Machine shop for fork repair and T5 head reprofile?

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
PunkRockGeoff

Machine shop for fork repair and T5 head reprofile?

Postby PunkRockGeoff » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Like the title says, need to find a machine shop. I have a T5 head that needs to be reprofiled for a Malossi 172cc kit. I don't mind sending this one out to get it done right. My current options are buy a new billet head for big bucks from SIP or send it to England for @$120-150 in shipping plus another @$35 on the work.

Both key ways on my T5 fork, (T5 fork has 2 key ways,) are damaged from a theft attempt, see picture. The other key way is worse, but harder to photograph without taking the headset off. It needs new metal welded on and a rethread. Once again, don't want to spend the big bucks ordering new from SIP. A good shop closer to B'more would be preferable.

fork-keyway-damage.jpg
fork-keyway-damage.jpg (182.49 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

Mikeh

Re: Machine shop for fork repair and T5 head reprofile?

Postby Mikeh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Hot Rod Scooter (HRS) in sacremento is your best bet to get the head profiled correctly. It's best ot call Al on his phone number and then send him the parts after you talk. He may need you to messure the current squish or distance between the top of piston and the top of the cylinder.

For the lock, i can't tell from your photo what is going on. If it's a simple weld then i can do it. A careful weld would only affect the area about 1/8" outside of the slot. I am not sure why the threads would be near the lock mechanism and if they are then perhaps the threads and be ground off about 1/8" back from the point where the lock mechanism sticks into the fork.

let me know if you want to come up to Ellicott City and get this welded up.

PunkRockGeoff

Postby PunkRockGeoff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Mikeh wrote:For the lock, i can't tell from your photo what is going on.

The bottom left of key way/slot, the metal is sheared off. The other slot is the same way. When the little cretins tried to bust the column lock, the fork gave way before the column lock, busting the bottom locking washer and gouging the metal off the fork. Basically you're looking at the bearing assembly with nothing installed above it. If it was put back together, next is a bottom locking washer, (specific to the Cosa, T5 MK I and PKXL2, I think,) then the headset, then the top locking washer, (similar to P/PX etc, but with 2 tabs on it instead of one,) then the top nut, (same as PX etc...) Here's a pic of the bottom locking washer that sheared the metal off the fork, (bottom of washer is facing up in pic:)
t5 washer.jpg
t5 washer.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Edit: Ugh, just realized I'm likely going to need to cut off the the nut on the bearing assembly just below the gouged out bit.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 pm

I suggest you try to clean up the threads and then take the lower nut off the fork.

If you can get it out to ellicott city i could have a look and may be able to help you out to salvage your fork. I don't have a die for the fork threads but I'm pretty good a being creative to save stuff.

PunkRockGeoff

Postby PunkRockGeoff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

OK, I'll take you up on that. Maybe next week sometime?

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Wednesday or Thursday night may work for me.
I am not sure if Baltimore will be meeting up on wednesday. If not then I'll be home wrenching on wednesday night. Shoot me an email to coordinate

heytens
at yah00

Return to “Service Center”