5w Pilot & Tail light woes

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
kev187

5w Pilot & Tail light woes

Postby kev187 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:57 am

Hello Everyone~

So my Stella's 5W Pilot Light & Tail light are not working, everything else is fine.

It was noticed last night while doing the del-ray meet up.

I have pulled the top cover & tail light assembly. I replaced both bulbs with new ones. I have triple checkd all the connectors & wires (at least the ones thats are visible & easy to get to.

SO no luck, I am guessing this is one of those hate to think of it someplace down the wiring harness is a gremlin. I have never torn down a scooter before, but I have torn down a good part of a couple motorcycles. My electrical skills are amature at best.

Anyones thoughts? I am thinking bite the bullet & get ripped off putting it in the shop at $70 an hour (sigh) wish I had a real garage I coudl tear this thing down in?

I appreciate any feedback Ideas?

shane

Tail light

Postby shane » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:25 pm

Do you have an multimeter? We need to test the circuit going to the tail light to see where the the power interuption is...

I've attached a two page wiring diagram from the Stella service manual. The 1st page is the earlier version (no "Stop" light on the guage). The 2nd page is the later version with the "Stop" light.

---CRAP. I can't attach the file. Too big. If I shrink it any more, it will be unusable.

What is your email address?

-Shane
Last edited by shane on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev187

Postby kev187 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Hey shane.

My email is kev4evr@mac.com

I have a 12v tester if that is what you mean? I live in Alexandria, but have a truck + ramp.

I pulled off the head set cover & had the tail light out, I tested the lines at the visible area & their is no voltage, my guess is someplace inside the scoot the voltage is interrupted?

I am used to motorcycles where all you have to do is pulle the seat & tank off to see your wiring, the scoot is a bit stuffed insidee.

What do you think?
Last edited by kev187 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev187

Postby kev187 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Ahhh... multimeter not 12V tester

I can easily go to autozone or what ever & buyone, about $30.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:45 pm

Definitely do some testing before you go pulling wires - it's usually something stupid you're overlooking. No electricity probably means you're grounding out somewhere. A wire break is a tough thing to occur if you aren't actively pulling and jerking on the harness on a daily basis.
byelaya smert

kev187

Postby kev187 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:40 pm

I appreiciate the help. A week ago my head light stopped working, it was a broken tab in the high beam switch, I am wondering if I disturbed something in the process of messing with the wires to get the new tab on.

I am no expert with vehicle electronics, what exactly am I testing? I tested the lines running to the bulbs front & back. I have no voltage, anything beyond that is down inside the frame, so I would assume to test the lines I would be pulling wires anyway?

Just wish I had a garage, so I can start taking it apart. Its under a cover in my driveway right now with the headset cover off.

tony

Postby tony » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:36 pm

As of late mid 2005 or thereabouts - most stellas also came with a fuse for the rear light inside the horncast - might be worth taking that off to muck about in there. If all looks good, it's probably the cheap metal stamping around the fork that cut the wires - it happened on mine. Should be a quick 5 min job either way.
2011 CORSA BIke! ct90.tumblr.com

kev187

Postby kev187 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:29 pm

THANKS!

Today I met up with the moderator of DC scoots & we played around with it & discovered the fuse for the light uder the horncast. None of the electrical diagrams show it. I am confused on how the entire scoot runs off one 8 amp fuse.... but the 5W Pilot Light & Tail light have its own fuse alone? There must be more to it... but regardless I am very happy to have the stella back in order again :-) There was even a spare fuse in there!

I rode the Stella from Alexandria to Cheverly at 8am in the rain via freeway this morning to use his tools & garage, truly scary, but good fun just the same.

Thanks for the help everyone :-)

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:58 am

So the secondary fuse is under the horncast! A similar electrical problem in Beth's Stella was one in a series of misfortunes that kept us from going to Richmond on Saturday (her Saturns serpintine belt was another). For the past week, we've been plugging away at her wiring with the multi-meter and several diagrams found on various web sites. We figured that fuse might be blown but weren't sure if it actually existed because the diagrams disagreed on the matter. Never looked under the horncast. Doh! -- Ryan

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:06 am

stellaspeed.com is a good resource for this info. as well..if you're not already checking it out.

kev187

Postby kev187 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 am

We found it by dumb luck. We tried testing the wires with no luck. We looked on stella speed & could not find anything.

Following the wiring diagram from the full Stella Shop manual "I have it on PDF file if anyone wants it" we looked & the only place we saw a possible problem was at the ignition switch. We pulled the horncast off to look at the ignition switch & there it was... a big fuse holder & even better, it already had a spare fuse.

My question remains... why does the entire scoot electrical system have on 8amp fuse all everything... yet the 5W pilot & tail light alone have their own fuse?

Or maybe its better to leave such questions unanswered considering its a indian remake of a dated scooter ;-)

I have had it on the road just around 2 months & turned 1000 miles on it this weekend, not too bad, I usually put about 800 a month on my motorcycle also. Lucky that my Triumph has a fuse box though ;o)

Return to “Service Center”