It died again.

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:15 pm

white noise wrote:Carb is rebuild again. Everything is perfectly fixed in there and around it. Fuel runs as it should. There is spark. Nothing leaks.

But it still doesn't fire. :(

And now?

Replace the CDI. Condenser and Points, too, if your bike has them.

But first the CDI. I had a spare one but someone on the Cannonball took it.

And what do you mean it doesn't "fire"? Do you not have spark at the plug? Or does it simply not run?
byelaya smert

white noise

Postby white noise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:56 pm

does fire mean spark at the plug? I have spark. It refuses to run.

CDI, condenser and points, hm...

Is there a reliable way to figure out what is wrong with my scooter before I go ahead replacing every single screw at it? Something like a checklist which one can consult after checking spark and gas flow?

Or asked differently: How can I see that there is something wrong with CDI, condenser or points?

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:20 pm

borrow someone's CDI and plug it in. If it runs, then there's your problem.

It's harder to do with the condensor and points. I don't even know if your bike has points. Do you?

If you have spark and fuel and you have compression (do you have compression? when you kick it over does it feel like there's resistence) then it should run unless the timing's off, especially since you have spark. It can only mean your spark isn't firing when it's suppossed to be firing.

Have you removed the flywheel at all during your repairs?

So - easiest is CDI. Cheapest is Condensor and Points. If it's not the CDI, or the condensor and points, then you could have a bent crank which is dragging your flywheel and creating a misfire.

I'm in bed for the night or I'd ride over there and let you test my CDI.

It also could be a bad spark plug wire. You would get spark but it would be intermitent.

Also - have you tried jump starting it?
byelaya smert

white noise

Postby white noise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:34 pm

AirborneVespa wrote:borrow someone's CDI and plug it in. If it runs, then there's your problem.

It's harder to do with the condensor and points. I don't even know if your bike has points.

Me neither.

Yes, there is resistance when I kick it over. I haven't jump-start it b/c I never did it and don't know how to do it right.

Also haven't touched the engine yet - need to study and understand first how it works.

Flywheel, condenser, points, bent crack....I am going to the cat in an hour. Maybe a drink and the music will enlighten me about these things.

white noise

Postby white noise » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:16 am

AirborneVespa wrote:borrow someone's CDI and plug it in. If it runs, then there's your problem.

You got mail.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 am

white noise wrote:

You got mail.

If it's Gmail I'll check it when I get home.
byelaya smert

Return to “Service Center”