scooter-jacked in Adams Morgan! July 26, 2007

Post alerts about stolen scooters and other criminal mischief
kev187

Postby kev187 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:26 pm

Its always societies fault, that damn society, evil.... society made me need someone elses scooter... grrr....

Anyway, its not just scoots/bikes, car jackings are up this year also. Its DC/PG county, just a mess.... I don't get it. I am federal, so I do not police the local areas, but do know DC Police have their hands full, we end up taking a lot of their routine calls because they just can't get to them. Its ridicuous for a major city.

I guess it takes a few easy hits, before the gangs realize scooters are an easy take, now its seems to be getting out of hand.

jenny

Postby jenny » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 pm

kev187 wrote:I guess it takes a few easy hits, before the gangs realize scooters are an easy take, now its seems to be getting out of hand.

it also seems to pick up a lot in dc each year during the hottest part of the summer. maybe i shouldn't be shocked to hear about these incidents, but i still am -- especially the one from this post, at 18th & florida.
gimme that step-thru, yeah, cuz i need that.

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:50 am

From my recollection, that seems to be where a lot of scooter jackings have ocured in the past. Last year (or maybe the year before last, I forget), I read about a few attempted scooterjackings in the area though DC-MD-VA Scoots. One of them was for a fella's Stella. The kids took the scoot, but were unable to jack the thing because they were too stupid too work the manual transmission. I guess that's one more argument for a classic scooter vs. a twist-and-go.

IMHO, it may be that because Adams Morgan is in some ways a crossroads. On the one hand, you've got the beat up azzed old public school (where up until a year or two ago, there was always some shady fella distributing pharmaceuticals) and several blocks worth of section 8 housing within earshot (during the summer, this means broke kids with no parental supervision and nothing better to do) mixed in with in-your-face affluence (PN Hoffman's condos and lax al fresco dining spots like Lauriel Plaza). The area makes a lot of folks feel at ease and perhaps forget that Adams Morgan is still in the heart of the city, and not situated in the best of areas.

Keep in mind it's still the border between the less pleasant parts of Columbia Heights (14th and Columbia, as just one example), and the blatant yuppie-ism of Woodley Park. While money may have come to that area in the last few years, it still remains one of the hottest spots in DC for petty crimes, robberies, break ins, etc. I guess the message here is that no matter where one is, it's important to keep an eye on the surroundings.

Insult to injury in all of this? This most recent scooter jacking occured maybe three blocks from a major police station (17th and Florida). Clearly, respect for law enforcement does not run high among DC's youth.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am

Of course I'm keeping a much closer eye about my surroundings especially when I ride through that area, but my backup is to stall out the bike and watch the little No Futures try to figure out how to start it before the police get there.

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:04 am

I do the same before entering into my alley (my garage is in a dark alley in Logan's Circle), just in case. Simple precautions always help.

Still, it shouldn't be this way and it irks me that scooterists are "under seige".

That said, I believe solid arguments have been made here for everyone to license, insure and register their scoots. Much as it'd piss me off to have some scumbags ride off with my PX, it's nice to know Statefarm will replace it. But I had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Someday my beloved Allstate will come back to me...

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:11 am

What we need to do is this:

Put someone vulnerable looking on a scooter (Downs, are you coming to DC anytime soon?)

Have them cruise the area. Couple others lie in wait.

Let them take the scooter. Follow behind them at a distance.

Find out where they go/live. Stake them out.

Burn their motherfucking house down when they're inside it. Put a sign in front: "This is what happens to thieves" make sure you don't leave prints on the sign.

Repeat as necessary.
byelaya smert

epsato

Postby epsato » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:45 am

I'm in, but only if we can make it look like an "accident"

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:01 am

I'll shut up - eventually - but when the bar is set so low for kids that its a success story if someone just avoids going to jail and stays in school, nothing's going to change.

beth

Postby beth » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:05 pm

urgh. I just got back from Denver and they couldn't believe me when I told them this happened in DC. I know this goes without saying, but please check your back at intersections and be careful.
Galaxy Slut

normratscoots

Postby normratscoots » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 am

When we were in Kansas City a few weeks back, some lady was scooterjacked at the Plaza, a very ritzy shopping district (think something like Old Town meets Clarendon). Security cameras caught it on tape and it was all over the news. Some shop even gave her a new scooter (there may have been some community fundraising). Anyway, my point is that this was at least momentarily shocking in KC, or at least it was making the news and seemed to be shocking to people attending the conference I was at who were coming from less metropolitan parts of the country. I wonder if a scooter jacking would be as shocking in Old Town Alexandria, or Seven Corners or even Clarendon?

A second thought, I usually keep my cell phone in my brief case. It will now be riding home in my pocket, because boy would it ever suck to loose the bike in Mt. Rainier or at 4th Street and then not be able to immediately dial it in.

kev187

Postby kev187 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:56 am

Would a scooter jacking be big new in Alexandria/Arlington/Fairfax?

Sadly, you hear these stories & people go (well its DC)

I can tell you, DC has on average a murder or two a week & it does not barely make the news ever. Have a murder in Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax? Its big big local news.

Violent Crime in DC, or any other major seat vs. the "burbs" is all too common, DC is a mess sadly. So be careful.[/quote]

Return to “Neighborhood Watch”