Advice on living in DC?

A little of this, and a lot of that...
spoffy

Re: Advice on living in DC?

Postby spoffy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 am

Happily, working near the Capitol opens up a lot of locations: nearly every metro line has a station in walking distance to work.

Not sure how much trouble the cat will be: if you can get "pet references" from your previous landlord (assuming you have a good/nondestructive cat), you may be able to talk folks around. I'd imagine the nonallergic landlord-types are more worried about "bad" cats tearing up/peeing all over the place.
mille posti

fredneckscoots

Postby fredneckscoots » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 pm

I think it breaks down like this...

In DC you maybe can't have a cat, but if you did have a cat you would defintiely see it more than if you lived in Frederick. On the other hand, if you lived in Frederick, you could definitley have 2 cats or more (plus open fires in your backyard!), and those cats would supposedly have a better quality of life (i.e. lower rents and no thugs breakin in and selling them for furs). I think thats how it breaks down.

Plus, you could hang out with me in Frederick... but I hate cats.
I break scooter parts

stromthurmond

Postby stromthurmond » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 am

Thanks. That sums it up pretty well. If I meet you in Frederick, I will be sure to leave the cat at home. Do you commute to DC everyday?

Let me try a different approach. Does anyone know of an apartment finder service that they would recommend?

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't know about apartment finder services, but I do know a hyper-useful way to get in the door on Craigslist ...

once you know what you want and figure out your search terms (say "H street" in the rooms & shares section, with the "cats" box checked and a $1000 rent ceiling), click search and then click the "RSS" button on the bottom right. Save the link to the page this presents you (ex: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sear ... format=rss) and then use this website: http://reblinks.therssweblog.com/ to have an e-mail sent to your inbox any time anybody posts a craigslist posting that meets your terms.

I helped start a renters' takeover of Marina City in Chicago using this strategy, where anybody posting an available apartment in the building would have an "I'm interested! me! me! me!" response sent back to them just seconds after they posted the ad.
---
1980 P200E: imprimitura antiruggine

stromthurmond

Postby stromthurmond » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks. I will definitely start trying that approach on Craigslist.

What do people think of Baltimore, specifically the Bolton Hill neighborhood that is near Penn Station?
The commute isn't terrible, there are lots of trains to choose from, the buildings are quaint, and rents are reasonable.
Is there a downside? Someone mentioned they thought the taxes would be worse, but they didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about it.

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 am

There are a bunch of scooter people/ people that work in the arts community/ people who go to DJ nights in the neighboring hoods of Hampden and Charles Village. They equally seem to enjoy the charms offered in that part of the city and complain about how crazy it is with cracked-out wackiness (attempted and sometimes successful scooter theft, finding hooker-disposed condoms in your flowers). Quite a few of these folks have accounts on this board, but don't visit much. Can't speak for the train other than to say its there and people use it. That particular neighborhood seems nice enough, from my limited experience visiting MICA now and again. More wily West Baltimore -- as portrayed by the Wire -- starts not too many blocks away though.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Susan

Postby Susan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 am

Look at Old Greenbelt.

It's a legitimately easy commute (they have a metro station on the green line). Nice community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt,_Maryland

Greenbelt Jen? 12ci?? Who can talk up Greenbelt?
it's a fez
I wear a fez now
fezzes are cool

hurleybt

Postby hurleybt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

If you are working in DC, live in DC or any of the neighboring suburbs but to the south east. Be near a metro line. Don't go further out than the metro and being able to walk to the metro is a big deal. Parking at the metro usually isn't free and taking the bus to the metro will also eat up time. Taking the train in from Baltimore, Frederick or Fredericksburg is probably a lot different than it is in Northern California or NYC area, as in, it isn't as awesome, but I honestly don't know. What I do know is that i have had long commutes for years and it can get old really quick. I currently only have a 13 mile commute that can often take 45 minutes in traffic, down from a 43 mile commute that would take 45 minutes in the middle of the night but 75+ during normal times. Coming from outside the metro range is going to take 2+ hours out of your day every day, that you could be having fun or doing something for yourself. Even if you can read on the train, you can't do it with your kitty on your lap, in your boxers, smoking and drinking, or some combination of those.

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Also another factor is whether you have any flexibility with your hours as it generally takes me twice as long of a commute to be on time as it does to be a little late.

If you have a car and can drive to work, you may want to ditch the whole metro idea. Parts of DC - generally those not close to a metro, are much more affordable. As a knee jerk, I think its important to be near metro, yet I live a 5 minute walk to the col hts. metro and only take it a few times a month. If I'm not walking or scootering, usually I take the bus. The buses can be really annoying and slow though. I often take cabs to go out at night. More terrifying, due to the psychotic drivers, is commuting by bike, though if you're in shape its a snap to get around. My bike was stolen on Connecticut avenue (good part of town) when I left it locked with 2 locks over night. Another DC problem.
~Jennifer

stromthurmond

Postby stromthurmond » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:07 am

I can't thank you enough for your help. I would be lost without you all.
One of the requirements of my new job is to show up one Saturday per month.
If I live on the Marc line, say in Baltimore, you see the problem – the Marc train doesn't run on Saturday.
So, how stupid is it to try to commute by car one Saturday a month and park at Union Station? Is the traffic just as crazy on a Saturday?

I should be coming up there this Thursday because I'm getting down to the wire.

stromthurmond

Postby stromthurmond » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 am

Nevermind. I answered my own question. I see that you can park at some of the outlying Metro stations and take that into the city when the Marc trains aren't running.

Whatever happened to Airborne? I remember Airborne and DC Rob from the Scooterbbs.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:51 pm

stromthurmond wrote:Nevermind. I answered my own question. I see that you can park at some of the outlying Metro stations and take that into the city when the Marc trains aren't running.

Whatever happened to Airborne? I remember Airborne and DC Rob from the Scooterbbs.

You should have no issues driving into DC on weekends......except if there is some kind of event going on.......or stick to your metro station idea.

Airborne is in CA now, believe it or not.......took a job there.....DC Rob is in Atlanta GA, last I heard.....he left awhile ago.......
John F.

imjuanpablo

Postby imjuanpablo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:52 pm

stromthurmond wrote:
I should be coming up there this Thursday because I'm getting down to the wire.

Well, some of us should be able to meet up with you..........
John F.

Mikeh

Postby Mikeh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Live in baltimore and take the Marc Train in to work.

Or better yet get a job in Baltimore.

If you get rid of your cat then I'd be more than happy to rent you a two bedroom in Hampden for $1000/month.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am

Mikeh wrote:If you get rid of your cat then I'd be more than happy to rent you a two bedroom in Hampden for $1000/month.

So you know, Hampden, is downtown Baltimore, well situated for a MARC ride in the morning...

It's also only about a 15 min drive to the Korean market, which is on the near west side of Baltimore. That's convenient because you can drop your cat off on your way to you new place.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Return to “Time-Wasters”