Lambretta shifting cable

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
normratscoots

Lambretta shifting cable

Postby normratscoots » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:06 am

So, would the correct way to set the shifting adjustment after replacing a cable inner go something like this: A) start with the trunions loose on both cables and the barrel adjusters screwed in, line up the neutral indicator and pull cables nearly, but not super tight B) tighten both trunions, C) start bike and see how it shift, D) adjust barrel adjusters to suite?

Yesterday was the third time I've ever fit a shifting cable to a Lambretta and I wasn't getting anywhere on the adjustment. The two previous times have gone butter smooth. I think I was working in the direct sun, losing my senses and forgetting that the bike needs to be moving (or running?) for it to shift properly. Thoughts are welcome.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

imjuanpablo

Re: Lambretta shifting cable

Postby imjuanpablo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Sounds about right........you want to put barrel adjusters all the way in.......and pull the inner cables to remove any major slack (after getting bike into neutral and someone holding the shifting perch in neutral), and adjust with barrels. Hard to really shift when bike isn't running......can go into first fairly easily without engine running, but other gears, not so much.
John F.

starreem

Postby starreem » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I usually align the shifter to neutral, and tape it with duct tape of gaffer tape to keep it in position. I have, in the best of my opinion have adjusted all mine the same. One scooter shifts like butter, another is sloppy as can be, another is clunky. I think it all depends on gearing components, age of cables, lubrication, etc. What John said...
Starr

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Linkage components can be a big equaliser .. Also, how tighttly shimmed the gearbox endplate is. It's good to try to get the smallest tolerance possible, 4thou, may even go 3thou if it is my own scoot.
Good to see you back around Starr :D
That's not going anywhere

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for the thoughts, got back to it on Saturday and (before rain cut me off) had it shifting relatively smoothly, with some difficulty getting into first. Had to pull the horncast and reposition the cable inners in their upper perches and also replaced both inners, rather than just the one that initially snapped, as the upshift cable had begun to fray, which I had not noticed. I did drop the speedometer nut down the fork tube.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:51 am

normratscoots wrote: I did drop the speedometer nut down the fork tube.

Just did that on saturday, it sucks. Out with the welding wire formed into a hook....
Glad you got the cable stuff sorted
That's not going anywhere

Return to “Service Center”