the G.I.'s (for any of you jackasses who care)

Share and discuss bands, songs, shows, playlists, and dance moves
Susan

the G.I.'s (for any of you jackasses who care)

Postby Susan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Government Issue is playing a benefit show December 11 at the Cat. It's the John/Tom/Pete/J. lineup too.

I'm going to pick up a ticket, anyone wants to join me, holler.

Nostalgia is usually shit but I just can't say no. They were the first local band I ever went to see (at a Hung Jury matinee, thanks very much). Changed my everlovin' life. How silly is that?

Oh, and You still holds up fairly well. Who would have thunk it?
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

RichA

Re: the G.I.'s (for any of you jackasses who care)

Postby RichA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 pm

December 11? Let's hope it's not a benefit concert for anything really urgent...

sadsack

Postby sadsack » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm

i just spotted this on the black cat calendar and realized what the benefit is. it's a benefit to help pay for DJ Stereofaith's brain surgery. he's recovering well from what i see on his FB page but he has some hefty bills to take care of now!

over 500 tickets have already been sold for this, capacity is 700something, so if you have to go to this get your tix NOW!

Susan

Postby Susan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 am

The flyer totally made me do a double-take. I thought it was...er...vintage.

Which makes me think I should get out my old show flyers and wallpaper the basement with them or something. hmmm.

it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

OH HELL YEAH! Just got my tix. If only they were playing a double bill with Marginal Man... that would be the perfect show! A few years ago Dr. Strange Records put out a 2 disc cd containing every GI song ever released, including a bunch of live versions, if anyone wanted to do some one stop shopping.

Not much into the nostalgia trip either... but these guys are seminal in the chain of dc punk/hardcore evolution and this show is going to rock. The last time I saw them in 1988 there was a police action/riot complete with helicopters and attack dogs, and John Stabb got billyclubed in the head while singing 'Sheer Terror' with his pants down, and the mic cord wrapped around his body. Luckily he had some GI boxer shorts on!

Ahh... the good old days!
I break scooter parts

Susan

Postby Susan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:54 pm

OK, bump.

Fredneck.
Anyone else?
Sharon, are you working?

I'm secretly hoping it's going to be one of those shows where the demographics of the crowd make me feel not-so-old.

You know, for years I was "that girl with the cookies" - not code for anything: I really did bake cookies weekly and pass them out at the old 9:30 club happy hour on Fridays. Trying to perfect the recipe. I was really quiet and shy and didn't talk all that much so few people knew my name, but years later people were still confronting me with "you were the one with the cookies". It would be ridiculous of me to bring cookies, right?

ETA: Kenny & Mike from Marginal Man will be joining opening band Set To Explode for a few MM songs.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

colin

Postby colin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Carl (our neighbor) will be there.
Skyyywalker

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:18 pm

I didn't buy tickets since I didn't know if I'd be in town. Now its sold out.
~Jennifer

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:16 pm

How were the Goons? Remember seeing them in VFW and fire hall shows in the mid 90s.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

sadsack

Postby sadsack » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:33 pm

today i feel like i was run over repeatedly by a steamroller. and all i did was stand at the door, i wasn't even on pit duty! it was a really nice crowd of punk rock geezers last nite tho ;)

susan, i didn't get any cookies!!!

"fred" nice to meet you, heh.

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:30 pm

nice meeting you and Susan also... and I got cookies and punk rock. Sweet. :)
I break scooter parts

Susan

Postby Susan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:30 am

sadsack wrote:susan, i didn't get any cookies!!!

I realized that after I got to my car - I left, umm, in sort of a flurry. See, you should have squirreled one away at the beginning of the night! Are you coming to NOS Tuesday, I can make up for it then. Glad to hear that the geezers were nice enough though.

Andy, pleasure to meet you.

Great show, really. I think they might have played their entire catalog (2 hours divided by about two minutes per song)? OK, I'm exaggerating, but they didn't miss much. Good times, good times.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

sadsack

Postby sadsack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:03 am

up at the front desk, we were dead sure they had played their entire catalog and then started over again. and i thought i heard "these boots were made for walkin"??? c'mon now!

well you guys sure got your $$$ worth!

Susan

Postby Susan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am

sadsack wrote:well you guys sure got your $$$ worth!

You know, seeing as it was a benefit and all, I was surprised tix were only $15. I have no doubt they could have sold the place out at $20, if not at $30.

I'm bummed I missed the encore. I left during the last song of the regular set. In an attempt to be able to see something, I wore my big-girl tall-heeled boots. But by the end of the show I could barely stand, much less walk.

Oh, almost forgot - Ryan, I hung around for about three songs of the Goons set, just because, but then went downstairs to catch up with friends. To be honest, they weren't on my radar ever, so I didn't know what if anything I was missing.

Set To Explode did a nice job though. Threw in a little Marginal Man and I think I recognized a Black Market Baby song in there.

I think the bonus of the night was that the crowd skewed quite a bit older than me. Which, at the Black Cat, is a nice thing for a change.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

Return to “Music”