Facebook

A little of this, and a lot of that...
AirborneVespa

Facebook

Postby AirborneVespa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:47 pm

has killed WMASA, ScootRally, Scoot.net and anything else cool.
byelaya smert

imjuanpablo

Re: Facebook

Postby imjuanpablo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Agreed.
John F.

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 pm

imjuanpablo wrote:Agreed.

The biggest suck is scoot.net photo gallery. Now you have to be "friends" with every single person who went to a rally to see their photos, rather than simply have them all in one place, documented.

Lazy sots.
byelaya smert

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 pm

AirborneVespa wrote:
imjuanpablo wrote:Agreed.

The biggest suck is scoot.net photo gallery. Now you have to be "friends" with every single person who went to a rally to see their photos, rather than simply have them all in one place, documented.

Lazy sots.

Yes, I would have to say that is one of the worst things........
John F.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Spiny Norman "likes" this thread.
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Video killed the radio star. Dunno. Nobody on facebook told me I needed to go "balls deep" to get my engine mounts out. I think FB does skim some of the "culture" off other internet avenues for scooters though, leaving scooter websites to be nothing but tech questions and mind-vomit scooter drama threads. So, I guess everything is status quo... just less pictures, fun, cute girls and party announcements? Sounds grim.

We need some DC scooter specific dramatic, love triangle-fake persona-criminal behavior type of scenario up in this joint. Somebody go off their meds for a week and promise to only post to wmasa.
I break scooter parts

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:26 pm

I wouldn't start playing taps just yet. Posts always go down in December here. Far as I'm concerned, Scoot.net was responsible for its own demise.

Updates got less frequent, and the last time I attempted to post photos (25 at a time, for a total of like 200 photos) from the Detroit rally they never went up on the site. Some glitch and they never fixed it, nor responded to any emails. Tim from Detroit/Cleveland had the same issue. I contacted, but they didn't bother to put up a picture page for NSP.

I wrote to them in late august (maybe September, dates get blurry for me) and let them know my stolen scooter had been found, it was still listed as "stolen" last time I checked.

For me those were signs they didn't want to go through the motions anymore. Wasn't part of Scoot.net's problem that it was only 1 guy? He maybe just got tired of it.

That said, I concur. Facebook is evil and stupid. And I can't stop myself from going on it every 20 damned minutes

12CI

Postby 12CI » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:39 pm

FWIW, i've never joined FB and never will.

so, in effect, its the one place you can be safe from folks like me....
as shameless as I am tactless and guileless

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:11 pm

epsato wrote:Updates got less frequent, and the last time I attempted to post photos (25 at a time, for a total of like 200 photos) from the Detroit rally they never went up on the site. Some glitch and they never fixed it, nor responded to any emails. Tim from Detroit/Cleveland had the same issue. I contacted, but they didn't bother to put up a picture page for NSP.

Possibly he saw the writing on the wall with regards to Facebook and figured why put time and effort into it? 90% of the photos never get uploaded anyway.

Guarantee if 20 people from each rally were uploading photos like in the old days it would be up and running.

Instead people stopped uploading there since they already spent time uploading to fagbook. Only thing is unless you're friends with every person at a rally on queerpages then you miss most of the photos, and I have no inclination to have "friends" on there I only saw once at a scooter rally.

Facebook is for two things:

Looking at photos from rallies and making fun of people, both of which I used to be able to do on scooter boards but now have to on facebook.

I never got the "befriend my Mom and co-workers and then tell everyone they have to watch what they say because Gramma will have a heart attack when she reads the word cunt"
byelaya smert

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:29 pm

AirborneVespa wrote:
epsato wrote:Updates got less frequent, and the last time I attempted to post photos (25 at a time, for a total of like 200 photos) from the Detroit rally they never went up on the site. Some glitch and they never fixed it, nor responded to any emails. Tim from Detroit/Cleveland had the same issue. I contacted, but they didn't bother to put up a picture page for NSP.

Possibly he saw the writing on the wall with regards to Facebook and figured why put time and effort into it? 90% of the photos never get uploaded anyway.

Guarantee if 20 people from each rally were uploading photos like in the old days it would be up and running.

Disagree: based on what I've heard from talking with folks (and my own experience), the scoot.net guy has been erratically unresponsive to requests and troubleshooting for years. I emailed the guy for weeks to try to get him to change something incorrect on a Scootergate calendar posting: nothing. Same with trying to get a page up for scootergate pix. Scoot.net killed itself.

But I don't miss don't waste too much time lamenting poorly-designed social sites. For example, I haven't missed yahoo groups for one minute in the last 6 years. I gave up on big scooterboards after the BBS became increasingly belligerent and buggy, then revamped into unusability. Had no interest in moving over to scootrally (sorry Stefan).

Has Facebook sucked away some of the nonsense that used to get posted? Undeniably. I like WMASA because I interact with you people personally. If they hadn't blocked it at work, I'd waste more time making noise here.
mille posti

Susan

Postby Susan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

fredneckscoots wrote:We need some DC scooter specific dramatic, love triangle-fake persona-criminal behavior type of scenario up in this joint.

Been there, done that. Contrary to what one might think, the drama was definitely not any fun. Maybe I just got old, but I was really loving the post-drama heyday of the DC scootering social scene. Lots of riding, lots of social, lots of WMASA ridiculousness. I know shit changes, things get fractured and re-formed. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Harumpf.

epsato wrote:That said, I concur. Facebook is evil and stupid. And I can't stop myself from going on it every 20 damned minutes

I resemble that remark. I hate the fact that it exists, I hate the fact that I felt pressured to be on there after holding out for a while. But since it exists and I felt like I was in a social vacuum not being involved, there I am. Sucks up way too much of my time and I detest that.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 am

When I was a boy we didn't have no internet.
I break scooter parts

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 am

FWIW, the local BBSes seem to rise and fall based on the amount of unity/ activity among the local scooterists. For example, the Rovers BBS is crazy active, as is the Usual Suspects/I scoot NY board.

I think with us here it ebbs and flows. Summertime it seems there's a new post every few minutes, wintertime we all go into hibernation.

Things have been relatively drama free lately, kudos to everyone here for that!

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 pm

epsato wrote:

Things have been relatively drama free lately, kudos to everyone here for that!

That's because I finally embraced the fact that I love penis and so I haven't been as wound up and agitated of late.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm

I really just miss the photo gallery on scoot.net

I still think people started not uploading there because they were loading on FB long before Scoot.net shit the bed.
byelaya smert

Return to “Time-Wasters”