air-leak?

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
white noise

air-leak?

Postby white noise » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:59 am

My scooter (P125X) has developed a couple of painful issues. It used to have starting problems, so I checked the spark plug (greasy-black), exchanged it and played around with the fuel-air mix. It started first kick and ran better than ever for some time. A couple of days later it started failing on me again. Worse: when I finally took off it made a terrible, ultra-loud sound. It still does. It is horrifying.

I have been told it might be an air-leak in the exhaust. I checked and from what I can tell there is indeed air coming out from the exhaust as well as some smoke from the engine side. Before I order a new exhaust, tearing my scooter apart and mess everything up I would like to make sure that it really is an air leak and not something else. I am about to learn how to fix my scooter and don't know yet much about it.

Does anyone have a couple of minutes to come around and confirm the fault diagnosis? This would be very helpful.
Last edited by white noise on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Sounds like more than an air leak to me. It could be alot of things, like a seize, a bearing issue, a blown piston or a blown seal. Have you pulled the plug recently? What does it look like?

Is the engine still free?

I can pass by and take a look - I need to head over from Chinatown to Adams Morgan after work, but you'll probably have to take a look inside to determine exactly what happened.

Where in Dupont are you?

white noise

Postby white noise » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:02 pm

This would be great!

More than an air-leak? :shock:

The spark plug was black and greasy when I exchanged it. I checked it yesterday and the new plug is also a bit blackish at the end.

What means "free engine"?

I ilve right at 18th and P. I send the address to your pm.

m.n.

Postby m.n. » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Get a rag, kick your scooter over, let it idle for a little, then cover the tailpipe with the rag and your hand. If it doesnt cut out almost immediatly then your seal is toast.
shee-yit!

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Free just means that the engine isn't frozen up.

A couple of other questions: What color was the smoke? Is the engine revving higher than it was? Also if there's gas in your gear box oil its a blown seal issue.

The fact that its making a horrible noise just doesn't add up to a leak though. I'm wondering whether when you adjusted the carb it was adjusted to run too lean.

The black oily plug doesn't necessarily mean that that the carb is running too rich a mixture - it could be caused by things like worn piston rings. Running rich gives you more of a black sooty plug, not a greasy one. We'll see.

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:45 pm

yeah, best to have a look at it. i'm not available tonight, but if martin's not able to take a look tonight, i can swing by tomorrow before the bbq - actually, can give you a lift if the scooter's not sorted out tonight.

following-up on what martin said, is it idling smoothly or revving? it's hard to diagnose sound over the inTarweb, so that needs to be checked in person.

white noise

Postby white noise » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Free just means that the engine isn't frozen up..

No, it's not.

A couple of other questions: What color was the smoke? Is the engine revving higher than it was? Also if there's gas in your gear box oil its a blown seal issue..

Smoke looks normal, sort of whitish. Was it revving higher than usual? i would say so but really it's so loud that you can't really tell from the sound it makes.

Did I mention that i was pulled over twice by the police in between 10 blocks because of the noise?

There was gas in the gear box!!! Holy shit. I was hoping it was just an air-leak....

The fact that its making a horrible noise just doesn't add up to a leak though. I'm wondering whether when you adjusted the carb it was adjusted to run too lean.

i can't tell for certain but I was fairly generous when manipulating the jet. If it did than only for three short rides.
Last edited by white noise on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

white noise

Postby white noise » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 pm

dc_rob wrote:yeah, best to have a look at it. i'm not available tonight, but if martin's not able to take a look tonight, i can swing by tomorrow before the bbq - actually, can give you a lift if the scooter's not sorted out tonight.

Chances are that the scooter will not be fixed by tomorrow. Giving me a lift would be great.

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:07 pm

O.K., I'm not familiar w/ vespas, but...I'm pretty sure you weren't changing the jet, rather just the idle and air mixture screws, correct? or did you replace a jet?

white noise

Postby white noise » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:11 pm

No, I didn't exchange it. Just playing around with the idle screw and the pilot jet or whatever these thingies are called. I cleaned the carb a month ago.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:42 pm

I'm passing by to take a look at it (and hear it) tonight, but even so, a second opinion would be a good idea.

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:45 pm

I pre-emptively second Martin's opinion :wink:

Return to “Service Center”