Soda Blasting or other Parts Cleaning

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
Mikeh

Soda Blasting or other Parts Cleaning

Postby Mikeh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Hey guys,
I've got about 4 motors that i plan to be building in the next month or so. I was wondering if anyone has a soda blasting setup that i can borrow and/or if anyone reccomends a service that does this. I see a guy in Silver Spring on craigslist offers the service for cheap, maybe I will use him this time.

Or I may want to do it myslelf but I don't think i want to buy and store all the equipment, so borrowing it would be the ticket.

I'll likely just do what I have always done in the past and wash the cases in a storage tub with dish detergent and compressed air.. but for the motors I plan to keep I may want them very clean with soda blasting.

Also anyone have a parts washer that I can borrow for the motor internals? I'll check with Tasi.. I think he had one but not sure. Again.. i will probably resort to using my little 1 gallon tub of carb cleaner and soaking the parts and spraying them out.. but I may want to do a mass cleaning in an afternoon with a parts washer.

Honestly for the parts cleaning.. if there were a serice that I could just drop a tub of greasy/grimey parts off and them pick them all cleaned, then i would be super happy as long as the price was somewhat cheap.
So if anyone has leads on a service that does this I'd be into hearing about it. I mean it would be easy for a place to have a big tank and just soak my parts in solvent and then spray them off with compressed air.. I just don't have a big tank or solvent or the desire to keep one around.

Thanks for any tips

MikeH

dirtyhandslopez

Re: Soda Blasting or other Parts Cleaning

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:27 am

Mike, I have all of that. Parts washer, agitator for small parts(nuts and bolt), blasting cabinet. Have a tig rig set up now for aluminum welding if needed. Can also check crankshafts for trueness on a real deal Rowe crank checker. Getting boring bar rebuilt next so's as to be able to do it all. 20 ton press available.
If you can get it all down here, it can be taken care of.
That's not going anywhere

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the offer Darren, I'll think about it and I do appreciate it.. but a big part of my thoughts are telling me that 5 hours of driving back and forth from Richmond is probably not gonna pencil out as worth while. I think if I took the same amount (or less) gas or keroseen and filled a 5 gallon tub and soaked the parts it may be easier.

But then what do i do with the old crappy keroseen when it's all gunky?

And is diesel of keroseen better to soak parts in?

Or maybe I'll just go back to the original way I was doing it with dish detergent and a power washer combined with a compressed air gun.

Gunky here we go.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 am

If you have oil heat, you could put the Kerosene or Diesel into the tank.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 am

Depending on where you are Mike, usually takes me 1.5 hours to get to DC. I hear you though.
I have Lammy case soaking in heating oil at this moment, for unsiezing purposes though. I'll keep re-using it until it turns to mud I reckon. Or, if it gets real cold next winter., let it stand, filter it and run it thorugh the shop space heater....funny thing is lots of people are giving up on heating oil cause it's too expensive, but they still have a few gallons left in the tank and offer it freely.. Have pump, will travel.... :) Still have 55 gallons left from last years tank empying and that's after heating all this winter :)
That's not going anywhere

Return to “Service Center”