craft hacks

A little of this, and a lot of that...
porter

craft hacks

Postby porter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 pm

A lot of what I do falls under the hacking category.
Whether its adjusting things that don't work well to better suit my needs, or fixing them when broken, or just inventing new things, I appreciate a good hack when I see one.

Yesterday, I fixed a ukelele bridge piece with a dowel, it now plays again.
I made a coffee bean cooling box (for post roasting) out of a styrofoam cooler, some screen, a funnel and a shop vac.
I also sliced my son's bicyle with a hacksaw, in hopes of recycling the fork by marrying it up to a wooden push bike frame I made years ago.

I'd like to see some of the invented hacks people have, just post up what you have fabbed up and why.

I have seen this stuff recently-
http://sugru.com/us/about
There's some pretty good hacks on there, all with the same material.
It seems to me that with the vibration issues of the scooters we ride, that this substance could come in handy use. Its like modern day duct tape.
I could see this stuff for: EGT mounting, cable routing, air leakage filling, mirror mounting, grips, turn signal repair, more.

I also saw this glow in the dark stuff - could be a night safety enhancer-
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... mer+Ribbon
Might have to wait for the price to come down a bit on that stuff, but it has potential.

anyways - I hope that 2012 is the year of inventing my own stuff, or finally getting around to trying out the ideas that I have stacked up.

p

normratscoots

Re: craft hacks

Postby normratscoots » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 pm

In high school, I couldn't afford a suspension mountain bike, so I built this out of an old cheapo BMX and the front end of an abandoned CB 125 found out in the woods. The headset is shimmed to the triple tree with a piece of led pipe (the rest of which was used to make a mortar for firing off a mix of my dad's black powder and model rocket engines). The pic is recent; back in the day, it had such comforts as a seat, chain and rear tube that held air. Great for just bashing down hills.

Argh! Can't seem to carry over the complete photo from FB, but you get the point.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Return to “Time-Wasters”