p200 wiring harness

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
fredneckscoots

p200 wiring harness

Postby fredneckscoots » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Ummm...any good online how to do on running a new wiring harness. I got it in from the rear light down to the turn signal wires, but then it gets tight. A thread on modernvespa said to put KY jelly on it before proceeding. Thanks.
I break scooter parts

Zeets

Re: p200 wiring harness

Postby Zeets » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I know you have an over-abundance of KY at home, but, if you don't want to break into your necessary supplies, you can also buy a wire specific lube at Home Depot, or you can use dish soap.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Zeets wrote:I know you have an over-abundance of KY at home, but, if you don't want to break into your necessary supplies, you can also buy a wire specific lube at Home Depot, or you can use dish soap.

I'm so glad we have lube expert amongst us. Thanks Zeets.

Any other tips on running it/removing old one? Still need to remove headset wires and wires from front .
I break scooter parts

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 pm

The harness is easiest to install with the entire scooter apart.

It makes it easier if the fork is dropped. The headset must come off in any event.

So once the gas tank is out, the rear brake pedal assembly, the horncast, the headset, and maybe the glovebox are off you are ready to route the harness.

It must be fed from the tank area.

I use speedometer inner cables or stiff wire and insert it into the frame at the places you want to pull the wires out of.

The fishing of wires toward the front should be the brake wires on one stiff wire and the rest of the harness to the horncast area.

Once you get the harness out to the horncast area you can then pull the individual wires to the turn signals and also up to the headset.

You should not need lube for a P200. Perhaps some silicone spray at the turn signal wires though.

Sometimes on the tail light wiring (I think on the vbb's) the wires need to go in a tube, and this fit can be very tight, so in that case I may use lube.. and when I say lube it's WAX based stuff from Lowes or HD.

basically when you need to pull wire through something that has a constant retraint (like a tube or conduit) and the friction of the wire insulation increases with the lenght of the pull, then lube is a good idea.

For other stuff where i need to shove something through a grommett hole, then I use silicone spray.

Good luck

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Don't fuck up anything more than you're capable of repairing.

And try not to set anything on fire, especially yourself.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Susan

Postby Susan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Zeets wrote:Don't fuck up anything more than you're capable of repairing.

But that's what I'm best at!
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks. The scooter is all apart, just the fishing of the wires I'm not sure about. Trying to visualize where they are going and how best to go about this.
I break scooter parts

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm

I use speedometer inner cables or stiff wire and insert it into the frame at the places you want to pull the wires out of.

The fishing of wires toward the front should be the brake wires on one stiff wire and the rest of the harness to the horncast area.

Once you get the harness out to the horncast area you can then pull the individual wires to the turn signals and also up to the headset.

Got it through. No lube needed. It looks like the only reason you have to remove the glovebox is to route those turn signal wires. I made it the entire way without taking it off and now at the end it looks like it has to go anyway. Thanks again for these helpful tips Mike! :D
I break scooter parts

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Glad to hear it worked out. And yup, you need to take the glove box off to get at the wires. If you're tricky you can get it without taking it off.. but why make it difficult on yourself? It's only four nut and washer setups.

While you have the glovebox off it's a good time to put the legshield trim on and also replace the column lock and lock cover if you need to do that.

Return to “Service Center”