cruciform advice

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
normratscoots

cruciform advice

Postby normratscoots » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:25 pm

I've been putting of a cruciform replacement for way to long and am trying to coax myself to finally do it. I have the cruciform, found enough how-to links to explain it, but still want some further advice on one topic: what spares should I have on hand or does it just make sense to replace naturally as part of the process?
To say it differently in two questions: What engine parts is it absolutely stupid to begin this job without because they are cheap and you make your way to them anyway if you reach the cruciform? -- and (perhaps a more subjective question) -- What else is worth replacing when doing the job because you've got the engine halfway apart anyway? To the latter, I welcome a range of opinions here, perhaps from the three ways of approaching the job (engine out, engine detached from shock and engine in).
Oh, one other thing, I realize that I'm gonna need a flywheel puller. Do you really need a flywheel holder, or is that just something that keeps your knuckles from bleeding?
-- Ryan

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:43 pm

When were your seals last replaced? There's really nothing else to replace in there if it's just a worn crucifom as long as your bearings are good.

And yes, you need a flywheel holder. Seriously. If you have an air impact wrench you -might- be able to coax it off without one...nah, scratch that. You need a flywheel holder.
byelaya smert

shane

Re: cruciform advice

Postby shane » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Ryan,

This can quickly turn into a whole rebuild. It really depends on what you find once you get in there. How much do you know about the history of the motor?

If the seals have not been done recently (since you've owned it), I would do those just as a matter of reliability. Check the bearings you can get at while you are in there... mainly the flywheel side stuff as that is pretty much the only easily accessible bearing with the fly side case half off...

You can get by without a flywheel holder if you have a piston stop...

At the minimum I would pick up a gasket set, a seal set (just in case), the cruciform and a case of beer.

The case of beer is to drink after you realize the bearings are shot and you've broken something you need to wait on for three weeks while a shop sends you the wrong part.

I'd do this with someone who has rebuilt a motor the first time. I've learned TONS and TONS from watching other people or having other people help. You should organize a garage night with a few other people... If I had a bench set up, I'd invite you over. That's going to be a few months though...

Let me know if you need a flywheel puller or a stop. I've got both.

-Shane

normratscoots wrote:I've been putting of a cruciform replacement for way to long and am trying to coax myself to finally do it. I have the cruciform, found enough how-to links to explain it, but still want some further advice on one topic: what spares should I have on hand or does it just make sense to replace naturally as part of the process?
To say it differently in two questions: What engine parts is it absolutely stupid to begin this job without because they are cheap and you make your way to them anyway if you reach the cruciform? -- and (perhaps a more subjective question) -- What else is worth replacing when doing the job because you've got the engine halfway apart anyway? To the latter, I welcome a range of opinions here, perhaps from the three ways of approaching the job (engine out, engine detached from shock and engine in).
Oh, one other thing, I realize that I'm gonna need a flywheel puller. Do you really need a flywheel holder, or is that just something that keeps your knuckles from bleeding?
-- Ryan

Return to “Service Center”