Top end question

Need help? Want to help? Discuss technical issues and share tips.
Spiny Norman

Top end question

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:31 am

Do I need to drop the engine to put a new top end on a largeframe? Its looking like at least a partial drop because the cylinder is just hitting the frame as I pull it off the pins.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:33 am

Yes. Just unbolt the rear shock and let the engine swing down that way. Easy Peasy.
byelaya smert

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:33 am

AirborneVespa wrote:Yes. Just unbolt the rear shock and let the engine swing down that way. Easy Peasy.

Cool. It was either that, or someone awhile back recommended to back the pins/studs out of the case, don't drop the engine at all, then removing the top end. I like the partial drop idea better because it seems like without the pins there as guides, you increase the chance of bending the conrod or something.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Cool. It was either that, or someone awhile back recommended to back the pins/studs out of the case, don't drop the engine at all, then removing the top end. I like the partial drop idea better because it seems like without the pins there as guides, you increase the chance of bending the conrod or something.

I don't like going the studs route. You have to double nut them to get them out and sometimes they can be a pain in the ass, depending on how stuck they are. Studs out allows you to twist the barrel a bit when working it over the piston, but you shouldn't have to do that anyway.

Plus removing one bolt or removing four studs?
byelaya smert

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm sold.

Return to “Service Center”