Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
AirborneVespa

Re: Jet 200 kits, talk to me

Postby AirborneVespa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 pm

make sure your shop is a 2-stroke shop as the tolerances when overboring a 2 stroke cylinder and piston are different than when overboring a 4 stroke piston and cylinder.
byelaya smert

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I would call Al at Hot Rod Scooters and just put the cylinder in a box and mail it to him along with the cylinder head. If you know of a piston to get then tell him about it.. and he'd get the piston and then bore the cylinder and do your ring gap for you so you can just bolt it on and go. You may have to follow up with the cylinder head later since he would need to know how high in the cylinder bore the piston goes before milling the head out.

He's a two stroke guy that's been doing it for years.. he knows about small displacement 2 stroke machine work.. local machine shops may not know how to deal with the tollerances of the smaller pistons and thin rings.

i know he'd be stoked to make a kit for a J-range..

Tell him I sent you.. he'll roll the carpet out for ya.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Oh.. and make sure to CALL Al and talk to him.. he's no good with the email. He will talk your ear off and make your head spin about stuff. Plus he'd be stoked to talk to a chick that knows what she is talking about with motor junk.

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Man, I'm going to have the awesomest Cento ever! SUCK IT, STARSTREAMS!!

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

The next thing to figure out is if the Cento 3rd gear is roughly the same size as the Starstream 4th gear, because if so, it's probably not worth it to muck around with changing the gears.

If not, I gotta figure out if switching to Starstream gears is as simple as buying the 4th gear, tree (or whatever gears attach to on Centos, haven't dug that far into the engine yet), and 4-speed gear selector and slapping it all together.

Maybe I should move this over to LCUSA...

wzm

Postby wzm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 pm

seema wrote:The next thing to figure out is if the Cento 3rd gear is roughly the same size as the Starstream 4th gear, because if so, it's probably not worth it to muck around with changing the gears.

If not, I gotta figure out if switching to Starstream gears is as simple as buying the 4th gear, tree (or whatever gears attach to on Centos, haven't dug that far into the engine yet), and 4-speed gear selector and slapping it all together.

Maybe I should move this over to LCUSA...

The Cento has a slightly lower 3rd, but it isn't much lower. See http://www.scooterhelp.com/scooters/_J1 ... tream.html and http://www.scooterhelp.com/scooters/_Cento.html .

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Yep, was just looking at that. As Colin just said to me, "probably comes out to the same as an extra 15lbs of rider weight on the Starstream."

I guess I could replace my 3rd gear with a Starstream 4th gear but not sure it's worth it to risk effing around with the gears for what's probably a minor gain in top speed.
Last edited by seema on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

for the J scoot
Stick with the stock 3 speed.. if you need a taller 3rd then just play with the tire size.

But you know.. you have royally hijacked colin's thread here.

seema

Postby seema » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Oh whatever, eff that dude.

colin

Postby colin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm

seema wrote:Oh whatever, eff that dude.

yeah, say that when you need help with getting another smallframe put together and running. :lol:
Skyyywalker

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Back on topic......

If you get the piston free, you might be able to just rebore the existing cylinder to the next oversize......costs about $50 via Scooters O.........buy the next matching oversize piston and you're done.
John F.

colin

Postby colin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:16 pm

imjuanpablo wrote:

Back on topic......

If you get the piston free, you might be able to just rebore the existing cylinder to the next oversize......costs about $50 via Scooters O.........buy the next matching oversize piston and you're done.

Whole new stock cylinder is $100. After shipping the old one and buying a new piston.... have I saved any money? We'll see once I get the thing out/unstuck, until then, still looking for input/ideas/experiences with the available kits and what carbs/pipes/flywheels/etc must/should go with...

And I'll call Gene when I get more info on what my situation is...
Skyyywalker

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 pm

GP crank
GP electronic ignition
GP cylinder and piston

could work. maybe. You'll need the first two no matter what, you just have to choose the cylinder/piston combo.

-Hurley

Tedford

Postby Tedford » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:38 am

hurleybt wrote:GP crank
GP electronic ignition
GP cylinder and piston

could work. maybe. You'll need the first two no matter what, you just have to choose the cylinder/piston combo.

-Hurley

Will those even fit into a J-range Lammy? I honestly have no idea, but it seems similar to putting P200 parts onto a 100 Sport.
Ey-o, o-ey.

starreem

Postby starreem » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 am

I'm guessing Hurley was responding to the OP's question about a Jet200, not the sidetrack Cento chatter.
Starr

Return to “Scooter BS”