Serveta electrical update

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
porter

Re: Serveta electrical update

Postby porter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 am

Colin,
Im not trying to complicate things, but I went through much the same electrical thinking on my S3.
Knowing that I wanted to run a spotlight, and have solid lights at idle, I decided to go the DC route, added a sealed battery, and modified my loom to suite my needs.
The best info for the conversion I found was here:
http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... podtronics

The article that was in Scootering magazine for the podtronics, or for floating the ground, is also a gem of knowledge.

I will say that although I didn't believe the conversion at first, the amount of people that have had success with it is convincing. My results are like all the rest, I have solid lights all the time, my battery charges positively at moderately low revs, and the stator/regulator/battery system has remained stable, trouble free. I used a brand new bgm 120w stator for jett200.

Its easier to use turn signals with DC, as most of the flasher units use DC, and you isolate it as a seprate circuit to keep it clean and simple. I always found out that by ripping apart the stock diagrams and creating one that does what I want was easier, even if it added wiring. I usually make up a colored diagram for myself, as it helps me to understand the whole thing, which is better for troubleshooting when the time comes.

Instead of 'junction boxes', I prefer these, they go by different names, but google gang block terminal strip: http://www.iboats.com/SeaChoice-Nickel- ... ew_id.2904

good luck-

colin

Postby colin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks, I'll read over that when I have some time, but basically my issues are solved other than rewiring where the horn switch gets it's power from (since it's DC).

The issue was wrong documentation on the BGM pamphlet that came with the stator, which is corrected on the seemingly unofficial site where they host the docs. It shows the two circuits properly segregated, which the doc I had did not.

I have solid lights at idle on AC with the BGM v2.0 (120w) stator, so don't see a need to mess with that. Only thing I haven't tested much is battery charging, but with only a horn using that currently, not much of an issue since it's loud as hell at idle.
Skyyywalker

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am

As I set out to begin dealing with a serveta electronic conversion... this thread makes me want to puke... but I'm gald others have gone before me. Amen.
I break scooter parts

porter

Postby porter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am

Im no electrical genius, and my lambretta recently blew a fuse to remind me of that.
But, take a straightforward approach on this, and layout what the goals are. There's plenty of written info on the net about how to make it work. Scooterotica is filled with good electrical stuff.

I'd remove most of the quirky serveta stuff and go simple non battery 12v, but you might want your turn signals. Adding a battery isn't bad, just read the wassel unit topic.

good luck-

and give these things a try, they are nice...
http://www.wago.us/products/2631.htm

Return to “Service Center”