cider lovers

A little of this, and a lot of that...
Serendipity

cider lovers

Postby Serendipity » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

I saw this new cider, Jack's hard cider from PA, right outside of Gettysburg, which I didn't know about, but spotted a 6 pack of cans at the whole foods. It was the last one left, so I grabbed it. It is very good - not woodchuck sweet, and not strongbow bland. It says it only has 100 calories per can (though not sure I believe that as it has much flavor). Has anyone tried this? The market for microbrewed cider is so thin, I have my hopes up.

http://jackshardcider.com/
~Jennifer

dirtyhandslopez

Re: cider lovers

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for that. Have not seen that one but will scoop up a pack when I do. Have you tried the woodchuck Granny Smith? Nice and not near as sweet as the amber.
If you are an international cider drinker, search around and see if you can find James White cider, from Levenham, Suffolk, UK., a cider so dry and bubble free you'd swear you where drinking a apple flavored white wine. Delicious...
That's not going anywhere

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

When I was in England it was Blackthorn and Strongbow which are still tops in my book.
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am

Sorry to tease, but called up James White in the UK and apparently they stopped making cider "many years ago", now it's all organic fruit jucies-blah huey :(
Blackthorn is a goody :)

Susan

Postby Susan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 am

Blackthorn was my favorite, although I also liked K. Or maybe I just thought that the bottle was cool.

it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

dirtyhandslopez

Postby dirtyhandslopez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Susan wrote:Blackthorn was my favorite, although I also liked K. Or maybe I just thought that the bottle was cool.

"was" and "also"? Sounds like a good cider session is in order...I'll even buy if'n it'll get you back in your groove.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 pm

dirtyhandslopez wrote:"was" and "also"? Sounds like a good cider session is in order...I'll even buy if'n it'll get you back in your groove.

Can you buy it here? I know that they just started to sell Blackthorn, but I've never seen this K in a bottle.

I may go pick up a case/mini keg of Jack's in Gettysburg for the NSP rally. They are open to the public.
~Jennifer

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I have not seen Blackthorn in the DC area, but if anybody has, can you please tell it I am looking for it?
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

Susan

Postby Susan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

dirtyhandslopez wrote:"was" and "also"? Sounds like a good cider session is in order...I'll even buy if'n it'll get you back in your groove.

Past tense only because it was while I was living in England (a really long time ago now) that I consumed cider regularly.

It's not that I won't drink it now, it's just not a regular occurrence. And there's way more crap cider here. Although there is a delightful brand (that of course I can't remember) that they sell at the Yes! near me.
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Martin, I've seen Blackthorn (in cans) in the liquor store near the TP Metro, across from the BP. I grab it up whenever I can, they'd probably stock it regularly if more of us were asking. :)

Also, can I say how irritating it is that MoCo doesn't allow alcohol sales in grocery stores? I WANT AWESOME CIDER IN MY WHOLE FOODS, DAMMIT!!!
mille posti

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 pm

spoffy wrote:Martin, I've seen Blackthorn (in cans) in the liquor store near the TP Metro, across from the BP. I grab it up whenever I can, they'd probably stock it regularly if more of us were asking. :)

Also, can I say how irritating it is that MoCo doesn't allow alcohol sales in grocery stores? I WANT AWESOME CIDER IN MY WHOLE FOODS, DAMMIT!!!

MoCo allows alcohol sales in four grandfathered stores. That are not near you.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm

spoffy wrote:Martin, I've seen Blackthorn (in cans) in the liquor store near the TP Metro, across from the BP. I grab it up whenever I can, they'd probably stock it regularly if more of us were asking. :)

Cool biz - I will add to the demand in hopes of increasing the supply.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 am

They have Blackthorn at whole foods on P street, DC and divinos in columbia heights. I've seen it around and will keep a look out for other places. I've only seen it in 4 pack tallboy cans. It is definitely a bit heavier than some of other brands and good for winter drinking.
~Jennifer

RichA

Postby RichA » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 pm

I swear I've had "K" that I bought in the DC area. Possibly World Market?

epsato

Postby epsato » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:01 pm

If Jack's is in Gettysburg, any chance they can be tapped to sponsor NSP? An ice bucket full of cider sounds kind of appealing...

Return to “Time-Wasters”