X-mas list ideas? Riding Boots?

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
Mikeh

X-mas list ideas? Riding Boots?

Postby Mikeh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Help,
My family has asked me for an x-mas list. I need to come up with some crap they can get me.

One of the things I am thinking of is riding boots. I know a few people that have had ancle/foot injuries, and well.. i'd like to have better protection than my hiking boots which is what I currently use.

But I don't want to look like a dork with some squid shoes, and i want to be comfortable.

So does anyone have suggestions on what to ask for (brand and stuff)

Also I am thinking of asking for some of those armored jeans.

What brands/products are you all using? I know bobo has these.. anyone else?

I need to be specific with my folks, because if i am not then i will get discount outlet crap from a harley shop.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Happy holidays

MikeH

hurleybt

Re: X-mas list ideas? Riding Boots?

Postby hurleybt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Go to local shops and try boots on to get exact model numbers and sizes? Since the fit needs to be perfect you really need to try on ahead of time.

Cash, have them send you lots of cash. In $1s.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

good point on going to places to try them on.. but before i do this I need to know what brand's/styles the cool kids are wearing these days so I can find a place that sells them.

Any tips?

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Go to Bobs. Most shops have a few boots on display. Bobs has a good selection as well as staff that know you can get x-model in a wide or narrow or whatever. Beth bought some Sidi's from them, not knowing what she wanted in a boot, and loved what they recommended after talking through her intended riding/use.

(Me, I stick to some pretty heavy duty hiking boots.)
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

dale

Postby dale » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 am

I couldn't find any riding boots that were comfortable. The patch they have for the shift lever just didn't agree with my foot. I ended up with waterproof boots from redwing. Very happy with them and since they can be resoled I'm good til I die.

Dale

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 am

Icon has their 1000 line. Sort of reminds me of old Alpinestars stuff. Motorcyclegear.com has good deals on boots and otherwise.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

starreem

Postby starreem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 am

Draggin' Jeans are the kevlar padded jeans that actually are not too bad. I stopped in by their factory (in Hickory, NC) and picked up some "seconds", at about 1/2 price. never really figured out what was wrong with them. The sizing on carpenter style seemed true to fit. ( I only buy men's style, so I know the correct size) I think they also have a generous return policy if fit is a problem.

If you want true riding boots, I think the squid look is about all there is. I did find a good pair of Sidi on sale online, mostly all black so not too squidish. (motorcycle superstore? or Bandit? I don't remember) I think I got a size smaller than I usually wear.

I was rocking all that jazz on the last few CORSAs.
Starr

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

By " what are the cool kids wearing", I meant what are Starr, Bobo, and Colin sporting.

Thanks for the tips Starr

shane

Postby shane » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Mike,

If you are looking for a more traditional boot, I'd check out the Red Wing stuff. I'm not sure if there is a shop close to you, but I know there is one off RT. 1 in Laurel that wouldn't be too much of a pain to get to.

There are a few other boot companies ( Carolina might be one?) that do some higher quality riding boots that don't make you look like you are taking a ride with the Power Rangers.
Sloth love Chunk!

SaltyDog

Postby SaltyDog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

There is another company that makes kevlar lined jeans. Diamond Gusset Jeans sells a Defender model that is available in larger sizes, which is what I have.

http://www.gussetjeans.com/defender_inside_out/
Cushman Highlander Deluxe Model 715 (back in the day)
2005 CPI Oliver City 50cc (AKA "The Silver Bullet")
1987 Honda Elite 250 (AKA "Tiny Red")
2007 Piaggio MP3-250 (AKA "The Thing")

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm

The Defender motorcycle jeans are $20 off this week too.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

That Red Wing store does carry the motorcycle line, and is staffed by old guys who seem like they have sold boots for decades (i.e., they also know their product line and how people's feet are different).
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

12CI

Postby 12CI » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:00 am

stuff yer "squid" boots. you don't have to ride around in clown shoes (not that theres anything wrong with that...).

'stich CTB's:

i was planning on a pair of the "lite"s but found a terriffic deal on the originals. comfortable enough to wear all day at work, and no "shift pad", so they don't look too out of place in a casual business environment (well, at least from the front; the reflectors on the back are a little showy).

there are a bunch of "street/tour" market boots that you should look at. i second visiting Bob's, or Battley's.
as shameless as I am tactless and guileless

randomtone

Postby randomtone » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Since I think all the riders in "on any Sunday" are the coolest fuckers ever, I bought these boots. They are styled to look like the vintage motocross boots like but with more modern safty features. I wear them to work and change into other shoes when I get there. They are stiff protective and not confortable for not riding. I think they are cool, Josh Bunn told me I look like Edward Scissorhands.
http://icon1000.com/collection/icon-1000-elsinore-boot-2/

Susan

Postby Susan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 am

Are we talking about boots?

I'm kind of in love with Gasolina. Although no new riding boots until I have wheels that run.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

Return to “Scooter BS”