Stupid Question RE: P Series carb Rebuild

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
epsato

Re: Stupid Question RE: P Series carb Rebuild

Postby epsato » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm

The "racing" is revs right after letting go of the accelerator.

I took the scoot out for a test ride last night and did notice it wouldn't entirely cut off when the accelerator was let go. It was super subtle. But as soon as I got home to do some testing on my brake cable, the engine would race if I gave it too much gas and let go.

I'll check the cable adjuster to make sure it's not pulled out. I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Check the cable and linkage atr the carb tub to make sure it's not a cable/slide issue.

If the cable is slightly too loose sometimes the cable slips out of the adjuster and it hangs up on it and causes the engine to rev higher.

If it's not this then check to see if it does it the same way when the engine is just started (within the first 1/2 mile of riding, or if it only does it once you're really warmed up the engine.

If it only does it after it's warmed up then I'd be serious about checking the timing to see if it's not firing too early. You may be getting pre-iginition which will eventually burn a hole in the piston. Or perhaps your CDI is not firing consistantly and causing things to go out of whack.

If you don't have a timing light, then use this general guide;
If you can pull the flywheel off, then check to see that the stator plate is not rotated too far counterclockwise.. you should have it set somehwere between the middle of the slot or perhaps slightly to a more clockwise position by one or two degrees. It should not be twisted/jambed all the way one way or the other, but closer to the middle.

If you want to try to ride it up to ellicott city tonight, i'll be in the garage packing for the rally and getting a PX150 ready for the rally.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Ramsey's Revenge?
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

RR just needs to be loading into the van.. and yes it will be coming along (if my van makes it to gettysburg without the transmission blowing up).

I don't think I've run it since last year's NSP. But it should be fine. If not i'll throw a can of carb cleaner in the van along with some tools to clean out the carb if it jambs up at the campground.

But for riding around town I'm planning to bring a PX150 that I scored over the summer. I just didn't feel like bringing one of my nicer scoots since it's prolly gonna be a rainy muddy time at the campground. Plus two scoots in the van is tight and being careful just isn't fun. So the PX will hopefully do the trick.

Hey enrique.. let me know if you want me to throw the timing light in the van.

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:32 pm

RE: Timing light, I'd say yes. IF I can get the P200 in solid enough shape tonight (brake cable permitting) I may try to give Ellicot City a run.

Most likely I'll be able to make enough bodges to make it up to NSP...then will seek out tech support when everyone's in one place (and drinking Mai Tais!)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Are you working on friday or going to the rally? If you're not working then you could stay over in ellicott city and then head up the the rally tommorow from my place.

I've gotta work tommorow though.. so I'll be getting to the rally late on friday evening some time.

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Mikeh wrote:Are you working on friday or going to the rally? If you're not working then you could stay over in ellicott city and then head up the the rally tommorow from my place.

I've gotta work tommorow though.. so I'll be getting to the rally late on friday evening some time.

I'd totally take you up on this, but I've got to take my daughter to school tomorrow AM then take my ebay goods to the post office before heading up with the DC group.

I'm going to give the carb and rear brake one more shot tonight. I've always had trouble with dialing in carbs so it may just be my own ineptitude.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:53 pm

There's really not much to "dial".

There's an idle screw that doesn't do anything once your riding the scooter, and then the mix screw at the back that should be between 1-1/2 and 3 full turns backed out from a fully seated position.

Jetting usually won't make or brake the rideability of a scoot.. it usually makes things run a tad to hot or a tad too smokey if it's wrong.

Good luck

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Mikeh wrote:There's really not much to "dial".

Good luck

Which makes it that much more frustrating that I can never seem to do it right! I'm determined, but sometimes moxie can't make up for a lack of skill.

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 am

Carb's running fine now. thanks!

RE: the cable, it turns out the pinch bolt can just get taken off entirely. the loop of the brake cable goes over the bolt the pinch bolt attaches to.

Downside? the cable outer's too long! I couldn't get the brake to engage properly and figured it out. I'm going to try to cut the outer and give it one more go.

Last downside is that the engine seems to leak a bit when the gas is turned on. It doesn't seem to be coming from the carb. Should I be worried about a blown seal if the engine is running without trouble now?

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 am

I'm done ansering your questions.. to many questions.

you need a team of experts.

it's someone elses turn.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

Mikeh wrote:I'm done ansering your questions.. to many questions.

you need a team of experts.

it's someone elses turn.

I just blew coffee out of my nose, dammit Heytens.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Now I kinda feel like a bully/dick. Enrique, please don't take it the wrong way.. I'm just kinda joking..

But sometimes it does feel like you're asking for directions on how to tie your shoes.

I mean your last question about "should I be concerned if gas is leaking?"

Really? You need to ask a question on this?

YES you should be concerned. And you know what to check on that.. if it's not leaking in the carb then it's leaking at the tap or fuel line. Check it out and fix it before you ride that bomb on the road.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I just reread your post... gas is coming from the engine? huh?

Is oil dripping from the exhaust or if gas dripping off the motor. If it's gas off the motor when the tap is on.. then what I stated in my previous post still is valid.

If gas is dripping from the cylinder into the exhaust then your carb needle/float bowl is leaking.

If gas is leaking out of the bottom of the carb tub onto the clutch cover then your carb float bowl is overflowing.. meaning there is something wrong with the float.

Ok.. I've answered my share of questions.. norm, zeets, or DCunited4life it's your turn.

epsato

Postby epsato » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I forgot to follow up on this post:

I was at Crowley's around 1PM on Friday when I read the follow ups. Sorry for fraying patience and nerves, but on the real, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing half the time. The other half, I'm pretty sure, but don't always have a lot of confidence in my work. I'm also insecure as a mofo. Hence, a gadjillion questions.

The final tidbits were all that was needed. The leak was caused by a hose clamp not being screwed in all the way. 5 minute fix and with that the scooter was 100% ready for prime time. It rode smoothly to Gettysburg and got ridden into town about mid-day Saturday. No complaints.

So thanks to this team of experts, the P200's running solid. Now to get started on the front end work on the PX everyone's saying I need to get done and to figure out what to do with that VNA frame that's collecting dust right now...

Looks like it's going to be a looong winter.

@ Heytens, Zeets and the rest of the tech team: Thank you.

Return to “Service Center”