Spot Weld broken-Legshield

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
dcunited4life

Spot Weld broken-Legshield

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 am

So I mounted my engine back in my P200 after rebuilding it and rolled it over to my neighbors house to borrow his impact wrench. When I got home, after sitting on it and doing the Fred Flintstone up and down the street, I noticed under the respray the PO did that there was a spot weld between the channel and the leg shield about halfway up under where the glove box is normally located (it's off at the moment from recently adding leg shield trim) which is no longer there and the leg shield metal is separating from the main channel of the frame. The steering feels wobbly as well just rolling the thing around and there is noticeable flex. So my question is should I

1.) Spot weld it back like the factory did

2.) Run a seam weld on just the side behind the leg shield where the channel and leg shield meet

3.) Run a seam weld on both sides behind the glove box in the same location

4.) Fabricate some gussets which triangulate the intersection of the leg shield and the main chassis channel and weld those in?

I'm leaning on just seam welding behind the leg shield on the side which has the broken spot weld but I am unsure if the additional strength in that location will put additional stresses on the other side. It wouldn't be that much more of an issue to seam weld both sides if necessary. Gussets would be cool but may take up glove box space and seem overkill for my application (daily driver). I just want the thing to be sturdy at 65 if necessary. Thanks and opinions appreciated.

Zeets

Re: Spot Weld broken-Legshield

Postby Zeets » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 am

I wouldn't seam weld it, chances are you'll warp and cause all sorts of disfigurement to the leg shield. You can essentially "spot" weld it by drilling holes in one piece of metal and then just using your welder to tack the two pieces together through the hole. You may need to repeat this in several locations to get the channel securely attached to the leg shield.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

dcunited4life

Re: Spot Weld broken-Legshield

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Hum...good thought. The original weld is totally gone so all I really need to do is clean up around the area and spot weld where the original was then. Fast and easy. There is a small tear in the sheet metal running horizontally on the legshield. I'd say less than 1" 1/4. think I'll weld that up n grind it down too to smooth it out.

Return to “Service Center”