Getting to Corsette/Band Camp

Organize and discuss rallies, rides, and other events
Andi

Getting to Corsette/Band Camp

Postby Andi » Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi all, I'm seeking some advice/help on getting to Pittsburgh, solo, for Corsette. Weds. June 13 (right before Band Camp). Does/Is anyone:
--have a single-bike trailer I could borrow/rent? I have hitch on car.
--heading out there super early as well for some reason that Weds (shot in the dark, I know, but had to ask)?
--heading back to Pittsburgh from ECC with an empty trailer spot for the smallie? (another crazy shot in the dark idea, I know)
--know of a place that will do a one-way pickup truck rental? Uhaul and Enterprise won't.

Worst case I will try to either rent a regular trailer from Uhaul or see if I can borrow someone's...my issue is that my car is old and I'm hesitant to drive it all that ways...but might have to take the chance. In that case, was preferring maybe the little one-bike trailer to hauling a giant heavy thing. Sigh. I dunno!
The wheels are in motion

Zeets

Re: Getting to Corsette/Band Camp

Postby Zeets » Tue May 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Didn't Tony or Norm have one of those "Trailer in a bag" dohickies?

I know Seema has a tiny trailer, but seeing as how it's in Pittsburgh currently, it doesn't help you much.

It'd be my guess that the one way with a Uhaul trailer is your best bet for a rental. May I ask what is so old and crappy with your car that gives you pause to tow 250 miles to Shittsburgh? You don't have to drive like me with a trailer and attempt to break land-speed records with your 4x8 in tandem. As long as you don't try to beat it up the hills and keep your foot a bit light, I'd assume you'd be ok. Unless your car is a REAL POS in which case I'd hold off. The biggest issue is over heating the transmission on up hills, unless it's a manual. Then the only issue is frying the clutch trying to leave stoplights at 7,000 rpm. The actual act of towing shouldn't be hard on any other parts though. Unless it's 110f outside and your cooling system hasn't been maintained in 52 years and the sludge you're pumping around the cooling galleys is so thick that it has the viscosity of cold maple syrup... Then I guess you could overheat too. But other than that...

If you want, I have access to a welder and some torches... we could modify your car into a purpose built scoot hauler. We'll notch out the trunk, modify the trunk lid, build a little ramp that drops out of the back and you can roll your bike right up into the car. It'll sort of look like your car has a small-frame sized tumor on it's ass. Even better, we can make it a composite vehicle. We'll cut the back half of your car all up and remove the rear axle. The scooter will just slide in and engage your vehicle in such a way that the scooter will act as the rear axle and you'll just use your two front wheels to drive and steer your car. We'll add an old P center stand infront of the back seat under the car. You'll just drive up to pittsburgh, put the center stand down, disengage the Smallie and roll it out and you're ready to go scootering, when you're done, just dock the smallie as your rear axle, put up the centerstand and away you go. Added benefit is that if you run the car out of gas (the tank will be painfully small since there'll more than likely be a scooter wheel where the original gas tank existed) you can just put the car in neutral and use the smallie to push your car down the road. Plus this setup will squash your unexplainable desire to own a Can-Am Roadster or MP3. Just bring me your car and your smallie... I can make the two fit together.
Zayretow

70' Vespa Sprint (2009 LML power)
74' Yamaha RD350 (pinger)
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400SM (thumper)

seema

Postby seema » Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm

What the CRAP is Adam ON right now?

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Tue May 29, 2012 10:28 pm

You know you want a smallie car too.
Zayretow

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I think we should have a competition as for who can build the best scooter hauler. I kind of like the idea of a scooter powered scooter hauler you present adam. I think we could cut out the car though and just use a double or triple scooter, preferably reversible for when you have two broken down scooters, vs. just the 1.
~Jennifer

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am

How about a giant trebuchet that we just launch scooters with to their final destinations.
Zayretow

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Wed May 30, 2012 9:26 am

RE: Didn't Tony or Norm have one of those "Trailer in a bag" dohickies?

Yes. Andria, you are more than welcome to borrow ours; I offer some words of caution, however. It is super light and unsuspended. This means it bounces quite a bit over bumps in the road, particularly with a smallframe. In other words, you'll need to take off your cowl doors and go over you bike with a fine tooth comb when you arrive. And my wiring harness is iffy (I leave the lights and plate off, when I use it).
Its a long walk through the city in the rain, its a long walk from train to train.

tony

Postby tony » Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 am

I've got one if you are in need. I leave the lights and plate off as well, as I don't know where the lights went to, and I never bothered to register it.
2011 CORSA BIke! ct90.tumblr.com

Andi

Postby Andi » Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Thank you guys! Norm, Tony, 'preciate it. I think I've gotten everything worked out now. Not that Adams car-adaptation idea wasn't absolutely riveting :wink: And yeah, Seema, whatever he's on? I WANT SOME TOO!

Turns out that Jason H is heading out that way soon and has offered to tote my bike & drop it off at Seemas! And since Adam is being so kind as to haul me+bike back to DC, I'm taking the friggin BUS out to Pittsburgh...! so awesome. I for sure owe some ppl some beers...
The wheels are in motion

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed May 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Zeets wrote:If you want, I have access to a welder and some torches...

Oh yeah? i' ve got a powdercoated project scooter en route that's going to need a weld. Is this something you can fix?

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 pm

I can weld that, but you'll have to get it to and from my buddies shop and its in and out in one day. The powder coat will be ruined around the weld area.
Zayretow

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Zeets wrote:I can weld that, but you'll have to get it to and from my buddies shop and its in and out in one day. The powder coat will be ruined around the weld area.

Awesome. Is the shop nearby? I can do it any day after Band Camp. Since it's just the frame I should be able to fit it into the car somehow.

Not an issue if the powder coat is ruined, assuming I can reapply it afterwards? Is there a way to fix it without f'ing up the powder coat? school a brother. Paint and bodywork are totally foreign to me.

Wait, did I just totally hijack this thread?

Zeets

Postby Zeets » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 am

The shop is in Arlington.

The issue with the powdercoat is that I'll have to grind back around the weld area 1"-2" to keep the powercoat from contaminating my weld. As far as fixing the powercoat, I don't know, you'd have to talk to a powedercoat shop about that. Its not applied like paint, its ionized and blown on as a powder and then baked in an oven where the little particles all melt together and make the final finish. I don't know if you can just patch in small areas or if you have to reapply the entire finish. My question is; why the hell would you powdercoat a frame that has a crack in the leg shield before having the leg shield repaired. (I realize you bought it that way, it's sort of rhetorical)
Zayretow

epsato

Postby epsato » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

Believe me, I had the same question. I bought the scoot and THEN noticed the crack in the frame. Instant thought baloon read: OH SHIT!

Even with the powdercoat removed, I can put some sort of sealant on though, yes? I don't mind the frankenstein look.

Flop Custom said they could do the work too, but keeping it local means quicker (and cheaper) effort. We can chat about it more at Band Camp.

One time, at Band Camp, I picked up a project VNA...

Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 pm

If I'm seeing it correctly, its just a small crack at the top? Why don't you just leave it? It seems like you'd be trading one cosmetic problem for a more noticeable one.
~Jennifer

Return to “Rallies, Rides & Events”