For DC-area motorcats and rockers
Serendipity

thoughts on the new Moto Guzzi V7?

Postby Serendipity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm

~Jennifer

adrienna

Re: thoughts on the new Moto Guzzi V7?

Postby adrienna » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:16 pm

I love them. I seriously considered buying one last summer after I wrecked my Triumph, but I ended up buying back the Triumph. Physically, the V7 fits me perfectly, but several people were concerned that I would find it too slow.

But I think they're beautiful, and it's amazing how closely they resemble their predecessors. They're still on my list. I'm partial to the 2009 Classic in white with the seat from the Cafe (might change the bars too, although the Classic's bars would make for a more pleasant around-town riding experience).

At Vintage Motorcycle Days, I saw one all set up touring style - well, with panniers and luggage. Clearly someone had traveled a decent distance to get there. I wonder how comfortable they are to ride at high speeds for long distances - do you constantly feel like you need another gear?

But look how good the V7 Racer looks!

wzm

Postby wzm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm

It's a very pretty bike, and they are a nice size for a small rider, but 9k will buy you a gorgeous early Guzzi that will hold it's value a lot better, and make a lot more power. $9,000 is getting into real V7 Sport territory, and the original bike made 70hp out of 750cc, as opposed to the 45hp out of 750cc that the new V7 Classic does.

Newer Guzzi's with a nice style are available much cheaper too. I've heard of low mileage V11s selling for under $3,000 locally, and vintage Tonti framed bikes are normally $2.5-3.5k (as long as they are not V7 Sports). A clean original Eldorado just sold for $3500 on Advrider.

I don't know of any decent local dealers either. Speeds Cycles is pretty terrible, and it's a long way to Fast By Ferracci's from DC. If there were more dealers, you could count on the price being much lower come December / January, but with so few to choose from, the prices will stay pretty steady. This is compared to something like a Triumph Bonneville, where you can find new bikes for ~$6500 in the winter because there is so much competition.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

wzm wrote:It's a very pretty bike, and they are a nice size for a small rider, but 9k will buy you a gorgeous early Guzzi that will hold it's value a lot better, and make a lot more power. $9,000 is getting into real V7 Sport territory, and the original bike made 70hp out of 750cc, as opposed to the 45hp out of 750cc that the new V7 Classic does..

Thanks for the input both of you-

Money - a new V7 is definitely too pricey for me, but I wanted to see what folks thought of the bike. I do like the bonnevilles as well. I'm not ready to buy, as I like to look around for ages, ask a lot of questions, and then finally pull the trigger...it may take years or it could happen, as you say, in the winter. I will look at advrider.

Power - Is the lower hp because the newer bikes are more fuel efficient? 750cc sounds like a heck of a lot to me, as I would be entry level, though not entry level enough to stall and dump it.

Vintage motorcycles - I guess my only concerns with the older guzzi's are brakes and reliability. (my experience with pre 1970's vintage scooters) I don't want to feel like I'm playing russian roulette at faster speeds.
~Jennifer

colin

Postby colin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Looks like an old CB with a sideways V in it :P
Skyyywalker

12CI

Postby 12CI » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Serendipity wrote: not entry level enough to stall and dump it.

no such thing. trust me...anyone can stall & dump a bike....anyone..

Serendipity wrote: Power - Is the lower hp because the newer bikes are more fuel efficient?

more like strangled by emissions control devices

Serendipity wrote: Vintage motorcycles - I guess my only concerns with the older guzzi's are brakes and reliability. (my experience with pre 1970's vintage scooters) I don't want to feel like I'm playing russian roulette at faster speeds.

where's juanpablo ? paging juanpablo... juanpablo to the white courtesy phone...
as shameless as I am tactless and guileless

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:16 pm

12CI wrote:
Serendipity wrote: not entry level enough to stall and dump it.

no such thing. trust me...anyone can stall & dump a bike....anyone..

I know!! I chuckled after I wrote that because HOW many times have I dropped a scooter? LOTS. But mostly because I was trying to bump start them, crashed, or stood them on unstable surfaces. That said, except for my Lambretta, my scooters have come pre-wrecked. I have never dropped my lambretta out of carelessness.
~Jennifer

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:20 pm

imjuanpablo wrote:Sold the Guzzi, for a bunch of reasons......while i liked the Guzzi, I didn't love it.... put (too) much money into it......I was never really confident/satisfied of its reliability....giant tubed tires were just scary in my mind all the time...plus the brakes sucked......giant drum brakes do NOT stop a heavy-ass bike well. Ran very hot (air cooled, so no real surprise, but still) and the oil pressure light would come on in stop-and-go traffic.....oil would get thin and lose viscosity......just bothered the hell out of me.

I wanted something new and reliable, basically........was not impressed with all the new Japanese and other brands.....said to myself: "Self, what the hell, go look at HDs." Really liked the look of the 48 Sportster, test rode it, felt great.....they gave me a great end-of-the-year sale price, plus a $600 gift card on anything in the store. And no, I'm not buying any chrome pieces....ugh.

AH, there he is! Thanks 12CI.... I agree with the first part, and not sure about buying a sportster for me.
~Jennifer

adrienna

Postby adrienna » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:44 pm

A benefit to a modern Bonneville is the HUGE after-market - you can customize the hell out of one. My Speed Four is kind of a pain because it's an orphan - not many options for things like exhausts, bars, racks, etc. My next bike will likely be a somewhat tricked-out Bonneville or Thruxton (which is, of course, essentially a Bonneville).

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm

meh, I had nothing really to say here.........I personally wouldn't purchase a new Guzzi
John F.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm

imjuanpablo wrote:

meh, I had nothing really to say here.........I personally wouldn't purchase a new Guzzi

duly noted. I didn't ask for *good* thoughts, just thoughts.
~Jennifer

Mark B 2

Postby Mark B 2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I'll add that I saw a couple in a London motorcycle shop a couple of weeks ago, and they are very cool. It reminded of a Buell in size, a little shorter and lighter than my Bonneville.

I'm sure that if you shop around you can find them new or slightly used for a bit less than the retail price. There are lots of new Triumphs sitting on showroom floors with price discounts right now. My only question or concern is where you could take it around here if you need warranty work done. I take my bike to Clinton Cycles in Camp Springs, which is a hike, but I can get home via a bus and Metro.

In anycase if reliability is the issue, I would strongly recommend going for one of the newer retro styled bikes made in the past 10 years over a vintage 60's or 70s bike. My '75 Honda CB550 was in great condition and was much LESS reliable than most of the old scooters I've owned. That's why it's gone and I have the Bonneville, which has become my daily rider, and have had zero problems in 2 years.
Mark B

"Dim sum made upon order is the best dim sum!"

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Beautiful bikes, but .....

Supply chain would worry me. Guzzi belonged to Aprilia prior to Piaggio's acquisition of both companies and they are sort of treated like step children when it comes to parts supply. Take for instance, my rear tire. 130/80x15 is an odd duck size with almost no availability from U.S. tire wholesalers, so you kind of need to order OEM. Aprilia's biggest U.S. dealer, AF1, almost always is waiting on these tires to come in from Italy. Most parts on the bike fall into the same boat... backorder. People wait months, sometimes even a year, for OEM factory accessories to come in. Being that modern Guzzi's are low production bikes, I can only imagine that the situation is similar for U.S. owners.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Mark B 2

Postby Mark B 2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:47 pm

normratscoots wrote:Beautiful bikes, but .....

Supply chain would worry me. Guzzi belonged to Aprilia prior to Piaggio's acquisition of both companies and they are sort of treated like step children when it comes to parts supply. Take for instance, my rear tire. 130/80x15 is an odd duck size with almost no availability from U.S. tire wholesalers, so you kind of need to order OEM. Aprilia's biggest U.S. dealer, AF1, almost always is waiting on these tires to come in from Italy. Most parts on the bike fall into the same boat... backorder. People wait months, sometimes even a year, for OEM factory accessories to come in. Being that modern Guzzi's are low production bikes, I can only imagine that the situation is similar for U.S. owners.

(And in contrast, Bonneville OEM parts are very easy to get and there are loads of dealers around the country that sell them discounted. And as Adrienna mentioned, there are lots of aftermarket parts and toys available, too.)
Mark B

"Dim sum made upon order is the best dim sum!"

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 am

Moto Guzzi: On the brink of bankruptcy since 1921.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Return to “Motorcycle BS”