scooter-jacked in Adams Morgan! July 26, 2007

Post alerts about stolen scooters and other criminal mischief
zumadude

scooter-jacked in Adams Morgan! July 26, 2007

Postby zumadude » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 pm

hi - new to the forum, but wanted to let everyone know that i was scooter-jacked last night in Adams Morgan around 9:30pm...basically in broad daylight if you consider the time and place.

I was on 18th St and Florida waiting for the light to turn when someone sat behind me on the scooter and said, "C'mon, man. Let's go for a ride." I thought he was kidding and I laughed and looked back and said, "Nah, man. Not today." Next, I feel a pistola on my spine and the dude says, "I'm putting five caps in you if you don't take off or get the fuck off."

He then told his friend to wait at the corner. I turned around and asked him if he was serious - he pushed the gun up harder. The light turned green, I saw visions of being in a wheelchair, and just got off. He rode to the corner, picked up his boy and gunned up Vernon (one-way street) toward Columbia Rd.

I filed a police report, but I did not have it registered in DC - yes, big mistake! Nor did I get off my lazy ass to insure it. It's a black and silver 2003 Yamaha Zuma (50cc) with a "Save Tibet" sticker on the back. All my keys went with the scooter - house, car, etc.

Below are description of the suspect:
* 5'11, 155 lbs, 16 - 18 yrs old, black male, dark complexion, short dreads
* White t-shirt, blue jeans, sneakers
* His friend is same description except without the dreads

If you have seen it around the Adams Morgan/Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights neighborhoods being driven by the suspects ID'd above, pls let me know! I miss it a lot. I have not gone out to get my smokes and coffee this morning - can't stand the tought of not riding.

Thanks! Any help appreciated!!

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:30 pm

standard fare for d.c. all you can do is try to be conscience of your surroundings- seems like there's nothing you could have done in this case. you did the right thing by getting off.

as far as recovering it, the fact they rode off with it makes it more difficult. driving around to look for it wouldn't hurt though. after a few days, i'd call the impound lot frequently to see if it shows up there. hopefully you have the title for it to prove ownership.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Glad you're ok. This is complete bullshit and there is no excuse for it. Maybe more would be done about this stuff if 2-wheelers got together, demanded a meeting with police, and got some local news coverage (WTOP, Channel 8, City Paper, Post. Right now, you file a report and nothing happens.

rob wrote:standard fare for d.c. all you can do is try to be conscience of your surroundings- seems like there's nothing you could have done in this case. you did the right thing by getting off.

as far as recovering it, the fact they rode off with it makes it more difficult. driving around to look for it wouldn't hurt though. after a few days, i'd call the impound lot frequently to see if it shows up there. hopefully you have the title for it to prove ownership.

doc

Postby doc » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear about the incident. We'll keep our eyes open. Martin, you may be right about getting together. There was that reporter who wanted to do a scooter story last week...he who shall not be named posted his name and number on one of the Yahoo groups. Perhaps we should push the story line with him since he has an interest in writing a story. I'd be happy to call him and make the pitch. Does anyone have an objection?

Zumadude, if he is interested would you be willing to recount your story (even if he withheld the name?)
Last edited by doc on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

zumadude

Postby zumadude » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:15 pm

hell yes, i would be more than happy to participate! in fact, i was going to call City Paper today to ask if anyone was interested in doing a story. let me know if you need anything from me to get this going...

appreciate all the love and support here.

doc

Postby doc » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I just got off the phone with the reporter that he who shall not be named had mentioned...actually he is an intern at the Washington Times and today's his last day...I pitched him the scooterjacking story angle regardless and asked him if he would pass this on to his boss and that we wanted some media attention on this, so why not grab the story before we start calling other papers? He thought it would be an interesting piece and said he would pass it along...who knows, perhaps we'll get a call back....
Pat

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:11 am

There was an article in the City Paper awhile back, but that was it. I'd at least like to call in to the chief the next time she's on WTOP and put her on public notice that there's an issue out there and something needs to be done.

SpecialX200

Postby SpecialX200 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 pm

I don't think there should be an article on scooter jacking until it involves the rider getting off the scooter and beating the thief to death with either a lock or a helmet. Putting a story out like this would just give kids who aren't already doing it the idea.
freno a disco!

zumadude

Postby zumadude » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:34 pm

i got a callback from Mike DeBonis, senior editor of City Paper. he said they ran a story on scooter theft back in Oct 2005 and have decided to not pursue another one just yet. the reporter who did that story will call me to get some follow up info...

check out the article from 2005...

https://secure.washingtoncitypaper.com/ ... 8/dl_theft

white noise

Postby white noise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:35 pm

Terrible story. I'm glad noone got injured.

Makes me think if perhaps a dummy cat container strapped to the passenger seat would help to avoid such incidences. At least nobody can jump on...
I am interested in scooters AND handbags.

doc

Postby doc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 pm

I had a similar thought Lana...I ordered a top case for Annette's scooter last night under the assumption that it would make it more difficult for someone to jump on the back from behind (and could also double as a cat carrier in spite of the "no pets" warning!). Of course that silly basket she has on the front of her scoot ought to be a pretty efective deterent as well (I know if keeps me from ever getting on the damn thing).
Pat

AirborneVespa

Postby AirborneVespa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:18 am

white noise wrote:Terrible story. I'm glad noone got injured.

By " no one" do you mean no one at all, or do you mean the guy on the scooter?

Because the person who took it deserves to be injured. A thief deserves no less than to have bricks thrown at their skull while someone else hammers their balls to the ground.

Then lit on fire.
byelaya smert

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:32 pm

SHUT UP, YOU DONKEY!!!

kev187

Postby kev187 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:22 pm

A few weeks back one of the officers on my department had someone attempt to jack his bike. He lives in the NE on 5th street. He had a guy pull a gun on him while he was preparing to lock up his KLX400 Kawasaki. The guy got on his bike, then demanded his gloves & helmet, & the officer was able to identify himself as a police officer & shot the guy 7 times, the theif fired twice, but missed. He died that evening. I think its time for him to move out of the district.

Its just sad, what the hell is going on with the massive uprise in bike/scooter jacking? I am glad I live in Virginia, I do need to be more prepared riding into the city though.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:01 pm

"The lights are growing dim Otto. I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate, and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am. "

Return to “Neighborhood Watch”