NSR: how long did your refrigerator live?

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
Serendipity

NSR: how long did your refrigerator live?

Postby Serendipity » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 pm

just wondering. I feel like the ones from childhood lasted 20 years with little or no problems. Mine is 8 years old and has broken for the second time in 4 years. Same as last time - its the fan/compressor. Last time I called the GE repair guy and he offered to do it for half the price if I paid him in cash. Not sure I'll get as lucky to have a crooked repair guy. I guess this means my scooter repair will be delayed again. :(
~Jennifer

epsato

Re: NSR: how long did your refrigerator live?

Postby epsato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I've had the same fridge for seven years and it was bought by the previous owner of my condo at least two years before that. So it's lasted me a good 10 years so far with no major complaints.

There's this plastic grill thingee at the bottom that broke, but that's strictly cosmetic.

However my oven crapped out. It's a gas stove and I've been stuck using the toaster oven and the microwave for a few years as a result. The range still works though, oddly enough.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Enrique -- It is possible that the electronic control in your oven got fried. I'm in the same boat.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3937

And I haven't resolved it yet, mostly because other stuff got crazy in life and the one repair service I did call failed show up twice (and lost my interest in rescheduling). Eventually, I will pull the back off of the stove and do it myself.

In the meantime, we're eating fewer baked meals such as lasagna and enchiladas, which in the end is healthier.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:41 pm

I think you are right.

No exposed screws or anything on the oven though. I've seen recommendations on how to do it, but "do it yourself" projects involving natural gas kinda scare me.

Still, since no one's complained about the work not being done I'm just going to play like we don't need an oven...until the day when we actually do!

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 pm

epsato wrote:I think you are right.

No exposed screws or anything on the oven though. I've seen recommendations on how to do it, but "do it yourself" projects involving natural gas kinda scare me.

Still, since no one's complained about the work not being done I'm just going to play like we don't need an oven...until the day when we actually do!

the "chip" gets fried. It happened on my washer/dryer as well. I"m convinced, that engineered into these newer models are weak parts that cost a fortune to replace, so that things just don't last *forever* anymore. How else can I explain having to replace 5 blackberries in a row for small droplets of water, when I had my original cellphone (a Nokia bar phone) for 6 years, and survived multiple drops into the bathtub?
~Jennifer

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 pm

Makes sense. The GE clothes washer in my house was from 1979 and it's still running perfectly.

Energy inefficient I am sure and the wash basin's tiny, but it's still in good running order.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Our elevator in our building is the original from 1922. We are fearful that DC will soon make us replace it because they are freaks about elevators these days. Not only is the shaft too small for a modern elevator - what to do? - and expense, but our property manager says that the new ones are always breaking down. We have regular maintenance performed on our current one, and its as ugly as sin, but it almost never breaks down.
~Jennifer

colin

Postby colin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:17 pm

A blackberry (and nearly all other modern mobiles) is not a phone, it's a computer. You can't drop your computer in a tub and have it still work, I rest my case. (FYI, iPhone now over 2 years old with no case on it ever and also got soaked on CORSA #1, has never had to be replaced and only the silence button is wonky. Get what you pay for?)

Sounds like the most likely scenario if DC pushes your building to replace the elevator would be to simply remove it. Walk up, lazy fuckers.
Skyyywalker

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:17 pm

colin wrote: (FYI, iPhone now over 2 years old with no case on it ever and also got soaked on CORSA #1, has never had to be replaced and only the silence button is wonky. Get what you pay for?).

that's good to hear since after the last breaking, I got an I phone. I'll see how it does - I am to phones as Tony is to bikes.

I'll tell the lazy fuckers in my building to walk up. Good thing the guy in a wheelchair who lived on the 5th moved out, otherwise I'd look like a jerk.
~Jennifer

colin

Postby colin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Serendipity wrote:that's good to hear since after the last breaking, I got an I phone. I'll see how it does - I am to phones as Tony is to bikes.

Tony breaks phones the same way... or just chose poorly with the Palm Pre ;)

Serendipity wrote:I'll tell the lazy fuckers in my building to walk up. Good thing the guy in a wheelchair who lived on the 5th moved out, otherwise I'd look like a jerk.

Nah, just everyone else would be lazy for not carrying him up anytime he needed.
Skyyywalker

start from scratch

Postby start from scratch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I bought an AEG fridge (with freezer compartment) in 1993 and it's still going strong. Never broken down. 'Stuff' just doesn't seem to last so long these days.
‎"...softly and persistently hammered into shape until — Pinocchio in reverse — from being a living creature... becomes for forty hours an insensate puppet..."

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 am

Ha - this thread time dated the last event of my refrigerator breaking down. So a little over 1 year ago, I fixed my fridge for the second time in 2-3 years, cost me about 600 (200 for the extra electricity it used) and yesterday I came home to find it broken AGAIN. Mine is a GE, and as far as I can tell its NOT a lemon - its just designed so that it has crappy components. Parts that your entire fridge is dependent upon, in the last case, the "heater", look like flimsy crap that should cost $5.

Now I'm going to replace it as the cost of extra electricity and spoiled food is just too annoying. Any rec.s? I've heard good things about kitchen aid, LG, kenmore.

BUT, this hasn't been confirmed, I hear that all of those bottom drawer freezers are actually made by Amana since they hold the patent on it. which would essentially mean your fridge is Amana since most of the components are located in the freezer - compressor/fan/heater/coils? This is how my fridge is currently set up. I don't know much about Amana except they are owned by Goodman which is an A/C manufacturer out of Texas and that they are generally kind of low end.
~Jennifer

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 am

You are to refrigerators as Tony is to motorcycles.

The problem with many modern electronics is the fact that the components they buy to build the control circuits can be sources from a number of suppliers. A company has little incentive to spend $.30 more building a board by sourcing higher quality components when, chances are, the cheaper components will last through the warranty period. Unfortunately as a consumer, we get hosed. Also, spending more money on something doesn't necessarily guarantee a higher quality of componentry, it just guarantees you've spent more money. If you were to buy an ultra cheap, budget fridge that only has temp rheostats and no fancy stuff, pay to have the ice maker installed and throw it in your kitchen-- it may last forever. Point in hand, my dad has had the same fridge since before I was born. It's his second fridge, it spent 24 years in our garage and now 11 years in our basement and before that five years in my grandma's kitchen. In that time, we've replaced at least four fridges in our kitchen, all with more features than the old thing in our garage. I'm sure Airborne wants it to put a type writer on top of to complete his vintage kitchen look.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

starreem

Postby starreem » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 am

I bought a Frigidaire side by side (without front water/ice dispenser), no ice maker in 1991. The front grille (plastic) broke ages ago, it just sort of hanged there like a crooked smile. I just replaced last December with a Kenmore (made by Whirlpool), same design: side by side, no ice maker, no dispenser. I found after I had already pulled the trigger on the new fridge, the intermittent power problem with the old one was actually the six way adapter in the electrical outlet.

I can only hope this fridge lasts 1/2 as long as the old one. Everyone swears it will cost far less in energy than the old one. Time will tell. I don't necessarily buy into the notion of planned obsolescence, but more so the statistical reality: there just there are more bells and whistles to stop functioning on appliances that have all sorts of electrical and mechanical gadgets; especially the ones that have microprocessor controls. Hence my purchase decision for the simplest appliance.

I have spent extended time at a friend's house, who owns one of the bottom drawer freezer types. I hate, hate, hate the design. I have to paw through frozen bags and packages, and nearly empty the thing out every time, looking for that one frozen tidbit that invariably is on the bottom.
Starr

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:59 am

starreem wrote:I bought a Frigidaire side by side (without front water/ice dispenser), no ice maker in 1991. The front grille (plastic) broke ages ago, it just sort of hanged there like a crooked smile. I just replaced last December with a Kenmore (made by Whirlpool), same design: side by side, no ice maker, no dispenser.

I agree with getting the simplest one...that is unless you have 4K to shell out for a sub-zero or similar. I don't need the water through the door thing - the ice dispenser has been broken on mine the entire time I've had it.

starreem wrote:I can only hope this fridge lasts 1/2 as long as the old one.
My parents also have had theirs for 30 years (now in the garage as they have a new one in the remodelled kitchen).

starreem wrote:I have spent extended time at a friend's house, who owns one of the bottom drawer freezer types. I hate, hate, hate the design. I have to paw through frozen bags and packages, and nearly empty the thing out every time, looking for that one frozen tidbit that invariably is on the bottom.

I have a side by side, which I absolutely hate - it feels claustrophic to me (further complicated by the fact that it is a hair wider than it should be and the door hits the wall, so can only open 95 degrees max. I can't clean it out unless I disassemble and practically break the shelves when I'm pulling them out, as the whole thing is so narrow. i think the bottom freezer can be ok if it comes with slide out shelves. Though this Amana patent thing makes me pause.
~Jennifer

Return to “Service Center”