race gas in B-more

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
porter

race gas in B-more

Postby porter » Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 am

I have been searching for ethanol free gas, without much luck. If you look on the web published maps of known places to get it, the whole state of Maryland is a blank spot, with just a few dots over near delaware and other state borders.
But, today, I found a possibility, I got a link to a local sunoco that supposedly sells race gas, which could be 100 octane without additives. The address is 8000 Loch Raven Boulevard, Towson, MD, which is just south of everyone's favorite electronics store, Bainesville.
I just looked on google's street view, and I see a sign below the price tower that says race gas.
I hitting up both locations today, and I'll report back.

My search is based upon my needs to store gas for slightly longer periods. I have weed wackers, lawn movers, chainsaw, and other small motors that I'd like to feed, so I keep gas in my garage, which leads to separation and junk in short time. Maybe I'll add stabil, maybe I'll get more punch out of the higher energy potent fuel, I dunno, so Im going to check it out.

Zeets

Re: race gas in B-more

Postby Zeets » Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 am

Race gas shouldn't go bad as fast as regular gas does, due to its high purity.

You can usually buy it from VP and other companies in five gal containers and it stays for years. The biggest problem with race gas is that you should change your timing to run it. Engines on standard time really can't take advantage of the extra octane and slower burn you get. You really need to advance your timing to take advantage of it. Also, it tends to burn slightly hotter, and with your stock timing, it'll end up burning longer and hotter and increase your chance of a sieze. Also, some 2T oils don't mix well with it. Guys running race gas in their dirtbikes used to use 100LL (low lead) with Blendzall which is castor based. Also, it'll clean your top end for you really well, your bike will probably smoke like a champ the first few rides, but it'll de-coke your engine beautifully.

It does smell great though. I remember being in the pits at Meadowlarks as a kid and all the bikes running on Avgas or VP and Blendzall...
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

JV

Postby JV » Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Try this:

http://pure-gas.org/

fried okra

porter

Postby porter » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 am

I got a small supply of race gas.
My lawnmower likes it, it ran a little hotter.
My weedwacker really liked it, it was ripping along at high revs, and no longer was rich at the bottom end.
I haven't put it in my scooter, yet.

It is not cheap.

JV

Postby JV » Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 pm

9.29 a gallon???

Not bad for ethanol free high octane gas!!!!

Thanks to EPA.

Maybe I'll drive up from the commonwealth of vaginya and get some!!!!!

fried okra

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:24 am

http://www.trufuel50.com

Saw this, this morning.
Last edited by Zeets on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zayretow

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:42 am

JV wrote:
Maybe I'll drive up from the commonwealth of vaginya and get some

No need to do that, there's a pump or two full of it here in Richmond :wink:
That's not going anywhere

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 am

So there's this trufuel stuff, it's 93 Octane, ethanol free and pre-mixed using synthetic 2T oil. The problem is it's $5.96/qt. or $35 for a 6-pk quarts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trufuel-50-1-Pre-Oil-Mix-6525638/202532877

They claim that it's got a five year shelf life un-opened and a two year life after opened.

Seems like it's more expensive than race gas, although it has the added convience of being premixed in 2%.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-small-engine

VP sells a similar, pre-mixed, quart containers of fuel, but they want $63 for eight quarts.

VP also sells gas in 5, 15, 30 and 54 gallon quantites, but the least expensive gas they sell is still ~$10 a gallon.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/racing-fuel

Also, the Glenn Dale Crown Gas station/mini mart sell Sunoco race gas for $8.99/gal.
Zayretow

Return to “Scooter BS”