Cleveland Cyclewerks

For DC-area motorcats and rockers
robsterling

Cleveland Cyclewerks

Postby robsterling » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I found this company's site linked from an article I found while reading up on the Universal Japanese Motorcycle concept. They build small-displacement traditional bad-ass motorcycles and I love what they do: http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/

Anybody seen one of these gracile beasts in the wild?

hurleybt

Re: Cleveland Cyclewerks

Postby hurleybt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:48 pm

So they are the Kymco of motorcycles?

Chinese engines in motorcycles built in China. Designed in Cleveland. Like Apple, but different.

But they look nice.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

I like the Misfit. 3200 seems like not a bad deal for a brand new bike. Aaron and Adriana were over there checking them out. I wonder if they are any good.
~Jennifer

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Nice looking, but assembled in Commie China. No thanks.
byelaya smert

adrienna

Postby adrienna » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Here's an article from Cycle World about Cleveland Cyclewerks. The Misfit has a Lifan motor, which I know a lot of people use in their old Honda Passport/Cubs to make them better runners. I'm not really concerned about the Lifan engines. The other components, I don't know.

The article says, "Unfortunately, we didn’t get the bike in time to put many miles on it, so we can’t say this Chinese bike is different than the other Chinese bikes we’ve ridden. But it sort of feels like it is." That about sums it up. I guess we'll see.

I liked the Misfit well enough, but it's just so small. Phil and crew have been riding the heck out of it (here's a very short video). Aaron looked ridiculous on it (of course), and it seems like anyone bigger than me (5'4") would be really cramped. It's so light, though - probably lighter than the Stella (and definitely feels lighter than the Stella because of the seat height). I would also remove the centerstand - why have the added weight?

Here's another video from another distributor.

I guess the price is fair - out the door for less than $3800 for a new bike - but I don't really see why you wouldn't just get an old CB and cafe it out. Or buy that 250cc standard Suzuki (MSRP around $4k) and cafe it out - I'd feel more confident with it. I wouldn't want to be the first person to buy one, but at least I have Aaron to fix it for me.

adrienna

Postby adrienna » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Sorry for the off-topic, but there's also the Royal Enfield cafe that I just saw on Facebook (not sure if this is new or just a Bullet with the cafe kit). (And I hope that link works.) I'd probably feel more confident with a Royal Enfield over CCW, although I've never ridden either. Aaron rode an Enfield once. He said it was slow, but he thinks everything's slow. It was also vibrate-y.

(Are cafes played out?)

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:53 pm

That looks pretty custom, the shocks being the giveaway to me. I imagine R.E. sells an upgraded shock set, but not those.

It looks like this market -- light displacement non-Japanese Asian motorcycles -- is heating up with Johnny Pag, ATK, these guys, plus Kymco's sport bike and Sym's standard (the wolf or something). It will be interesting to see if ATK ever puts their street-legal imports into production stateside.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Return to “Motorcycle BS”