Insurance and Other.

A little of this, and a lot of that...
Zeets

Insurance and Other.

Postby Zeets » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:13 pm

So at Charm City Mods Rockers this weekend (Big congratulations to pin up/ mod lady Andria, making us proud!) The guy from Rider Insurance gave me a quote for insurance. It is $174.00 per year for my DRZ it is full coverage, with roadside assistance, $100k limits, accessory coverage and $500 deductable . I'm currently paying around $330 a year with Allstate with similar coverage. That seems reasonable, but this is a huge difference.

Do any of you have any experience with Rider? It's my understanding they've only been in Maryland for two years.

On a side note... My coworker wrecked his new Versyes this weekend. He's a new rider that got his license through the MSF last year and just recently started riding. Anyway. He was at work today, due to gear. He drifted outside of a left sweeping corner and went on the soft shoulder, he wasn't paying attention. He tried to correct, hit the edge of the pavement, his front tire deflected and he hit the edge of a rock cliff on his right. Came to an instant stop, and the bike stayed nearly upright. His full-face Scorpion helmet was nearly destroyed, his jacket, pants, and bike sustained nearly no damage. He'll need about $600 of parts to fix the bike, but rode it the remainder of the weekend. He said he found a handful of gravel in his underware. He's missing 1/2 hour of his memory, started remembering things while talking to the emt. He was wearing a Joe Rocket jacket, jeans, boots and full fingered gloves, has a tiny amount of rash on his side and back.

Just saying, wear your gear.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

hurleybt

Re: Insurance and Other.

Postby hurleybt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 am

No idea about Rider.

I like the Versys a lot.

Did he have armored pants or just jeans?

Was the Joe Rocket mesh, mesh/leather, leather or textile?

Glad he came out alright overall.

Zeets

Re: Insurance and Other.

Postby Zeets » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 am

He was wearing a mesh/tex jacket and regular Carhart jeans.

I have the same jacket, I believe it's a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket. I low-sided earlier this summer and only scuffed the forearm of the Jacket. I also scuffed my helmet, my jeans and ground a fair amount off my boot.

I know Joe Rocket is sort of entry level, but my experience so far with their equipment has been very good. The fit is good (and seems to be consistent through their range), the finish and stitching is good, it doesn't have to be squidish, depending on what you choose, and the price is very good. Plus all of my stuff has held up very well.

They probably don't have as scooter friendly stuff as Corazzo or RevIt, but at 2/3 the cost, and cuts that favor someone of my stature, it's an easy sell for me.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

Return to “Time-Wasters”