Advice on living in DC?

A little of this, and a lot of that...
stromthurmond

Re: Advice on living in DC?

Postby stromthurmond » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Ok, well am I ever embarrassed. I've found a place in Hyattsville, so I'm not coming up there on Thursday. The problem is I already sold the cat for food in anticipation of moving to Hampden. Live and learn, I guess.
At any rate, I look forward to meeting you all in person after I start my job on the 10th.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Congratulations! NO problem on the cat..I can hook you up with about a dozen strays from my neighborhood.
~Jennifer

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 pm

normratscoots will be just north of you

In Hyattsville:
http://www.elevationburger.com/
http://www.franklinsbrewery.com/

In College Park/Beltsville
http://www.hardtimes.com/

You also have an IKEA, should you need it.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 am

Good choice. Welcome to the area.

Some other local amenities worth a mention: Hyattsville (or actually Edmonston, but it is in the area) has a kick ass taco shop that literally is someone's living room at 49th and Decatur; the Riverdale farmer's market on Thursday afternoon in the parking lot near the Riverdale MARC is decent as local farmers markets go; right across the street from there is a kind of crappy new market that redeems itself with a better wine and beer selection; and finally Community Forklift is this city's best bet for recaptured construction materials as well as used and often vintage furnishings.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Let us know when you get here!
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

12CI

Postby 12CI » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 pm

you should never sell a cat for food; thats always a loss. its better to just eat the cat yourself.

welcome.

September 10th will put you here right in time for Taco Tuesday

so, there is Hyattsville, the incorporated city with several interesting neighbourhoods (including an historic area), and then there is Hyattsville, the term used by the post office and the media to refer to vast vague swaths of the county, usually with higher than average crime.

so, care to narrow it down a little? just the nearest major intersection or landmark...nothing too specific, just enough to feed the gossip mill.
as shameless as I am tactless and guileless

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm

12CI wrote:so, there is Hyattsville, the incorporated city with several interesting neighbourhoods (including an historic area), and then there is Hyattsville, the term used by the post office and the media to refer to vast vague swaths of the county, usually with higher than average crime.

so, care to narrow it down a little? just the nearest major intersection or landmark...nothing too specific, just enough to feed the gossip mill.

Right, hopefully near the Marc station, and not the metro station. That would make more sense for commuting to Union station.
~Jennifer

12CI

Postby 12CI » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:28 am

Serendipity wrote:Right, hopefully near the Marc station, and not the metro station. That would make more sense for commuting to Union station.

i dunno about that...metro runs a great number of trains, 7 days a week (including holidays), and well into the wee hours. marc does not offer nearly nearly as many options.

so, green line (west hy or pg plaza) to ft totten, switch to red line to union station. or the bus down US1 to rhode island ave station (tho,admittedly, i hated that bus, which is why i bought my vespa).

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am

12CI wrote:so, green line (west hy or pg plaza) to ft totten, switch to red line to union station. or the bus down US1 to rhode island ave station (tho,admittedly, i hated that bus, which is why i bought my vespa).

I meant that it seems a lot sketchier over by the metro than over by the Marc in terms of neighborhoods, and for regular same time every day commuting, it might be faster to take Marc than switching trains. I just looked at the schedule for another reason, and that Marc train from Riverdale to Union station takes less than 10 minutes. Can't beat that.
~Jennifer

stromthurmond

Postby stromthurmond » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Change of plans. I am going to be living in Takoma Park.

I will soon be driving a Uhaul full of all of my crap (along with my car on a trailer) to Takoma Park from Saint Petersburg, FL. What is the best route to take when I get close to the DC area? I would really like to avoid the terrifying traffic that the area is known for, especially in the Uhaul.

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

WOOOHOOO, howdy new neighbor!!

Takoma Park is lovely, full of big trees, old houses, and crazy hippies (NUCLEAR FREE ZONE! TREE CITY! FREERANGE HUG ZONES!). You'll love it.

My $.02, don't try to shortcut through downtown DC: time your arrival so you can catch the beltway at off-rush-hour.

Others may have differing opinions, but I recommend: 95 North to Beltway East (avoiding Tysons Corner/American Legion Bridge). There are all kinds of shortcuts from the Beltway into TP, but it kinda depends on where you're living.
mille posti

12CI

Postby 12CI » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 am

100% agree with following 95/495 east (beltway outer loop [yes, that beltway]) around town, to either MD650 or maybe US29 (as Spoffy said, depending on where exactly you'll be).

the closer you get to DC the more important your timing becomes. 95 north is often very congested from as far away as fredericksburg. if you get stuck near there, bail out onto US301 and follow it all the way into maryland. you then have a choice of taking MD5 or US50 back to 95/495. there are multiple places between richmond and fredericksburg where you can pickup 301. yes, its an old, slow road, but its also considerably less stressful than 95 (think gentle rolling hills and farmland...with the occasional tank as you transit AP Hill...)

and, just to keep us on topic, a swath of takoma park was, not too long ago, part of PG county....

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 am

Cool biz! I'm close as well.
"In this grave hour fuck fuck fuck perhaps the most fateful in our history bugger shit shit."

http://pocketofsilence.blogspot.com/

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 am

If I were you, I'd plan to be in the area right around rush hour, then try to navigate into DC and out through the northern suburbs. That way, not only do you get to see all the monuments from the front seat of your shiny U-haul truck, while towing a trailer, but you also can experience the worst traffic your first day. Sort of a "baptism by fire."
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Return to “Time-Wasters”