Lambretta kick start lever

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
Serendipity

Lambretta kick start lever

Postby Serendipity » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 pm

I installed a new kick start lever from jet 200 as the old one broke. It was kind of a pain to install and I had to pound it with a rubber mallet. Maybe some strong man hands wouldn't have to resort that, but it was the best that I could do. At any rate, once I installed it, I found that the edge of the stop is scraping against the tail pipe. Comparing the old one to the new one, they didn't seem like exactly the same shape, so maybe that's the problem. However, since it only seems to overlap by maybe 1/16" -1/8" (just barely scrapes the pipe, maybe the pipe moves a little), I was wondering how easy it would be, using a tool that someone actually has, to cut off the edge or file it off? Another issue is that I'm not sure I'd be able to get the kick starter off again. I probably should have put some grease on the threads, but I didn't think of that.
~Jennifer

Mikeh

Re: Lambretta kick start lever

Postby Mikeh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 pm

A die grinder or dremel would probably do the trick. someone in DC must have one that you can borrow. If not you are always welcome to ride up to Ellicott City and fix it.. but then again I guess if the kickstart is partially in the down position then you can't ride it like that, or even run the motor like that without wearing the internal parts out.

I could bring it a grinder down to DC/Bread Soda on Tuesday night if you need me to.. but I would be getting there a little late since I have another event that ends in Balto at 7:00pm. I wasn't planning on being at breadsoda but I could pop in I guess. Let me know

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 pm

If it really is overlapping by only a 1/16th or so, a well aimed tap on the tailpipe might move it just enough to clear the k/s.
If that doesn't work, get grindy as Mike says. I would add that when you remove and re-install the k/s, take a large flatblade screwdriver and tap it into the split in the kickstart(right where the teeth are). Ths will open the teeth a little, making it easier to install the kickstart. The problem with wailing on the k/s with a mallet to install it is that you may pop the circlip off that lives under the kickstart(outside of sidecase). If that happens, you will then probably have to remove the sidecase and push the k/s shaft back out to re-fit the circlip. That circlip has to be there to stop the k/s shaft from fouling on the top clutch plate.

Good luck Andi
That's not going anywhere

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:08 pm

dirtyhandslopez wrote: The problem with wailing on the k/s with a mallet to install it is that you may pop the circlip off that lives under the kickstart(outside of sidecase). If that happens, you will then probably have to remove the sidecase and push the k/s shaft back out to re-fit the circlip. That circlip has to be there to stop the k/s shaft from fouling on the top clutch plate.i

Oh Lord, hope that didn't happen…I will try tapping the tail pipe. Thanks so much!
~Jennifer

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:24 pm

You are more than welcome.

Btw, sorry for calling you Andi :oops:
That's not going anywhere

Return to “Service Center”