Hey Adam

Primarily for vintage scooters and scooterists, but all are welcome
Mikeh

Hey Adam

Postby Mikeh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:42 pm

How's the non-facebook lifestyle working out for you?

Great movie of your bicycle trip by the way.

Zeets

Re: Hey Adam

Postby Zeets » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 pm

I haven't really missed it much... Cat keeps me upto date when needed.

Did Trevor post a movie? I haven't seen it.

I'm glad to see there's a little resurgence here, lately. Plus I've been lurking on a few other forums.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:31 am

Yeah, I checked his youtube page the other night. He edited it, and made it slightly longer. The first time I saw it, it was only 20min, now, it's 22min.

There's a scooterist from Cleveland who is taking a Boyscout troop on the entire trip this summer. He was asking questions about the ride, so I sent him our ride notes, and linked him to Toigo's write up, plus sent him links to both Toigo's and Trevor's videos. He said he was going to show the videos to his troops, I hope they're ok with beer and whiskey consumption.
Zayretow

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 am

Send me an email if you ever want to do a bicycle day trip on a weekend..

I am currently trying to train for a century.

Also let me know if you have any leads on a 52 or 54cm road bike. I was trying out a smaller one.. but it's WAY too small.. gotta get a better fit. In the mean time I will stick with my mtn bike.

Sorry to hijack a scooter site with bicycle speak.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 am

Are you looking for used or new? Price range? There are always a ton of bikes in that size range on CL... especially the DC one.

Have you tried Christian too? He seems to always have a few road bikes kicking around, and his prices are reasonable. Plus, he can probably fit you since unlike mountain bikes, road bikes tend to take more adjustments to fit you perfectly. I've had to change, seat, seatpost, stem and handlebars multiple times on my roadie just to get it to fit right. If I were you, I'd be looking for something made of good quality chromoly (Tange, Coloumbus, Renyolds, Ishawata) made between the late 80s to present. At least shimano 100/105, or higher end Campy stuff, but if you're willing to spend a little more, I'd try to find an Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace bike, since that old stuff really held up well. (My road bike has mid-90's Shimano 100 and 600[ultegra] components, 2x7 drivetrain with downtube shifters, and is ultra reliable, in four years I've only changed the cogset and chain with around 5000 miles of riding, and unknown mileage before I got it)

Also, if you're willing to spend a little and build something out, Soma builds a great frames that are designed around slighlty shorter riders, using 26" wheels instead of 700c to help you avoid toe strikes on the front tire. As does Salsa.

http://www.somafab.com

http://www.salsacycles.com
Zayretow

Return to “Scooter BS”