tank cleaning, local radiator shop

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
porter

tank cleaning, local radiator shop

Postby porter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

I have a vespa gas tank that I lined with Por 15 6 years ago. Looking into it now, some of the coating has bubbles, some is secure, and the bottom outlet hole has an area that has chipped and peeled off completely. I'm now looking into deciding to run with it as is, or, getting it stripped out and fixed. I was wondering if anyone had a local radiator shop that has done the acid dip thing in the past. Maybe it could be sand blasted instead and then cleaned thoroughly.
I'd like to consider nickel plating it, that seems to be the best thing I have seen, but I have no idea where to get that done around here. I might just reline it with another product that may work for a few years.

Advice please on places that can do it all or pieces of the equation.

Mikeh

Re: tank cleaning, local radiator shop

Postby Mikeh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Getting the coating out of your tank will be a big pain. You may want to replace the tank instead.

Anyway you look at it you will be repainting your tank, so getting a used one for $50 may be better than putting more money into your old tank that may have pin holes after you sand blast or etch it.

If you had a rusted tank that was not coated then I'd give you advice on how to clean it yourself with muriatic acid and old nuts and bolts along with a wire brush on a drill with an extension bit .. or to go to a radiator shop..

Or maybe a powder coating place can cook your old tank and burn that liner out of there... or maybe you could throw the tank in a bon fire and see what's left when the fire dies down the next morning.. that may be the best thing to do.

porter

Postby porter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 am

I need to add that the outside of the tank is painted with matching color to the rest of the scooter body, in deep emerald green. It must have been heavily prepped, because the finish coat on it is glass smooth. I'd like to try to save that from being destroyed by fire or chemicals if possible. Even the flap cap is done to match.

I think that I am going to try to chip off what I can see in there that is either loose or bubbling off. Most of the rest of the interior is fine. I don't see the liner coming off in tiny pieces either, and with at least three filters between the gas and motor, I think that I'll just have to check it periodically to see if anything else comes loose.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am

If you don't want to affect the outside of the tank you may try soaking a high concentration of muriatic acid in the tank. This will likely get in between the creeme coat and any rusty metal and make the bond to the creeme coat loosen up. You would need to remove the fuel tap and replace it with a tight fitting rubber stopper because the acid will eat aluminum (ask me how I know). And use a piece of sheet rubber between the lid and the tank (cut up an old inner tube), dump the acid in the tank and mix it with about 80 to 50% water.

Then follow up with wire brush on a dremel wand or drill extension through the top of the tank and from the bottom too.. I use a utility sink to flush the tank... soak a few more times with acid (a couple of days for each soaking) and hopefully you can remove that crappy cream stuff.

Personally i have never like the coatings for the tanks. I am always trying to get more gas in my tanks.. so putting a coating in would decrease the capacity by the amount of whatever you put in there. And it's heavy, and eventually it will clog your carb and fuel tap.

JV

Postby JV » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:16 pm

These guys aren't local (south of Pittsburgh) but supposedly can do cycle tanks for interior clean and ethanol resistant recoat for reasonable price without damaging exterior paint.

Elizabeth Radiator, Elizabeth, Pa.
412-384-5310

I haven't used them yet but hope too in the next several months.....let us know if you have any feedback on them!!!

fried okra

Return to “Service Center”