motorcycle graveyard story

For DC-area motorcats and rockers
sadsack

motorcycle graveyard story

Postby sadsack » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:21 am

Matt Smith posted this on FB and i found it a really interesting story, or at least i gotta say it captured my imagination. and it made me remember fondly the place where both my smallframes came from,
a property in VA where the owner had a series of outbuildings just stuffed to the walls with assorted decaying bikes. picking through piles of crap looking for treasure to rescue is a totally unique and magical feeling!

also the author is from NOVA, anyone know him?

http://dcclassiccycles.dynamitedave.com/graveyard.html

dirtyhandslopez

Re: motorcycle graveyard story

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Great story.

You would be surpised what you can find if you go out looking and listening.

About 94-94, I got whispers of an abondoned motorcyle shop west of Richmond and someone had said they though they had seen a scooter in it. Off we went, Laurie, my 'Ol Lady of the time and myself. Found it easily enough and it was well abandoned, roof collapsing, walls falling down. Had a poke about, and lo- I did indeed find a TV175, in terrible condition, but a TV nevertheless. Also found a whole bunch of Vespa sales literature and a few Lammy fliers. There was crashelmets, paperwork strewn everywhere, a right mess. I don't think I have ever loaded a Lammy into the back of a car so quickly in my life, put foot to the floor and we where gone....
Theres a man here in Richmond who has a whole warehouse full of bikes and a few scoots, won't get off of them. Praps' when he dies :)
That's not going anywhere

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:00 am

Yeah, was that awesome or what? I drive through Lockport NY often and am curious how many times I drove past that very place. Love stories like that. Good to know such finds can still be had.

If anyone hears of a scooter honeyhole or graveyard like that anywere between Maine & NC, and wants some recon done... give me a shout. I travel the eastern U.S. 150+days a year for work and would be happpy to check it out for you.... keeping it all on the DL of course :wink: .
I break scooter parts

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Yes, I recall when I lived in Richmond back in the mid 90's ACE Cycles on Jeff Davis Highway on the southside(just accross the street from JD's Chicken and Waffles) that if the booger eater behind the counter was in a good mood and if you asked politely then he'd let you pick through the side yard which was full of old honda, yamaha, and kawasaki choppers with custom frames from the 60's. it was pretty cool.

I had a CB 350 with a custom metalic green rigid frame and forks. I never did get the ignition system to work right on it (it was before I was experienced with vespa's so i had no clue). Anyways I had fun picking ignition parts from bikes in his side yard. If I had known then ho cool I would think those choppers were now I would have bought all of them from the nose picker/eater. He must have had about 30 of them back there.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I have had more than a few soots inspected at Ace's. He did some awesome machine work there also. He was an honory man sometimes, but he loved the stories about making Lammys go fast. He also used to do a lot of stretched framed dragster bike for the ganster brothers around town, funnily enough. Sadly, Ace's is no longer there.
That's not going anywhere

Return to “Motorcycle BS”