Words of wisdom from my dad

A little of this, and a lot of that...
Serendipity

Words of wisdom from my dad

Postby Serendipity » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:40 am

he gave me $ for my birthday last year, I bought a bike and it promptly got stolen. He gave me money again this year and says:

".if u want a bicycle ..go to a junkyard..get the parts n have a bike shop put them together.. u should not get that bike stolen"

Can I really get bike parts at the junkyard, or is this just old man wisdom? where is this junkyard? I told him I'd just buy a used one off of craigslist and he said it was too expensive..Instead, if I didn't' want to construct one, I should go to walmart and buy the "women's cruiser" for $120. I am not going to Walmart.
~Jennifer

Zeets

Re: Words of wisdom from my dad

Postby Zeets » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 am

I don't know about a mystical bike junkyard. If I did, I'd likely spend most of my free time there.

Craigslist is a great place to get a bicycle, I've gotten a bunch off of there.

Also, Christan Meyers runs the Velocity Bike Co Op, in Alexandria (or Del Ray if you're a neighborhood snob) He made me a really good deal on a replacement frame for my road bike. He can likely help you out, plus his shop is a throwback, and there's a bunch of neat old frames and parts laying around there.

Or you can buy another new bike and this time, instead of leaving the thing outside like you did with the last one, you leave it in your apartment, or your garage and avoid it getting stolen that way. Just sayin'.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 am

Adam,

Ever been to this?

http://stopswapandsave.com/event_info.html

Serendipity,

I have an cheap, mens road frame from the 80s that would probably be just a little large but still workable for you. You could have it and likely some handlebars, stem and other miscellaneous parts, if you want to build a clunker from scratch.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 am

normratscoots wrote:Adam,

Ever been to this?

http://stopswapandsave.com/event_info.html

Yeah, I've gone to the one in Westminster the last two years. I've got some good deals there. It's best to go towards the end, last year I showed up right before close and ended up spending $20 on a new stem for my road bike, some tires/tubes for my spare bike (which is now sold) some handlebars and some other misc bike stuff. There are a fair amount of dealers that show up and sell new, last years models at reasonable prices. I nearly bought a Gary Fisher Sawyer for around $800 off of list. Plus there are a slew of good used bikes there that individuals are selling. Its a fun time if you like to dig through bins and crates of misc bike parts looking for that one odd piece you need to complete an obsolete project. (Being raised by a father that appreciated junk yard scavenging, means it's a fun time for me) It's not really a swap meet per se, more of a flea market. If Serendipity can wait until February, I'll likely be going up again this year. Plus, it's right around the corner from Maggie's Bar, so I can get a Maggie's melt and a bowl of French onion soup.
If there are people interested in going, I'll be going, will likely have room in my car.
Zayretow

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Lots of good advice here. I'll bet my dad hasn't been to a junkyard in 20 years, but my grandparents were thrifty and not above dumpster diving. Norm, what size is the frame? I'd prefer to err on the size of smaller - I think I was 17"- 19" american. Not sure I feel like building a bike though...who am I kidding?.

I will send Christian a message and see what he's got used.

Adam, if I dont' have a bike by february I would like to go. I think the winter is a good time to buy and french onion soup is one of my favorites.
~Jennifer

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Good question that I can't answer without some significant digging (its at the very back of my shed loft). I can say that my currently-sized bike is 54 cm (21 inches) and that the frame in question was certainly no larger, likely a good bit smaller and I believe it takes a 26" wheel, further reducing standover.
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Standover is the least important measurement, seat tube c-c and top tube c-c are the most important. Standover is a result of tire size, and bottom bracket height.
A woman tends to have a shorter torso and arms, requiring a shorter top tube lenght for a given seat tube.
Zayretow

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Zeets wrote:Standover is the least important measurement, seat tube c-c and top tube c-c are the most important. Standover is a result of tire size, and bottom bracket height.
A woman tends to have a shorter torso and arms, requiring a shorter top tube lenght for a given seat tube.

This is why I ended up going with a new bike last time - I have a proportionally very short torso, so most bikes are uncomfortable. Mine was a little too bent over - after I bought it, I wished I'd gone with the other bike that was a little more upright as my back was hurting and I was using the heel of my hands to prop myself up and the lack of suspension was surprisingly noticeable on the potholed dc streets.
~Jennifer

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:06 pm

All the major manufacturers have women specific geometry these days.

How tall are you? I know that Christian has an older Georgina Terry steel road bike. I think it's a 47cm which is like a 5'2"-5'6" height range. Those were top quality bikes. He has a ton of parts too, he can completely fit it to you.

*added*

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/3357178936.html
Zayretow

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 pm

When I was a bike messenger back in college, they had me cut a few inner tubes into long strips and wrap them around the frame with electrical tape. Basically, ugly it up a bit so the jackasses would hassle nicer bikes.

It worked: I owned that bike for years and years, and no one ever messed with it. You need to be willing to live with a less-than-pretty bike, but if you're talking about building a bike from junk parts, I guess that's not a problem.
mille posti

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:37 am

spoffy wrote:When I was a bike messenger back in college

This is blowing my mind - I'm picturing spoffy with superhero sized calves, wielding a cross body chain. I always wondered if thieves were fooled by the wrap...if i were a thief, I wouldn't steal a bike messenger means of transport, as they'd hunt me down with their chain.

p.s. - autocorrect wanted to change "spoffy" to "spiffy" - I think you should have a word with it.
~Jennifer

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Ha, well I only did it for a few weeks. A few too many near misses from that crazy NYC traffic.
mille posti

dcunited4life

Postby dcunited4life » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 am

I'll bite on this thread...I used to run a blog on cycle commuting here in RVA:

http://rvabikecommuter.wordpress.com/

I stopped posting cause basically my job is an hour from my house by car now but used to be a 6 mile ride each way so I rode most days. Richmond probably isn't as bad as DC in terms of bike theft but I agree with Spoffy on the inner tube idea. Also, locking skewers are available for your wheels/tires if you are concerned about theft of those. To the previous poster who mentioned the Womens Steel Terry frame, that sounds like your winner there although looks like it may not be able to accommodate fenders....all my bikes are steel and fantastic. The worst thing you could do is drop money on a new bike....it's like a car where it's worth nothing after you leave the store. Also familiarize yourself with the features you need on your bike. 2 of my 3 bikes have dropouts (where the rim attaches to the bike) with eyelets for attaching racks and fenders. I could ride to work in a suit with the fenders any day except when it was specifically raining outside at 7 AM when I was headed to work. You'd be surprised how that adds up to maybe 5-10 days a year at most. Gonna ride in the winter? You'll need lights cause after 5pm it's dark outside now.

If you want to come to Richmond I have a women's Schwinn bike with upright handlebars and ten speeds you could have. It was my grandmothers but I have no use for it. Needs a tune up. Sounds like Christian knows what he's doing and could probably handle that for you for $50-100. I'd check his place out for sure if I was you.

Return to “Time-Wasters”