1979 P200e carb, US emmissions setup

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
dcunited4life

1979 P200e carb, US emmissions setup

Postby dcunited4life » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 am

Anyone ever buy a P200e and have the restricted carb settings for the jets? I pulled my main jet yesterday to replace (upjet) due to a expansion pipe being added and discovered my 24/24 carb has the restricted jetting for the US market. Think I'm just going to swap everything to the more standard set up like this:

Jets
Main: 116 (to be swapped for the expansion pipe. Says go up 10 so I got 125,126,128 mains)
Diffuser: BE3
Atomizer: 60
Idle SS: 160
Starter Jet: 60

The bike came with:

Main:109
Diffuser: BE4
Idle SS: 120

Not too sure about the others. I am also thinking of doing the "Heart Mod" to my air filter. Drilling it out basically. My question is, did anyone's bike come with the same restrictive setup for emissions that mine has? What did you do? Leave it, change, etc? Anyone with experience doing the heart modification? I'm figuring setting the carb up with the "standard" setting and an upjet should get me rolling good. I also set the timing to 19 BTDC due to recommendations I have read regarding the expansion pipe and pre ignition. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Mikeh

Re: 1979 P200e carb, US emmissions setup

Postby Mikeh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am

I have had P200's come in that had the 120 top jet instead of the 160 top. The 120 makes everything richer. So if you use a smaller main jet (like a 109) then it is supposed to balance out.

Also messing with the idle jet and BE jets can have affects over the entire rev range. There is alot to learn about the SI carb. But for just a pipe on a stock motor I would get back to stock jetting (160 main with BE3, with 55:160 idle and maybe a 118 main jet).

Here are some useful charts;

FYI these are the idle jets;

These are the BE Jets;

I also found this which seems to indicate that if you play with the idle jet that it can balane the top jet;

I think the new SIP catalog also has charts and explanations

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Good info there Mike.
Might want to make sure you have the little plastic drip tray in there as well DC, at least according to Kev :P
That's not going anywhere

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am

D-Lo...who's Kev? I concur, this is great info. Waiting on my jets to arrive from scooter mercato. Did a big ride yesterday but I'm running rich....then the stupid fucking kickstart lever broke which i hear is quite common. Bump started that bitch this AM and rode her to work...this expansion pipe is surely waking up the neighbors. :D

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 am

For curiosity's sake, what pipe are you running?
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am

I beleive it's your old pipe.. the one you traded to Mike L... he then traded it to Enrique who traded it to Will.

Hey Will, did you get that pipe welded up yet?

Also make sure that you get the stub springs tight to the cylinder or the bracket at the swingarm will crack more and/or you will snap bolts off (I think it had snapped off bolts before). This is caused when the exhaust is allowed to bounce on the cylinder stub.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am

Yep that's the one....sounds beast. A real noise maker.

My neighbor and I threw the torch on it and backed the broken bolts out of the bracket and I replaced them with something from his parts bin along with some urethane bushings I bought from the auto parts store and cut in half to make a bushing for the setup. I got the springs on quite tight actually, it was kinda a bitch to get them on but I used the bracket in the location I thought it was supposed to be mounted on (lower bolt which attaches the shroud and flywheel cover) and hooked the springs to that. Seems to be holding up pretty well after about 100 miles of riding yesterday. Only issue left is the 2-stroke rattling causes the replacement bolts to begin to back out of the bracket after riding awhile. Doesn't help that I have been thrashing through cobblestone streets either but hell that's the only way to diagnose the weak links in the system. I'll probably need to ad some lock washers or additional bolts to the hanger bracket to keep things tight but it's getting sorted and sounds like a dirtbike. :twisted:

Pipe itself likes to be revved. I suppose that's how all expansion pipes work I guess but I can really feel it in third when you start to get on it and it pulls through the range....it doesn't like it in 4th too much but if you can really open it up it starts going. Also, I've only got about 150 miles on the engine rebuild and waiting on jets to really see what power I can get outta the thing. I'm still running rich right now with a 120 main along with the anemic restricted jets throughout the rest of the carb which is 11+ from the stock main of 109. Looking forward to getting the replacements and really getting it tuned from there. I got 125, 126 and 128 mains to go along with the traditional jet setup for a P200e with an 24/24 si carb. I also did the "heart" mod to my air filter yesterday before putting everything together and opened her up for some more airflow. Down the road, I see a Polini venturi intake in my future.

Bike still needs some breaking in to be all the way. I was riding with Sam and Brian yesterday. Not sure the displacement on Brians Lammy but Sam was taking off on his P200. That thing sounds like a tractor..lol. :) The Lammy was keeping up but not ripping up the streets per se, that is until the temps dropped at dark and it really came alive.....help the poor man with some cowl rubbers though....sounds like that bike is gonna rattle apart. Tincan....thanks everyone.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 am

Cool beans -- I used that pipe with a 128 main (and I don't recall the rest of the stack), in a 24/24 feeding a Pinasco 215 cylinder. You're the fourth owner of that pipe (excluding the NSP trade around). Probably won't need to repack it for a while. I recall doing that sometime not too long before I decided I no longer wanted a monster.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm

For the bolts coming loose on the bracket the heavy duty fix is to run longer M8 bolts through the bracket backwards and then tighten two M8 nuts onto each other on the each bolt (four m8 nuts). The M8 nuts will lock the bolts from coming loose and the bolt can't come out since the head of the bolt rests on the back of the bracket. You need to run the bolts backward since there is not enough room for nuts between the bracket and the pipe. The trick here is that you will have a hard time fitting the pipe over the longer bolts. You need to trim the bolts to just the right length and then it helps to dremel a slot in the end so that you can fit the exhaust onto the bolts and then screw the bolts outward until the head on the other end of the bolt is tight to the bracket.. then commence with the M8 nuts to tigten it up.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Yea I think you are right Mike....gonna be a bitch to change a tire but oh well.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:29 pm

With that set up, it'd be good to go tubeless.

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Shit, right now after all I've done I'm happy to have a running scoot. I hear ya though.

Just so you know, this scoot has been a total nutjob. I got her running yesterday and took her out and on the ride back from the coffeeshop my front brake cable snapped. Got a new one and rode for 1-2 hours then when riding with Sam my kickstart lever broke. Salvaged one today off a wrecked Stella. I think everything will be new on here at some point soon.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Brian is running a 175. 20mm carb, stock pipe. Oh. and the magic wand was waved over it :wink: . Aberacadabera :)
That's not going anywhere

Return to “Service Center”