A little of this, and a lot of that...
Serendipity

Like Mom always says, "its all about moderation"

Postby Serendipity » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 pm

~Jennifer

epsato

Re: Like Mom always says, "its all about moderation"

Postby epsato » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:30 pm

This is actually the second study done of this type. The first one, conducted with "daily" pot smokers in their 60s who'd been smoking for 40 years, found that daily use of marijuana is no more harmful on the lungs than tobacco.

HOWEVER, daily use of tobacco for 40 years will cause serious health problems, and mixing the two is REALLY BAD (a warning to all fans of "blunts").

I read about the study in the Washington Post, but the link to the article was closed literally less than two days after it had been put up.

What's fascinating to me about all this is that due to Marijuana's schedule class (it's looped in with heroin), no studies can be made to see if there are any potential benefits. Studies can only be done if the intent of the study is to discover the harm it can do to the body.

Alas, two studies later, they keep finding that weed's not bad for your lungs. The brain's a different story, but the lungs are alright.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:29 pm

I suppose it could be good for the brain if only used occasionally. Though I knew a guy who was extremely bright, worked for NASA, but a daily smoker. On the weekends he'd be smoking several times a day. But he just seemed normal, not stoned at all. Every now and then he'd test positively at work and have to go off of it for a month. Then we could see that being stoned was actually helping him, as when he was not stoned, he was almost manically energetic and anxious. However, I haven't seen him in 10 years, so I'm not sure how it played out. He may be like the Big Lebowski these days.
~Jennifer

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:31 pm

For the brain, it's like any drug: bad news.

They've found stoners get the reaction time and synapses back if they quit long enough, but long term use does affect memory, cognitive ability, etc.

It's also a big cause of "the munchies", which helps to explain why so many stoners could stand to lose a few pounds LOL

Return to “Time-Wasters”