Rear brake cable -what's with that thingee?

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
epsato

Rear brake cable -what's with that thingee?

Postby epsato » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 am

Got a replacement rear brake cable for the VBB. But this cable's odd. It has this odd metal loop at the end. I'm used to brake cables being you know, cables at either end.

What's with that metallic lasso looking "thingee"? More importantly, how do I adapt my brake system to utlize it? I thought to pick up a smaller nut and bolt pair for the brake switch, but I'm not sure it would work.

dirtyhandslopez

Re: Rear brake cable -what's with that thingee?

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Solder the cable directly before the hoop and then cut the hoop off :wink: . Use then as you are used to. Or, change the linkage at the brake pedal to allow for the hoop.
That's not going anywhere

epsato

Postby epsato » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 pm

i was thinking i might change the linkage. the old system seems odd with two pinch bolts vs the p series method. funny , ive changed a few brake cables before but never on a p. never noticed the loop before. what size bolt for the other linjkage?

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 pm

The loop on the P200 is for the P200 brake pedal assembly with a longer pin that is supported on both sides. The VBB style is fine.. just cut the loop off. If you try to use the loop on a VBB you are in for a fight that is really not worth fighting since there is not much room there between the pedal and the tunnel. You should really just run it stock.

epsato

Postby epsato » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:07 am

Just realized the P200 needs a new brake cable. What the heck did I do with the one that caused this whole post?

Return to “Service Center”