Corsette be for the Ladies

Be a Girl. Run a Smallframe.

Moderator: Andi

seema

Corsette be for the Ladies

Postby seema » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Can't wait! The only question is Primavera, Cento, or Ducati...

I don't mean to stir the gender pot, but what exactly is the goal of limiting the race to female riders? I remember hearing concern about dudes kitting out monster bikes and dominating the race. Is the concern about dudes, monster bikes, or the intersection of both? If I were to ride one of Dan Scott's monster Vespas, would I be breaking the spirit of the rule? Maybe the intentions of this rule would be clearer if it were reworded to say:

1) Only bikes that have been rebuilt by a woman, or
2) Stock bikes, or kitted bikes that have been rebuilt by a woman

In which case, would it be ok for a male rider to participate as long as the bike he was on met the conditions above? Or do we think that dudes have an unfair advantage in endurance riding? (They might have to pee less often, but I think women have a definite weight advantage.)

Andi

Re: ANNOUNCING: Corsette 2011

Postby Andi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 pm

This was intended to be a female only race from the beginning. It's essentially an event to promote women in riding (and have a fun girls weekend!), not to see which guy can build the most super tricked out monster smallframe. It's not in the spirit of the event. As creator, and this year co-coordinator, it's a determination that I've made. There was a humorous aspect to adding the guys in dresses clause for the first year, but in the end there were no guys that ended up doing it. So I decided last summer just to keep it only girls.

Any woman, any vintage smallframe, no rules about who built it, how it's built etc. Ride whatcha want, girl :)
The wheels are in motion

seema

Postby seema » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 pm

But if women are hiring guys to fix up their bikes (as happened last year), or riding kitted bikes that were rebuilt by dudes, how is it not about which guy can build the most super tricked out monster smallframe?

I don't want to be a dick so I'll drop the subject now, but I will say if the Corsa went men-only, I'd probably get riled up. Good thing they haven't, and that I don't have a peen so I can play in the Corsette!

My pride is encouraging me to ride a bike I rebuilt myself, but my competitiveness wants me to play jockey to one of Dan's bikes. What to do, what to do...

Andi

Postby Andi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 pm

It's about the event, and women riding, it's not entirely about wrenching, although that is *certainly encouraged,* I think we know that we all have varying levels of skill there. As we also may have learned from Corsa and Corsette, having the "fastest" bike may or may not win it for you. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and really don't want to make excessive rules/split hairs in regards to engine, parts, etc., e.g., what would be acceptable and what wouldn't. Fuck it. It's simple: Be a Girl. Run a Smallframe.

Be happy to discuss anything else along these lines offlist, if you like.
The wheels are in motion

Return to “Corsette”