have all my tools where the scooter is (yet).

So anyway, I want people to tell me about kits, cause there's a ton out there and Google shows some interesting opinions for some of them (like "race-touring kits are wrong on air-cooled bikes, I know this from 35 years lammy tuning!" and shit like that).

Assume money is no object (not because it is, just want objective input is all).

Yeah, I should post to scootrally for larger input, but want to start here so I don't have to fend off too many assholes this first go 'round :)

Heytens, why do you say the RB22 would be punishment?
Skyyywalker

seema

Re: Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Postby seema » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Must I type everything twice?
http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... ucts_id=89
http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... ts_id=1242
http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... cts_id=507
http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... cts_id=932

No, I don't actually know anything about these kits. Only that they exist.

Someone find me a kit for my Cento. I'd rather buy a kit than drop $200 on a new piston and reborzing.

tony

Postby tony » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 pm

RB25. That 22 is small time.

My prediction for Corsa 2012: Me, at home, feet up. Collin -

http://youtu.be/vzytE_mu2Fc
Last edited by tony on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 CORSA BIke! ct90.tumblr.com

colin

Postby colin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

tony wrote:RB26. That 22 is small time.

I'm guessing that big of an up would require a new crank?
Skyyywalker

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 pm

I would give Gene at Scooters O. a call and see what he recommends.......personally, I like stuff stock, since it's more bullet proof and easy to maintain, longer life, yadda yadda yadda.

Personally, I would be a really good used cylinder-piston-crank that someone yanked off their Jet when they upgraded with some kit.

Again, give Gene a call and see what he's got. Personally, I'd go with this if I couldn't find a good used set.

http://www.scootersoriginali.com/osc/pr ... ts_id=1679

Oh, and buy new cylinder studs for the heck of it.

Other than that, I'd really inspect the crank to make sure it didn't get buggered in the seize......or possibly damaged getting that piston unstuck.
John F.

starreem

Postby starreem » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm

No need for that. Just pop out that rubber plug on the rear of the frame, and take off the rear shock, the engine pivots down to access it all.

The best tool you can own is a copy of The Complete Spanners Manual: Lambretta, by Martin "Sticky" Round. Better knows as Sticky's Book. Purchase it from your favorite Lambretta shop. The second edition of the book has a ton of info on current kits, and their pro/cons.

colin wrote:... Since I'm new to lammies I didn't know I had to take the engine out (or nearly) just to get the damn head off, so that hasn't happened yet and I don't have all my tools where the scooter is (yet)...
Starr

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Colin,

Ask Rob Downs in Atlanta about all the crap he had to buy to get his TS1 motor built.. it was like 2k worth of stuff and he shopped like crazy to get it all.. and it still seized on him.

All I know is the kits are not "plug and play" you need to do A LOT of R&D to get them to run reliable at freeway speeds without melting down.

The cylinder is just one part.. once you get that you will then want to change;

gears (to SX200)
flywheel to lighter than stock
exhaust to something like a PM Tuning or JL
ignition to electronic from points
Carb will need to be changed to some big ass side draft
Fuel tank will need to be increased if you want to go more than 40 miles between fill ups.
Fast Flow fuel tap will be needed.
EGT to make sure you don't melt down

I got my TS1 back when I lived in Oakland.. I bought it in boxes with a complete serveta series III for $650. It was a deal I could not refuse.

I had no idea what I had.. but then when I moved east for some reason I won about 300 in gift certificates to scooters O for labor.. so I took all the boxes up there and they built the motor.. and it still cost me about 1200 for labor plus a rear shock and a pipe. So they built it about 9 years ago - they told me they put it in a test scoot and ran it around the parking lot.. but I don't think it was ever really tested. and now it's been sitting in my basement all this time.. I think I may try to fire it up this summer and see how it runs.. if it give me trouble then I will put it on back burner until the shriner and allstate projects are done and save that headache for LAST since it's going to be a big pain in the ass to dial it in right.

wzm

Postby wzm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am

seema wrote:Someone find me a kit for my Cento. I'd rather buy a kit than drop $200 on a new piston and reborzing.

When I had a Cento the way to go was to overbore to 135 with a stock cylinder. I've heard of conversions to kits from full sized Lambrettas with a shorter stroke, but it sounds like it is a lot of machine shop work. Over-boring to 135 and converting to a four speed gearbox out of a Starstream is probably the way to go.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

Hahahaha. You're fucked.

Find someone selling an already kitted Lambretta motor.
byelaya smert

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

FYI,
I have an 1989 liquid cooled kawasaki KX250 motor sitting in my basement... I was going to morph it into a lammy frame at one point in time.. but never got around to it.

It's got six speeds and about 45 horsepower. I have the radiators and all that studd too.

Let me know if anyone wants to take the motor off my hands and try it for themself.

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 pm

wzm wrote:When I had a Cento the way to go was to overbore to 135 with a stock cylinder.

Wait wait wait. How many mm does that correspond to?! 35cc doesn't seem like that much volume over the length of a cylinder, but my gut says that boring out that much additional volume might be dangerous. Otherwise, why wouldn't people overbore their cylinders by 10-50cc all the time?

What size piston did you use afterwards?

Did you do this yourself or have it done somewhere? If you used a shop, mind giving me their info?

wzm

Postby wzm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I never kitted my Cento, or even got the thing running.

Jem Booth is the person to talk to. He's very friendly, and has the biggest stock of small frame Lambretta parts around.

Overboring to 125-135cc is not a big deal, the Cento shared a cylinder with the J125, which came at 125cc to start with. If you can find one of the larger overbore pistons for a J125, that should work, and if not, I think Gene at Scooters O and Jem Booth both know about a Kawasaki piston conversion that will work.

The reason that people don't overbore Centos all the time is that there just are not that many of them, and they've never been a popular Lambretta. You can find some wild Lui/Vegas out there, and some of those people have converted to J100/J125 cases with some kind of overbore or new top end, but there are probably only a handful of kitted J range bikes in the world.

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't know who you are but I love you right now.

I actually prefer the look of the Cento over the Starstream, and, having been told that J-series kits don't exist, made the decision to get the bike with the aesthetic I liked over the bike with a bigger engine. I had resigned myself to having a slow-ass Cento unless a Starstream engine magically fell into my lap. This is all sounding like a big win for me.

Now I just need to find someone who knows about Cadet/Mountaineer engines...

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Also, having never had anything bored before, do I need to look up the cylinder gap tolerances, measure the piston, measure the cylinder, and calculate how many mms I want the shop to bore out? Or can I just hand them a 10th oversize Starstream piston and my cylinder and say "make tab a fit into slot b, plz."?

wzm

Postby wzm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

seema wrote:Also, having never had anything bored before, do I need to look up the cylinder gap tolerances, measure the piston, measure the cylinder, and calculate how many mms I want the shop to bore out? Or can I just hand them a 10th oversize Starstream piston and my cylinder and say "make tab a fit into slot b, plz."?

If you send it to a machine shop, include the piston. Most shops will want to measure the piston themselves in order to get the bore right. I guess you could specify a ring gap, but when I've had machine shops bore cylinders, they've handled that. I have no idea if you'll need to do anything to the head, Jem or Gene can probably answer that.

Return to “Scooter BS”