The kids are alright!

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
Ramsay

The kids are alright!

Postby Ramsay » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 am

Hey!

Before you give me shit about never posting on WMASA much until I ask for money, just know I'm doing it for the kids!
Some of you know I started a Scooter Club at Friends School of Baltimore to teach the kids about engines and such. The independent school lacks the $$$ and space to have a "proper" auto shop class so I purposed a scooter club to start something along those lines.
We are currently working on a 62 Cushman VBB that Shane donated (Tom K used to own it) and we've already rebuilt the engine and fork. BUT are now waiting to get the body painted next week.
Long story made short, we NOW have a good painter and should get this scooter restored by the end of the school year. We will suction off the scooter with half going to a local charity and half to the club for parts.
We have TWO small frames lined us for next year already but this VBB is the kids first scooter and they want it to be "awesome" they say.
So, we've reached out goal of fund raising for the new paint job, $250 raised $250 MATCHED buy the school= $500 paint job. We still need a VBB 150cc flywheel !!!!!!!!!!!!! and
We are taking donations at PAYPAL--- ramsaybarnes@gmail.com jon-ramsay barnes

porter

Re: The kids are alright!

Postby porter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 am

I'd like to add that the frame for this vbb is stunningly straight, best I have seen. It will be mighty nice if it were to receive a slick pro paint job.

The kids are into it, that's for sure. And, the way I think of it is that this is just the initial hurdle that the program needs to get over. Once this scooter is completed and sold, the cycle has been started, the funds created cover the following project, and so on.

The class offers alot more than just shop tech. Ramsay's approach includes the history and importance of mobility, what it means to have transportation, and how and why these scooters made their mark in an historical context.

I certainly wish I had a class like this when I was a teen, I would have loved to have had an introduction to mechanical, electrical, and assembly of stuff like this.

Ramsay has figured out a way to incorporate all of this into a good thing for the kids. Kudos to him for that.

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 pm

To clarify: does the use of the word "donation" mean this is tax deductible? Or is this more in the nature of a gift?

(Not saying that I won't be happy to throw some money in either case, just unclear.)
mille posti

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 pm

These goddamn kids today with their fancy "scooter classes". I hope he tells them to forget all about scooters after the class and avoid a lifetime of being poverty stricken social outcasts. Scooters will do that to you. True story.
I break scooter parts

Ramsay

Postby Ramsay » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

"donations"--If someone really wants the tax write off for a donation/gift I can make that happen. People who have donated whole scooters, tools and large part orders have one coming their way before the Fiscal Clif! If you want one I can write one up. :D

shane

Postby shane » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 am

Glad you hit the funding goal. Can't wait to see it!
Sloth love Chunk!

D-day

Postby D-day » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:22 am

Let us know when you "will suction off the scooter"...sounds like it could be entertaining.

Learn to fix your own scooter, you dork.

Alex T.
Soul Survivors SC

shane

Postby shane » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 am

I noticed that, but I just didn't have anything clever to add at the time. Good catch!
Sloth love Chunk!

Return to “Scooter BS”