Boredom...

A little of this, and a lot of that...
Zeets

Boredom...

Postby Zeets » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

Come on people...

My job is about as tedious as they get... and FB use is highly frowned upon. This site is one of my few daily outlets that no one here seems to mind. But alas, no one is posting. Hell I'll take another 10 page diatribe on the benefits of coffee roasting and espresso machines. I'll even read more about horrendous hard ciders-- ANYTHING!

Where's Fredneck been, he always has fun little brown nuggets of fact he likes to post, hell I'll even read Serendipity's posts.(J/K... you know I love ya!)
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

hurleybt

Re: Boredom...

Postby hurleybt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Google Reader over HTTPS

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 pm

For your entertainment, and because you'd know, I'll ask you some things that I could research elsewhere.

I have a 1994 Trek 930 Singletrack and I'd like to throw a suspension fork on it. Being an 18-year-old bike, it has a threaded headset. Do you think it would be easier to find a fork to fit with the correct steerer tube length, or should I go find a shop that will press in a threadless headset? And, being a Clydesdale, as the lingo goes, what should I look for in fork tech, if I'm looking for moderate travel to smooth out small logs, curbs and whatnot.

I have not kept up with bicycle technology.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

normratscoots wrote:For your entertainment, and because you'd know, I'll ask you some things that I could research elsewhere.

I have a 1994 Trek 930 Singletrack and I'd like to throw a suspension fork on it. Being an 18-year-old bike, it has a threaded headset. Do you think it would be easier to find a fork to fit with the correct steerer tube length, or should I go find a shop that will press in a threadless headset? And, being a Clydesdale, as the lingo goes, what should I look for in fork tech, if I'm looking for moderate travel to smooth out small logs, curbs and whatnot.

I have not kept up with bicycle technology.

It's your lucky day, I think I may have a fork for you... I have an older Manitou fork that is in really good condition that is one of titanium spring forks they made in the late-nineties. In its day, it was like a $600 fork, it has adjustable spring pre-load and dampening. It's 1-1/8" steerer, canti/v-brake compatible and I believe 80mm travel. Going longer than that will throw your geometry way out of wack. I actually tried to give it away here on the forum some time ago and no one bit. I'll have to double check, but I think its with my stuff at my dad's house. The fork would be free.

So there are some factors to consider:

Steerertube length. (measure the steerertube between the bearing cups)
Steerertube diameter.

The fork was on a mid-nineties Scott that was a 16" or 17" frame. If your Trek is a medium it *should* work.

You'll have a real tough time finding a fork of any quality that is threaded. By time suspension was being phased in, it was mostly on upper end stuff. Since Aheadset made its appearance first in the early-nineties, almost everything you could buy was threadless. There are some really low-end units that can be had now that are threaded, but then you have to make sure that you have enough threads to properly mount it. An inexpensive threadless headset can be had for less than $30, and I have a stem or two I can give you with the fork. As a matter of fact, I may have a used headset too. Getting the old one out is as easy as using a long drift and a hammer and just tapping around the lip inside the steerertube and walking it out. I use a homemade press consisting of a 12" piece of 1/2" all-thread and a stack of 1/2 fender washers to install. (A little grease on the cups will usually ease installation too.) Or a hunk of 2x4 and a 32oz hammer.

Let me know if you want me to check on that fork for you... I also have a really, really nice Fox F32/R100 fork at home currently. It's 26" wheel, but set up for disc only. I have a disc front wheel too. I'd be willing to part with that stuff but not for free, I want $200 for the fork and $100 for the wheel. (no brakes, although I have a set of mechanical pull calipers I'd be willing to give away.)

Anyway, thanks... now I'm only 45min away from getting the heck outta here... Score.
Zayretow

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 am

Ha! Cool, I'm game to try to fit the Manitou. The steerer tube length is 3, 5/8". The diameter, eyeballing it, looks 1,1/8". Can't remember the exact frame size and its not stamped, but I'd guess it to be a 16, knowing my dimensions.

I actually have a stem for a threadless headset on the bike now, using a conversion post. I needed it to fit Swobo Folsom bars and couldn't -- in looking around the local bike shop's pile of swapped out stems -- find a quill stem where you could remove the front piece.

The bike has had many iterations over the years, an is currently trending toward something like 26" bmx cruiser for beating around the neighborhood and tamer local trails.

Thanks!
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 pm

I have my dad checking on the fork at his place. I have a picture of when I measured the steerer when I had the fork on Craigslist and its 20.5 cm which is ~8" so its plenty long enough. The headset I have is pretty trashed, its useable, but I'm not sure how good it'll be. Nashbar usually has really good deals on that stuff, you can likely get one for $30 or less.
Zayretow

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Zayretow

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's a question for you: What is the P Series of bicycles? I'm absolutely not looking to get into another hobby - I've got too many as it is. I don't want to read bicycling magazines and I don't want to dress up like in in a race when I'm not. I just want an affordable good, quick, light, low-maintenance bike.
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:27 pm

That question is too open-ended. It really depends on your needs and riding style. I have two bicycles right now. I have my mountain bike, which is a 2011 Trek/Fischer Paragon and I ride that bike nearly solely off road. My road bike is my commuter, its an old steel Miele from the 90's that I set up with a rack and I bang around on.
There are a lot of options. There are a series of bikes called fitness bikes that are basically flat bar road bikes. Usually they allow a slightly wider 700c tire and are fairly light. Trek makes the FX series and Specialized has their sirrus. Below that there are a ton of commuters that come with racks and fenders and tend to have internal gear hubs with limited ranges and a chubbier tire. If you're purely looking to get around town, I'd suggest more of the commuter style. If you're hoping to ride long distance at speed, and train on top of commuting (or distance commute), I'd go more towards the fitness bike.

Personally, if you're intersted in buying a new bike, I'd hit up two or three big shops and try a handfull of bikes in a few different categories at each shop. Also, plan on spending at least $1000. Or a bike of that value originally. You really do get what you pay for.
Zayretow

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 am

Zeets, you need your own website called, "Old gaytards that talk about anything except scooters"... just a thought. :)
I break scooter parts

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 am

fredneckscoots wrote:Zeets, you need your own website called, "Old gaytards that talk about anything except scooters"... just a thought. :)

Hey you geezer, I posted in "Time Wasters." Why don't you go push another rotted Lambretta out of a barn somewhere and leave the conversing to the gaytards.
Zayretow

stefan

Postby stefan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Here's a question for you: What is the P Series of bicycles? I'm absolutely not looking to get into another hobby - I've got too many as it is. I don't want to read bicycling magazines and I don't want to dress up like in in a race when I'm not. I just want an affordable good, quick, light, low-maintenance bike.

i've got one of these, and love it.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 12099.html

bought it from the local co-op, and have had it for about 5-6 years now. i would consider it a "workhorse" in terms of durability and design. great city bike that you can take through parks/paths & whatnot, but you won't be taking it off any sweet jumps. not the lightest thing in the world, but it feels "familiar" after working on/having scooters.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Hmm..thanks both for the info. Definitely looking for a road bike at some point.
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

Return to “Time-Wasters”