Recent scooterjackings

Post alerts about stolen scooters and other criminal mischief
Spiny Norman

Recent scooterjackings

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 am

I sent the following to WTOP, and I'll try to hit up the local TV stations.

I would like to alert you to a series of assaults involving scooters in the DC Third District PSD. Each incident involved an assault on a person on a scooter who was waiting at an intersection. The first that I know of occurred in May near Cardoza HS (http://www.dcscoots.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=592), and two more have occurred recently, one in Adams Morgan on July 26, which involved a gun (http://www.wmasa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1010) and another at Park Rd. and Pine St., N.W. on July 30 (http://www.wmasa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1017). There may be more incidents that I don't know about. This is getting ridiculous and dangerous, and the police don't seem to be handling these incidents as anything other than routine and isolated incidents. I and many of my friends ride through those areas every day, and have a right to expect that we will not be attacked in route. I am hoping that you might report on these incidents so that they will be treated more seriously before sombody gets hurt or killed.

Thank you.

jenny

Postby jenny » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 am

nice work, spiny. thanks.
gimme that step-thru, yeah, cuz i need that.

zumadude

Postby zumadude » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:02 pm

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:26 pm

am i the only one that thinks that headline sucks royal ass? seems to make light of the situation.

so i guess according to the dc po-po, scooter thefts aren't that big a deal...which actually may be correct, on the grand scheme of things.

spoffy

Postby spoffy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 pm

rob wrote:am i the only one that thinks that headline sucks royal ass? seems to make light of the situation.

seriously, what a lame headline! (why must we make life difficult for the poor scooterjackers - all they want to do is ride!) :roll:

oh well, at least they reported the incident. hopefully, the attention they can draw to the problem will help recover the scooter or, at very least, encourage other riders to stay alert...
mille posti

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:36 pm

And there's no reason to be alarmed because the number of scooterjackings has been holding steady. Phwew!

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 pm

If you take the little deals seriously, there will be less big deals to worry about.

rob wrote:am i the only one that thinks that headline sucks royal ass? seems to make light of the situation.

so i guess according to the dc po-po, scooter thefts aren't that big a deal...which actually may be correct, on the grand scheme of things.

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 pm

well, i agree, martin. i think the problem is a combination of too little police officers and institutionalized failure within the dc pd. they bust a guy and know they didn't even make a dent and he'll be back on the street in no time.

unfortunately, in a city that has so much violent crime, they're not going to worry about the small things (scooter jackings) until someone dies. scratch that. several grandmothers die.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:25 am

In alot of cities they've finally come to the realization that the people who commit the petty crimes are the same one that have, or will, commit the big ones. So you prosecute the petty ones instead of turning a blind eye, and the big ones begin to occur less frequently. This is especially the case with 3 strike laws, although I have problems putting someone away for life for 3 minor crimes.

rob
tinasso emeritus

Postby rob » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:48 am

i agree- however you need a police force that can accommodate that. i've certainly seen my share of cops fucking off on the job, but i'm sure they're kept quite busy. i think kevin's example of cops being tied up with homicides and unable to assist with more minor crimes highlights that.

last summer when they had the curfew and more cops on the streets, that cost a significant amount of money but i recall it worked. if they found a way to make that their standard force, you'd think things would be better.

it's all a matter of money and priorities it seems.

Return to “Neighborhood Watch”